Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Honestly all Dark Souls are overrated. Boring and repetitive game loop sold as a feature. If I were looking for a game with a repetitive game loop I would rather play Pac-Man.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Honestly all Dark Souls are overrated. Boring and repetitive game loop sold as a feature. If I were looking for a game with a repetitive game loop I would rather play Pac-Man.

As I grow older and bitter, I'm becoming desensitized to the stimulations of real time gameplay in general. What once produced excitement in me now either feels excessively easy and banal or excessively hard and frustrating.

Darklands will never be overrated. The more you play it, the more you realize how great it is. It's the first idle game RPG that rewards the player even for short adventures and just exploring with no particular goal. The sheer amount of interesting things in it exceeds that of million dollar AAA games with ease.

Here's a great video of Sandy Petersen talking about what it was like working at Microprose at the time Darklands was being developed.

Dark lands indeed

Ryzer

Arcane
There's nothing more overrated than the original Deus Ex. The gameplay is boring and provides no particular good feeling. The voice acting is really bad. The dialogues feel amateur, the game is boring too.
I hate this game because it was sold to me as the greatest game ever made.

gaussgunner

Arcane

As I grow older and bitter, I'm becoming desensitized to the stimulations of real time gameplay in general. What once produced excitement in me now either feels excessively easy and banal or excessively hard and frustrating.

Darklands will never be overrated. The more you play it, the more you realize how great it is. It's the first idle game RPG that rewards the player even for short adventures and just exploring with no particular goal. The sheer amount of interesting things in it exceeds that of million dollar AAA games with ease.

Here's a great video of Sandy Petersen talking about what it was like working at Microprose at the time Darklands was being developed.

Dark lands indeed

Then it's definitely overrated if Microprose rushed it out the door as they were going under. Yes, I have played it, didn't think it was anything special even for its time. And it's fucking RTwP.

gaussgunner

Arcane
There's nothing more overrated than the original Deus Ex. The gameplay is boring and provides no particular good feeling. The voice acting is really bad. The dialogues feel amateur, the game is boring too.

That it most certainly ain't. It has some of Witcher 3's shortcomings, but it's better than that. It's highly regarded a the first big hybrid stealth-shooter-RPG-story game that was any good, it's still the best game in the franchise, it's better than 99.997% of new shit, and it's an endless font of memes.

Codex Year of the Donut

Falksi

Arcane
One things for sure, that Codex top 101 list needs a revisit. We're as bad as normies whilst ever we're promoting games like The Witcher 3, Oblivion and Divinity Original Wank over games like Escape From The Pit.

Codex Year of the Donut
One things for sure, that Codex top 101 list needs a revisit. We're as bad as normies whilst ever we're promoting games like The Witcher 3, Oblivion and Divinity Original Wank over games like Escape From The Pit.
I'm sorry, but kingmaker is easily one of the worst games in the list for its position on the list
most people probably forgot how high it scored considering how it has barely even been mentioned itt

To quote my post from the time the list was made,
It's a decent game, but I expect it to fall down to the 50s or 60s the next time rankings come up.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm sorry, but kingmaker is easily one of the worst games in the list for its position on the list
most people probably forgot how high it scored considering how it has barely even been mentioned itt

It's a decent game, but I expect it to fall down to the 50s or 60s the next time rankings come up.

Still yet to play Kingmaker, so don't have an opinion on it yet, but either way let's get these games reranked.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Be careful what you wish for. This could become the new Codex top 10:
1.) The Witcher 3
2.) The Witcher
3.) Cyberpunk 2077
4.) The Witcher 2
5.) Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
6.) Pathfinder: Kingmaker
7.) ATOM RPG
8.) Encased
9.) ATOM RPG Trudograd
10.) Gamedec

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Be careful what you wish for. This could become the new Codex top 10:
1.) Disco Elysium
2.) The Witcher 3
3.) The Witcher 2
4.) Undertale
5.) Shin Megami Tensei V
6.) Tales of Arise
7.) Scarlet Nexus
8.) Dark Souls
9.) Diablo II Remastered
10.) Persona 5

FTFY

dacencora

I mentioned it a few posts back, and I didn’t realize how highly it ranked on the top 101. It absolutely does not deserve to be that high. Like I said, it’s not a terrible game, by any means, but it’s mediocre in many ways.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I mentioned it a few posts back, and I didn’t realize how highly it ranked on the top 101. It absolutely does not deserve to be that high. Like I said, it’s not a terrible game, by any means, but it’s mediocre in many ways.

I'd say the issue is more that different people look for different things in games and rank them accordingly. You don't have to look further than commentary on games like Disco Elysium, PST, or Arcanum to see that. Or pretty much any other high profile game that people have shit on in here (e.g. I think this is the first time I've seen someone call out Deus Ex).

Besides that... Escape from the Pit or any other Vogel game in the top 10 RPGs of all time? :hahano:

I see the lists more as a sign of how trends wax and wane and users become more or less into story faggotry, concerned about C&C, character skill-based vs. player skill-based, etc.

Honestly Arcanum is a massive turd, nearly everything about is is clunky and combat is poke your eyes out levels of bad,. The only thing it has going for it is the setting and muh playthrough variety.
Nah, only combat is bad in arcanum, and it's only as clunky as other RPGs of its era, ie. Fallouts, ToEE. Not only is the setting and build variety good but also the writing, music and art direction.

I think Baldur's gate 1 is overrated here. Childish writing, trashmob filled combat and huge empty maps you have to walk through bring it down for me.

While I agree, combat was better in Fallout than in Arcanum. So looking forward to that game at the time after playing the Fallout games on release, that the combat ended up being a step backwards from their previous game did suck. Still, just about everything else was much better than in Fallout.

It did also suck that kids were gone. There being kids in Fallout made the world fell a little more real than other games; also being able to kill kids gave the game an extra little bit of flair, and a cool laissez-faire attitude.

curds

Magister
It did also suck that kids were gone. There being kids in Fallout made the world fell a little more real than other games; also being able to kill kids gave the game an extra little bit of flair, and a cool laissez-faire attitude.
You know, I never even noticed there wasn't kids in arcanum.

You know, I never even noticed there wasn't kids in arcanum.

Probably the Gnomes. Gnomes kind of make it look like well dressed children are running around the city.

Funposter

Arcane
Lacking children is sort of the same as a video game lacking toilets/bathrooms. You don't really notice it until someone points it out, and the lack of them doesn't really detract from the experience in any meaningful way. You just sort of go "oh yeah".

KateMicucci

Arcane
I'd say the issue is more that different people look for different things in games and rank them accordingly. You don't have to look further than commentary on games like Disco Elysium, PST, or Arcanum to see that. Or pretty much any other high profile game that people have shit on in here (e.g. I think this is the first time I've seen someone call out Deus Ex).
Right. Kingmaker is a great, well-made game, for the people who want the kind of game Kingmaker is (not me).

dacencora

Right. Kingmaker is a great, well-made game, for the people who want the kind of game Kingmaker is (not me).
I’m not sure it is. If a person is only interested in building characters, maybe, but the combat encounters are mediocre at best, and the story/writing are fairly mediocre too. The story/writing being mediocre wouldn’t be too bad if there wasn’t so much of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom