Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Gastrick

Cipher
Dark Souls at least has:
  • Character creation
  • Point buy stats on levellup
  • Weapon and armor crafting from materials
  • 7 main stats and over a dozen side stats
  • Varied items
  • Varied weapon and armor types that act differently from eachother
  • 3 magic types and a shit load of spells

which is much more than the Zelda spinoff Gothic.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
TTRPGs were born when people began giving stories to figurines in miniature wargaming. CnC is built upon that mechanical foundation, it's not the foundation itself.

Sure but still you're implying that Disco is not even close to those elements, which is not true. I can accept that you don't like it but to push it into a different category while it does carry traditional RPG elements it's unfair. In other words, you don't have to treat it like Monkey Island with attribute checks. There are different angles to look at it as well. It is different (and fresh if you want my opinion) and that's it. I don't see the need to push it away, at all.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
Similarly, Diablo 2 gets too much cred while Diablo 1 gets too little.

The truth of the matter is that Diablo 1 is the true classic like the first heavy metal LP from a great band but Diablo 2 is the breakthrough record. I assume you're from a poor balkan country and you like Iron Maiden or Metallica, so think of it as: Diablo 1 is "Kill 'Em All" and Diablo 2 is "Master of Puppets".

pomenitul

Arbiter
Joke's on you, I like Ride the Lightning best. And while I am indeed a metal enthusiast, I don't rate either Iron Maiden or Metallica all that highly. If anything, I'd say Diablo 1 is to Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse (lo-fi, single-minded, self-accomplished and bursting with naïvely nervous energy from start to finish) as Diablo 2 is to Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (better recorded, self-aware and peppered with brilliantly innovative ideas but a bit too variegated for comfort tone-wise).

Ash

Arcane
I'm not sure how Fallout 2 can be overrated here given all I fucking hear here is people bitching about it. People bitch about Fallout 2 here like Fallout 2 is Fallout 3. Shit, just being able to move your party members out of the doorway of the room they've trapped you in, and being able to have them hold your stuff without needing to buy it back from them makes Fallout 2 a more enjoyable game to play than the first.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Diablo only barely qualifies in the ARPG subgenre? As in the subgenre it spawned? LMAO

Have you ever heard of Zelda?
It was released in 1986, more than a decade before Diablo, which is a hack and slash and for a reason, because that's all you do, if you ask me, diablo is more of a clicker precursor than anything else.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Diablo only barely qualifies in the ARPG subgenre? As in the subgenre it spawned? LMAO

Have you ever heard of Zelda?
It was released in 1986, more than a decade before Diablo, which is a hack and slash and for a reason, because that's all you do, if you ask me, diablo is more of a clicker precursor than anything else.
Zelda doesn't feature any sort of character creation or customization. It's essentially an updated Adventure.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And?
ARPG are not RPG, they're just action games with some RPG elements.

That's the origin of the genre, some ARPG are full fledge RPG but few of them really qualify.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected

Not on the Codex.

They both get too much credit and they barely qualify as RPG, in fact, they only barely qualify in the ARPG subgenre.

you are sheltered for not playing the garbage I had to play as a kid
No. ARPGs are only worth playing after Diablo. You are sheltered for thinking anyone gives a fuck about beforehand.

Disciple

Savant
The thing is that "ARPG" is not some monolithic RPG tradition like roguelikes or dungeon crawlers are for the most part. You can identify several distinct genealogies of video games which have been labelled "ARPG" at some point:

-Console ARPGs: both the top-down perspective ones (Ys, Crystalis, etc) and the side-scrolling ones (Zelda II, Faxanadu...).

-Diablo-likes: Nox, Titan Quest, Sacred, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn... Usually third person view PC games revolving around Diablo II's loot, going through the game again in each difficulty available, and the multiplayer experience.

-Ultima Underworld-likes: namely Deus Ex, SS2, the Elder Scroll Games to some extent, From Software games (more so their early stuff than their Soulsborne offerings) and Piranha Bytes games. This is arguably the most heterogeneous grouping of the three, and it has spawned its own subgenres too; e. g., "Souls-likes", the controversial "immersive sim". Bethesda games have been pretty much their own thing for a good while as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Not on the Codex.

They both get too much credit and they barely qualify as RPG, in fact, they only barely qualify in the ARPG subgenre.

Jesus you're sheltered. Diablo spawned ARPGs? Lol way off.

"ARPG" used to be a term that described Diablo clones. Around the early to mid 00s, when people said ARPG they meant Diablo clone.

So yes, Diablo spawned ARPGs, depending on how you define that term.

gaussgunner

Arcane

Not on the Codex.

"ARPG" used to be a term that described Diablo clones. Around the early to mid 00s, when people said ARPG they meant Diablo clone.

Yeah... apparently the label ARPG was actually used for games like Zelda "because you're playing a role" but they were relabeled as action-adventure after Diablo and the Internet came out and everyone got all autistic about it. Not that I'm complaining. D&D firmly established "role-playing" as character progression and specialization. ARPG is the same thing without the party and turnbased elements, not a Tolkienesque console/arcade hack'n'slasher.

dacencora

Not on the Codex.

