Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rusty_shackleford, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Sranchammer Arcane

Sranchammer

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    I'd challenge you to mutual combat if I were black.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. PEACH Savant

PEACH
    Alpha Protocol is some of the worst popamole I've ever sat through.

Some people would give getting shot in the dick with a nailgun a good review if they could choose the nails.

• Funny x 4
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Sinatar Arbiter

Sinatar
    I'm not a story nerd, so the mega text heavy RPG's like Planescape and Disco do nothing for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Was about to say that

^ Top  
  5. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Wrath of the Righteous :smug:

Because
    Show Spoiler
    :whiteknight::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues::whiteknight:

• Funny x 14
    • Disagree x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Someone has issues x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    I honestly believe that the ridiculous power creep is a worse problem of wrath than the sjw bs. "but you like high level". Yes. I love NWN1Hotu and NWN2MoTB but a archdevil is the final main antagonist in NWN1 hotu and you need to do a lot of quests to even have a fighting chance. You fight dozens of demon lords and archdevils in pfwotr in chapter 4/5/6 to the point that they are just another monster. I would love if OwlCat adapts a AP which ends around lv 15. That is not low level. Come on, Adult Red Dragons are CR 13 and Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager has lv cap = 15.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Wall Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

The Wall
    Poles havent made single good RPG in last 10 years. Russians and Czechs are incline bringers. Poles are try hard wanna be Americans of the East. Polish women are ok

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. The Wall Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

The Wall
    Most overrated RPG on Codex?
    Anything made by Nu-Obsidian

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Sjukob Arcane

Sjukob
    Morrowind is easily the most overrated game ever, not just here on Codex, but in general.

The only good things about it are it's concept and pretty decently done world. Everything else is just bad.

It's amusing to see it's fans furiously arguing about lore, hidden meanings, other games in the series and whatever else on the internet, trying to prove something to each other. I guess it's more fun to engage in forum wars than actually trying to play their beloved game.

• Disagree x 12
    • Agree x 8
    • Brofist x 5
    • No x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Meredoth Arcane

Meredoth
    Morrowind is very amazing and immersive. I loved it but I agree that is a bit overrated.

Now the most underrated RPG is IMO Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. perfectslumbers Scholar

perfectslumbers
    Was gonna say Morrowind but Sjukob beat me to it. I enjoy following directions and it's cool slowly becoming a god but Morrowind has a lot of issues. Bethesda is so bad at storytelling that the games interesting story is more interesting when a friend tells you about it or you read it on a wiki than the story actually is in game, and the interesting lore is very poorly conveyed imo. The npcs are extremely lifeless, with an even more wiki-like feel than Daggerfall. And they removed dynamic music for some reason, splitting the soundtrack into "outdoors," and "dungeons," whereas Daggerfall had a legitimate dynamic music system. It's not a bad game but definitely overrated, imo a large part of why it's viewed so well is because the next 2 games are highly casualised, but TES games have always been casual relative to the other games at the time. As deeper RPGS have been making a comeback I expect the next Bethesda games to be somewhat deeper as well, although still ultimately accessible.

I think Planescape is sort of overrated too. It's very well written but the game falls off a cliff halfway through and ends up designed like Throne of Bhaal but with bad combat. I was very surprised when I first played Planescape because the prevailing narrative was that you could talk through most of the game and only needed to do a couple fights. This however assumes that you literally run past every enemy in the game, so I blame rpg fans for false advertisement. Still better than Disco Elysium though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    what Czech games are incline?

• FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Alright, bitches, if no one's gonna do it, I will.

I stand my ground: I think that The Codex, for the most part, hold each other in check, and holds each RPG in scrutiny in such a way that there IS no RPG that is overrated.

In fact, I dare say, that the mere concept of any active participants letting others tout an RPG as better than it actually is, is beyond comprehension.

:whiteknight:

And so in front of this test I will not waver: I trust my bros to tell me if what RPG I like is bad, and why.

:whiteknight:

• Salute Salute x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    I'll probably go with Plansecape Torment it seemed like more of a book than a game to me.

