Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

FriendlyMerchant

That sounds incredibly gay. Bruh FriendlyMerchant can you imagine if our dnd sessions was some gay LARRP like pbta?!
That sounds pretty gay. If I wanted to LARP like that, I'd hire a prostitute to dress like nazi while I roleplay a humble merchant. It'd probably have a much better time that pbta.

Ash

Arcane
Pulse grenade = calm robot

Do you even know what a fucking "calm" spell is? Killing something is not calming it lmao. :lol:
Fucking New Vegas tards, everytime.

I have a history of trashtalking one game and defending the other, switching positions over time.

Nonsensical opinions, an emotionally-charged reaction to what was basically a joke post, and constant flip-flopping/can't make up your mind

8.jpg

Also Viva New Vegas is not a guide one should follow or base their own guide upon

Blobbers subgenre as a whole is overrated af. There is a reason why isometric RPGs are making a comeback, but blobbers are still dead. People played them as kids, and 10yo's will enjoy any garbage you'll serve them, so now they defend them because of nostalgia, but even those "fans" don't actually want to play this shit again.

If some western developer put a little more effort into the visual side of things when doing their new blobbers, more than the nothing at all Might and Magic X and The Bard's Tale 4 do, they'd probably do better than new western RPGs with a isometric view...that is if by isometric RPGs you're talking RPGs with some kind of turn based tactical system or ones with real-time with pause and not simply the view.
Problem with blobbers is that they are inherently jank, especially the realtime ones. I liked doing the puzzles in Grimrock but the combat-dance was retarded.

If a new "blobber" had first-person exploring with 3rd-person tactical turn-based combat I'd like that.

Well, like I said, they need to put more effort into them than none at all. In a time where traditional JRPG combat seems to be coming back more and more, and Darkest Dungeon seemed to have done really well, there's no reason a non-janky well produced blobber shouldn't do well too.

If someone made a well produced blobber, not even big budget, (after all, those Atlus games like Persona 5 and Shin Megami Tensei 5 are low budget) just a blobber that is aesthetically pleasing and didn't move all herky-jerky I'd guess it'd do pretty well.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Oh, guck off, niggers! Blobbers are fine as they are. It's like that thing sjws do. "make everyone gay nigger furry troons so people like me will feel inclooooooded. will i buy it then? of course no - i don't even play gaems!"

Nu-trash like Fallout 4 and the likes aside, when it comes to classics I'd say Wizardry. I dunno, I grew up on M&M and have always found it to be far more charming in every aspect overall. Played Wizardry much later in life though so maybe I've simply grown out of that specific category.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Nu-trash like Fallout 4 and the likes aside, when it comes to classics I'd say Wizardry. I dunno, I grew up on M&M and have always found it to be far more charming in every aspect overall. Played Wizardry much later in life though so maybe I've simply grown out of that specific category.
Fallout 4 is underrated (besides the weak main quest and start of the game)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know people hold it dear, but Fallout 2. Not Fallout 1, that is a great little game (emphasis on the little as it doesn't overstay its welcome for any annoyances to take root).

Now, it might be a small bias because i just almost finished a playthrough and the last section is just rough (and i don't just mean the stupid end boss fight), but throughout the entire game i had all sorts of annoyances with it (most of them due to the UI, but also stuff like followers going behind objects/walls/etc that i can't see them to check their health status and also some mechanics issues that i don't feel like starting any arguments about so i wont mention :-P). And while i last played it years ago, i also remember thinking at the time too that it was rougher than the first game.

The game is good, don't get me wrong, but i don't think it gets scrutinized as much as other games.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 4 is underrated (besides the weak main quest and start of the game)

Fallout 4 could’ve been a passable RPG-like walking sim, if Bethesda had dropped all the pretenses of ”not making just another TES game” and gone full on with it (perhaps as an insult to injury) by adding a TES style character progression in it.

As it was, it was terminally tedious and boring.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Diablo only barely qualifies in the ARPG subgenre? As in the subgenre it spawned? LMAO

Diablo series was excluded from the Codex Best RPGs of 2019 list, meanwhile action games like Deus Ex and Dark Souls were included.

Objectively speaking, Diablo is a lot like a traditional RPG, aside from the (imho unpleasant) real time combat. It has a lot in common with old roguelikes.

Yet the Codex ignores the Hack and Slash genre and seems to consider it "not RPG".

On the other hand, the Codex will count any console action game as an RPG if it has certain characteristics like story and atmosphere.

I blame storyfags.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Diablo only barely qualifies in the ARPG subgenre? As in the subgenre it spawned? LMAO

Diablo series was excluded from the Codex Best RPGs of 2019 list, meanwhile action games like Deus Ex and Dark Souls were included.

Objectively speaking, Diablo is a lot like a traditional RPG, aside from the (imho unpleasant) real time combat. It has a lot in common with old roguelikes.

Yet the Codex ignores the Hack and Slash genre and seems to consider it "not RPG".

On the other hand, the Codex will count any console action game as an RPG if it has certain characteristics like story and atmosphere.

I blame storyfags.

Seriously. Diablo is far more of an RPG than something like Dark Souls. The fact that you can attack and miss with your stats impacting how likely you are to hit or miss should be evidence enough of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom