Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rusty_shackleford, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Nothing. Some people just aren't monocled enough for them.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    It's not blobbers per se, it's that they tend to fall into this category far more than any other cRPG subgenre. Games like Wizardry 8 are obvious counterexamples.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Aemar Arcane

Aemar
    Witcher 3 is not even an RPG to begin with.

Most overrated RPG ever: Planescape:Torment.

• Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. notpl Educated

notpl
    I came in here to post Planescape but after skimming I have to agree with Arcanum, since Planescape is at least a feature-complete game that mostly does what it says on the tin. I love them both but I'd be embarrassed to recommend either of them to a normal person who didn't grow up eating hackneyed broken crpg bullshit by the shovelful like we all did.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sigard Savant

sigard
    everything

• No No x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. 50726f73706572 Arcane Patron Developer

50726f73706572
    You poor poor men.
    I can ban your key for you if you like.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    For those who mentioned twitcher 3 and Apescape torment: Ur gay.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Piotrovitz Learned

Piotrovitz
    I'd say Arcanum - people tend to mythologize it and praise it not for what it is, but rather for what they want/wanted it to be.

No reason not to love it, but every time I try a new run I just feel a pain in my heart seeing all the lost potential.

It's not a flawed gem - it's a chipped, scratched, and cracked gem, that you have to learn to, or be in a right mindset, to enjoy.

• Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What the hell next you gonna say you like Ewoks or what mate?

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Because they were brown, as a kid I always thought they were called "Ewogs"

• Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Almost all Blobbers are total combat/exploration dungeon crawls and lack much of what the typical Codexer seeks in an RPG. They're often enjoyable, but separate genres.

^ Top  
  12. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    Ewoks:
    [​IMG]
    :happytrollboy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    If "what the typical Codexer seeks in an RPG" is choices&consequences, then the typical Codexer would be better off playing RPGs with a human GM. Games like the Fallouts and Arcanum are rather frustrating to me; they feel so limited since any interaction with NPCs could have been made much better with a human GM. It's a bit like any romances and "tiddies" in games are no substitute for the real thing, and the story is always inferior to a good novel, and therefore computer versions don't interest me much.
    More combat focused CRPGs and blobbers utilizes the power of the computer medium much better IMO.

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. barghwata Savant

barghwata
    Judging from the codex's top 100, i would say the most overrated ones are Age of Decadence and Morrowind. One is basically a text adventure game with a tacked on and shallow combat system, and the other is, well.......a bethesda game.......

• No No x 3
    ^ Top  
  15. Serus Arcane Patron

Serus
    I agree with you (as you probably know) but i think he meant: "bad stories and romances".

^ Top  
  16. barghwata Savant

barghwata
    Can you not make the same argument for combat focused CRPGs? tabletop allows you to approach combat in any manner you want with alot of freedom as long as the GM is willing to go along with what you want to do, as opposed to CRPGs where combat systems are generally abstract and limited, plus there is also the fact that you're basically fighting against an intelligent GM as opposed to dumfuck predictable AI in a video game.

Also i have to add, "blobbers utilizes the power of the computer medium much better" sounds really funny to me when most blobber combat systems don't even simulate things like positioning, verticality, utilising the environment to your advantage etc.... nearly as well as other kinds of crpgs.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Blobbers are an objectively worse design than isometric games. Something can have a worse design but still end up being a quality RPG, but that doesn't change the fact that a well done isometric RPG will prove superior to a well done blobber in almost every conceivable way.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. luj1 You're all shills Vatnik

luj1
    that doesnt devalue underrail at all

its like saying morrowind sucks because it has level scaling (which shows only in theory not practice)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Serus Arcane Patron

Serus
    However combat is
    a) easier to do well than interactive story/C&C. Proof, there are good combat-centric crpgs with good combat. There are very few good c&c games and even fewer because of their c&c. People are just deluded, they think some end slider that aren't even part of gameplay constitute c&c, let alone good one.
    b) you can abstract combat rules more easily
    c) there are some games with semi decent ai, also because b). There are not a single really good interactive story crpg.
    So, you are right that computer rpg, including a combat-centric one, will always be inferior in some ways to tabletop. It just that in practice a combat one is a lot less inferior. Give me good interactive stories with REAL c&c and reactive worlds and i'll change my mind.

Sorry to hijack the conversation.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Isometric combat trumps blobber combat, but blobber exploration trumps isometric exploration. The Gold Box combination of both systems is best.

• Agree x 4
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Twiglard Poland Stronk Patron Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Strap Yourselves In
    Never said it did.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    Honest to god, I don't think I've seen a blobber that doesn't look like complete shit in terms of how they portray the surroundings. Care to list some examples to prove me wrong?

EDIT: Lands of Lore, for example, has a great art style, but it really doesn't strike any sense of wonder or exploration in me. Nothing about my surroundings was particularly stimulating.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. barghwata Savant

barghwata
    Yes, C&C in video games is obviously going to be limited, in the same way that combat systems in crpgs are always going to be mere abstract imitations of the much more interactive and involving combat experiences you'll find in tabletop, that doesn't mean they're bad games or that they can't be enjoyable, just as much as those C&C games can be enjoyable as well. The fact that you think one is acceptable and the other is not is just a matter of your personal taste nothing more.

That's the problem tho, CRPG combat systems are too abstract, while in tabletop you can approach combat situations in any number of creative ways, limited only by your imagination and how nice your GM is. In computer games you're always limited to a very specific number of possible actions to take each turn defined by the game's mechanics. It's just never going to be like tabletop, and it doesn't have to, CRPGs and tabletop offer two different experiences, with different downsides and upsides.

for a video game..... yeah.

But that wasn't my point; i like combat centric rpgs they're fine, i was just playing devil's advocate to showcase that someone can just as easily use this same argument "it's not like in tabletop therefore it's bad" to dismiss combat focused RPGs just as much as any C&C focused ones. My point is that this argument is weak, tabletop isn't some ideal that all CRPGs should be judged by, it's a different genre all together.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Care to explain yourself, I'm not sure what you mean.

I can agree to this, LoL doesn't have a compelling exploration, just the opposite, mazes-like maps with little to discover and everything looking the same, EotB picked the same formula and I dislike them equally.

Might & Magic III & IV did way better (i don't like Darkside's exploration that much due to micro locations and less interesting early overworld exploration), particularly III with a lot of secrets, hidden dungeons in every corner, hidden NPC and secrets, hidden weapon caches and of course, the different terrain types makes exploration more interesting and the overworld easier to navigate and that's before you even use the automap.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.