Arcanum's combat was also so laughably clunky it was hard to appreciate the rest of the game that was pretty decent.

The Temple of Elemental Evil managed to mix probably the best turn-based implementation of the D&D ruleset ever with mind-numbingly repetitive encounter design. I think I must have rendered the entire bugbear race extinct with my two playthroughs...

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. The Wall Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

The Wall
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    My first playthrough of PST was as a fighter and I had a lot of combat. I did a playthrough years later as a mage with high int/wis or w/e and it let me skip a ton of combat.
    To some degree I wonder what percent of "PST doesn't have combat" is influenced by meta-gaming. Maybe it would have been less of a deal if there were more player class options?

Guess I'll recommend the opposite then: Do a playthrough of PST as a fighter with mediocre int/wis.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Pretty much most modern cRPGs are overrated as fuck, or they cargo cult Baldur's Gate, or they cargo cult Fallout, or they cargo cult XCOM, now some are even cargo cults of second generation by cargo culting what are already cargo cults, yeah sure, people can take a dump on old games as much as they want, they were buggy, unfinished and some got close to be visual novels but boy... I never complained about lack of originality. I feel like I played Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate a few times already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ramnozack Savant Patron

Ramnozack
    ELEX.

Gameplay is boring and unbalanced as hell, world is empty and boring, story is boring, all the women have the same ugly potato face.

• Agree x 5
    • Shit x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Racist x 2
    • Heresy x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Generic-Giant-Spider Unwanted

Unwanted
    Planescape Torment being the #1 RPG on this site shows we have a long way to go. A very long way.

Fallout 1 is a decent-good game and that is all it'll ever be no matter how much you smack its fat cockhead on your eager tongue.

Here's the thing: I like FO1 overall. I think any game that lets you talk the final boss to death or a victory condition is really gay but the game itself is fine and has the best atmosphere of any Fallout. What I find the most insufferable are its gormless dickriders. It has this Dark Soulsian effect where the game itself is fine but because it has so many blind bitches ready to eat its asshole at a moments notice makes you start to dislike it by association.

And let's call it out, Fallout 1 on this site may as well be the brofist button. You could make a post saying you love gay marriage, you support transsexuals, you collect funko-pops, you love furbabies/your cats, all that. You could say the most vile things along those lines BUT if you put at the end of your post "I love Fallout 1. Arguably the best RPG of all time. Fucking amazing and life-changing game." you're gonna get brofists, four agrees and a friendly from Sukhavati. It's like you made a really fucking dumb post but because you seasoned it with a Fallout 1 praise then it's redeemable and you get a free pass.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Fallout 1 on the Codex is going into a stadium and saying you hope the hometown team whoops ass in the game tonight. It's a cheap pop.

So you know what? Fallout 1, you're a cool game. Twenty years ago a real cool game. I like you. But fuck you. You're dogshit and if better games gotta go through burning coals of scathing judgment so does your monkey ass. I'm glad Todd Howard saved Fallout as a franchise because otherwise it'd be in the same limbo hell as Vampire the Masquerade.

What do you think about that? Hey... hey... flicks toothpick I'm talking to you.

• Funny x 19
    • Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Math! x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Planescape Torment is a glorified adventure game or visual novel. Disco Elysium is worse in that it also gives you the random game overs / deaths a la CYOA book / adventure games. Yet hipster storyfags eat this up as the saviours of all that is RPG. Pretentious overrated trash.

• Brofist x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • sad x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nortar Prophet Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Do you sincerely believe that e(le)xaggerated ELEX cult is not tongue-in-cheek?

Back on topic, the high praises Shadowrun games get always seemed strange to me.
    Everything made by Harebrained looks and plays like shit intended for mobiles. They even managed to fuck up Battletech.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Contagium Learned Patron

Contagium
    This is just "Trigger the Codex with a statement" all over again

• Agree x 10
    • Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. 111111111 Savant

every single wizardry

• Disagree x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    IE games. They're all shit.
    I like PST tho.

• Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Heresy x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.