ARPG, especially styled this way, I have only ever seen applied to Diablo-style games. Zelda would never qualify as an RPG to me. One of my favorite series of games, but it lacks critical role playing elements to be called an RPG.

Yes Ys and Mana came before Diablo, but those are more similar to Zelda than they are to Wizardry, so it’s a blurry line. So perhaps saying Diablo “spawned” ARPGs is the wrong term, and maybe “defined” is the better term.

El Presidente

Arcane
Diablo is responsible for spawning the worst subgenre I can think of, Diablo-clones. For the last many years I've seen retards very unfairly blaming Myst for the death of the adventure genre for all the Mystlings and FMVs it spawned (and for "creating the demand that every point and click shall have a huge budget" or some retarded explanation out of their asses). Well I can say for sure Diablo was responsible for spawning a FAR worse steaming mountain of shit. Diablo-likes are the nasty tumor attached to the RPG genre, what a pathetic disgraceful subgenre. Not even ONE single game in it has good mechanics, good itemization, good systems, good encounter design, a good story, nothing, it provides nothing other than braindead clicky clicky wipey screen. Class choice makes no difference, they're all just different flashy assets to wipe the screen. Equipment in these games are an absolute meaningless joke, come late game you kick a little pebble on the ground and from under it comes
- Celestialward Tiger Shield of the Vampiric Draconics
- Incorruptible Preserver Arcane Ring of Alacrity
- Mighty Stormbrand Longsword of the Bear's Wrath
- Prismatic Basilisk Leaf Horn of the Siren's Song
- 3 Mega Elixirs and 2 Mega Mana Potions

Every encounter is the same joke, every dungeon is exactly the same with a different coat of paint, there are only 3 types of bosses in these games and they all feel just the same:
- huge monster fixed on the ground, like a huge sandworm that stays in a corner or some demon-wall thing attached to a surface
- mobile boss that hits hard and spawns dozens of minions
- mobile boss that shoots a million shit and the fight is kinda like a bullet hell and he teleports around
And the endgame gameplay consists of one-shotting all three of them anyways. Even before endgame these bosses feel completely meaningless.

All of the games are awfully balanced and they add different difficulties that consist of multiplying the monsters' HP by 1.25/1.5/2/3/etc, and their damage as well.

Every single quest is bad including the main quest.

Minibosses are just a normal monster but with 1000x the HP.

I could go on and on for multiple pages of this thread. These shit games are the supreme popamole experience and have more in common with Cookie Clicker than with RPGs.

Codex Year of the Donut
"ARPG" is a terrible term, the correct term is diablo-clone.
Not a single one differentiates itself enough from Diablo to be worthy of being called its own subgenre. Additionally, "ARPG" is a terrible term because it explicitly excludes the massive majority of action RPGs.
I don't think there's a single subgenre that's worse than diablo-clones in any genre, tbh. If you've played diablo 2, you've played the entire subgenre.
The complete lack of growth is astounding, it has just spiraled unto itself focusing entirely on a handful of mechanics(namely, grinding and collecting loot.) It's essentially the video game genre equivalent of island mentality.

Diablo-clones are the inbred pugs of cRPGs.

Zeriel

Arcane
Not a single one differentiates itself enough from Diablo to be worthy of being called its own subgenre. Additionally, "ARPG" is a terrible term because it explicitly excludes the massive majority of action RPGs.
I don't think there's a single subgenre that's worse than diablo-clones in any genre, tbh. If you've played diablo 2, you've played the entire subgenre.
The complete lack of growth is astounding, it has just spiraled unto itself focusing entirely on a handful of mechanics(namely, grinding and collecting loot.) It's essentially the video game genre equivalent of island mentality.

Didn't ARPG use to be used for games like Gothic too, though? I feel like what might have happened there is action RPGs became more common and dominant than non action RPGs, so they just started to call Skyrim/Gothic like games RPGs, and then ARPG was used exclusively for Diablo clones.

Codex Year of the Donut

Didn't ARPG use to be used for games like Gothic too, though? I feel like what might have happened there is action RPGs became more common and dominant than non action RPGs, so they just started to call Skyrim/Gothic like games RPGs, and then ARPG was used exclusively for Diablo clones.
It was applied to a lot of things prior to Diablo's popularity, namely, any RPG that had action-oriented combat in order to differentiate it from more traditional cRPGs.

dacencora

action-combat, FPP,
It and about half of all games ever released.
and atmospheric level design?
Subjective interpretation.

"Immersive sim" is a non-genre, stop trying to make it happen.
I’m not trying to make it happen, but Deus Ex, System Shock, and UU all happen to be very similar games. If you like one of them, chances are pretty good you’ll like the other ones. I just think those were a poor example of “these games have nothing in common”.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom