Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a lot of shit games with a cult following here, but one of them stands above the others in being the most overrated game on the site.
Which do you think it is?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Disco Elysium.

I've tried to beat it three times (stopped playing when they started the new update initially) but each time I find myself having to do the same thing to get to the same location like there is hardly any branching paths to the narrative aside from fluff text. Actually the voice acting they added brought some of the game down for me as well.

I guess Planescape kinda does this, but at least it tried combat and somehow managed to be less pretentious, even thought it dealt with deeper material.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DOS2. Cooldowns. Archers that can't hit target at 14m. Low lethality. Awful diablo 3 style stat stickie loot. Awful writing. In therm of game mechanics, DOS1 is awful like D&D 4E. And DOS2 has the retarded armor system which is the worst armor system even implemented.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm probably gotta get some somewhat deserved heat for that one but for me it's Temple of Elemental Evil. On one hand it's an adaptation of a classic module, which brought it to the wider audience who's not really into retro modules. Also it's probably the most faithful adaptation of DnD and it should become a template of how future RPGs should play like. Giving the party entirely different justification for
On the other hand the plot is rather bland, most of the combat encounters are a slog, NPCs aren't memorable, Hommlett is extremely boring, bosses are disappointing, the quests aren't too interesting, the entire setting is rather banal. Great game systems are brought down by rather underwhelming content. Too bad it didn't have an option to create your own modules like Neverwinter Nights did. It's not a bad game but any means. I just don't feel that it deserve to be presented as one of THE greatest RPGs ever.
I put it over games like Original Sin, Witcher 3, Disco Elysium etc. since these have their own dedicated haters which makes them less overrated in comparison. I don't consider them better though.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Disco Elysium.
In a not-so-distant future when non-games become normalized as "RPGs" here on Codex we'll look back and realize THIS TURD was the point where it all went downhill. No combat = not an RPG. Minesweeper is a better RPG than Elysium.

But this thread requires opening a bigger can of worms and I shall do so: Planescape Boredom. Can't believe this snoozefest is considered GOAT. "Bla bla bla, something death, life, something something, guilt, flying skull says unintelligible gibberish" FUCK OFF, I got enemies to slay and loot to collect and this game provides neither. I'll replay any Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate for the 10th time before giving PS:T another try.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Disco Elysium because the one area you play in is smaller than the starting town in any good RPG. I could get by without combat if there was more interesting people to talk to. It's just...the music drones on and on and I am not that impressed by playing as a drug addict that everyone hates. The politics it rams down your throat can peg you as a commie just for agreeing with one or two situations. It is good but not the best game ever so I choose it. That good Rusty?

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Disco Elysium.
In a not-so-distant future when non-games become normalized as "RPGs" here on Codex we'll look back and realize THIS TURD was the point where it all went downhill. No combat = not an RPG. Minesweeper is a better RPG than Elysium.

But this thread requires opening a bigger can of worms and I shall do so: Planescape Boredom. Can't believe this snoozefest is considered GOAT. "Bla bla bla, something death, life, something something, guilt, flying skull says unintelligible gibberish" FUCK OFF, I got enemies to slay and loot to collect and this game provides neither. I'll replay any Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate for the 10th time before giving PS:T another try.

This, PS:T and Disco Elysium are turds of the highest order.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?
ERYFKRAD

jYH1Oq1.jpg

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Honestly Arcanum is a massive turd, nearly everything about is is clunky and combat is poke your eyes out levels of bad,. The only thing it has going for it is the setting and muh playthrough variety.
I knew you were MCA's alt. Trust me, there are builds that can deal with those wolves.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout: New Vegas. The game is not bad but it's still Oblivion with guns.
Oblivion: :rpgcodex:

Oblivion with Guns: :fight:

Oblivion with Guns and Skill Checks: :happytrollboy:

Is Oblivion with guns + a lot of cool guns and interesting survival mechanics. Specially in hardcore.

Shotguns in FNV : Slugs, Flechette, Magnum, Pulse, Buckshot, Coinshot, Dragon's Breath(...)
Shotguns in Oblivion with guns : Buckshot

Using a lever action .45-70 rifle to hunt mutant wild animals and a .50 BMG high explosive anti materiel rifle to blow up armored robots at 100m+ away is cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom