Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
realtime roguelikes
It's oxymoron. :M

Anything can be a roguelike if you stretch it far enough, even FTL and shit. It's even more abused than """"RPG""". At least Diablo was directly inspired by the original roguelikes. There's a design document out there. It says they literally just wanted to make a game like Angband/Moria with graphics, realtime, and eliminating some autistic shit like permadeath (at least by default) to sell more copies to normies.
didn't diablo started as a turn-based game? And when the editor asked for real-time and they made the switch

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thread was quickly hijacked by retards that don't know what overrated means. Ton of overrated games on the Codex, and few of the posts that called them out on this thread were actually acknowledge or argued against outside of the usual barrage of negative ratings.

Metatron

Augur
Arcanum obviously. Basically the most broken combat engine of all time, combined with but ugly art direction and a serviceable but not particularly memorable plot. But... but... what about the worldbuilding? Sure, it's nice up until Tarant but like everything Troika it's hopelessly unfinished and after that the game falls of a cliff, which means you still have to plow your way through a great number of uninspired locations. That's right, the game isn't even good at the thing it's supposed to excel at for more than half of the game but codexers like to rate on (unfulfilled) potential instead of the actual game. But yeah, great newspaper gimmick 10/10 on the codex and nowhere else.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
If we consider both good and bad games, the most overrated game on the RPGCodex is Planescape: Torment. Completely linear, with horrible encounters, zero replayability, pretentious and edgy writing (which is still better than in ~99% of games), and a very weak last part (Curst especially). It's still one of my favorite games, but the older I get, the harder it is to deny it's overrated.

If we're only looking at bad games, then the most overrated game on the RPGCodex is Morrowind. I'm not going to say that it's outright a no-go game. But in my opinion, unlike PS:T, it's a really weak game that looks particularly bad as a sequel to Daggerfall. Everything has been simplified: factions, reputation, magic, skills, loot, banks, mounts, ships, and so on. "Hand-created" dungeons look even more samey than those randomly generated from the previous installment. I understand that the game is loved for the weird atmosphere and lore (also music). But, in my opinion, it doesn't pull the game out of the swamp of mediocrity.

Ryan muller

Educated
Arcanum obviously. Basically the most broken combat engine of all time, combined with but ugly art direction and a serviceable but not particularly memorable plot. But... but... what about the worldbuilding? Sure, it's nice up until Tarant but like everything Troika it's hopelessly unfinished and after that the game falls of a cliff, which means you still have to plow your way through a great number of uninspired locations. That's right, the game isn't even good at the thing it's supposed to excel at for more than half of the game but codexers like to rate on (unfulfilled) potential instead of the actual game. But yeah, great newspaper gimmick 10/10 on the codex and nowhere else.

Plus the fact the game have such bad balancement and enemy placements that at time a player reach the black mountain mines they usually will be around level 8-12 and then theres level 25 golems all over the place.

At that point the game becomes cookie cutter and you have to do almost every avaliable side quest in a game that already have a very linear progression for the storyline (which wasnt a thing in Fallout 1 and 2)

It just ends up being super annoying, making replays a hell.

Of course, you can always sacrifice all of your party members trying to do it underleveled, but if that doesnt speak "lack of playtesting" i dont know what does

jackofshadows

Magister
Plus the fact the game have such bad balancement and enemy placements that at time a player reach the black mountain mines they usually will be around level 8-12 and then theres level 25 golems all over the place.

At that point the game becomes cookie cutter and you have to do almost every avaliable side quest in a game that already have a very linear progression for the storyline (which wasnt a thing in Fallout 1 and 2)

Of course, you can always sacrifice all of your party members trying to do it underleveled, but if that doesnt speak "lack of playtesting" i dont know what does
The most pathetic game-related post I've read in the past month. Did you at least not forgot to set easy difficulty, you story-mode loving faggot?

curds

Magister

I wish more RPGs did what Arcanum did with BMC. In many games doing a lot of the side quests make you overleveled for the main quest.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Git gud

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Just punch them

Ryan muller

Educated

The most pathetic game-related post I've read in the past month. Did you at least not forgot to set easy difficulty, you story-mode loving faggot?

Arcanum is not hard, just a boring chore.

If i wanted an actual challenge i would play an actual good game, like Wizardry 7.

Not this linear, grindy, broken grinding BS that people pretend to be any good

Ryan muller

Educated

I wish more RPGs did what Arcanum did with BMC. In many games doing a lot of the side quests make you overleveled for the main quest.

Unless you are a completionist i dont see a reason why you would do as much side content without progressing in the main story

Which is exactly my problem with the game, as a huge portion of the playtrought basically is a huge grinding.

It really feels like an artificial road block developers used to force you to see what they designed for the game side content wise.

Like they directly said "Hey, we just spent hours designing a lot of this stuff so stop and see all of them right here"

While fallout was more like "go anywhere, tackle down your quest as you wish and never feel forced to do anything"

Thats why i always will think the classic goal based structure will always be the best for a game like that

And its not like fallout 2's endgame is exactly easy lol.

jackofshadows

Magister
Arcanum is not hard, just a boring chore.

If i wanted an actual challenge i would play an actual good game, like Wizardry 7.

Not this linear, grindy, broken grinding BS that people pretend to be any good
Calling any game grindy while providing as an example Wiz 7 lmao. And there're so many ways to deal with those few BMC elementals other than to grind elsewhere and to go back. It's a game about roleplay possibilities, just like classic Fallouts. You didn't like the game - that's fine, not everyone got taste but that doesn't define the game in question. Arcanum is also anything but linear game.

Ryan muller

Educated
Unless you are a completionist i dont see a reason why you would do as much side content without progressing in the main story

Let's see: maybe because the side content is actually very good?

You know, some of us like to actually play games, not beeline for the ending to get done with it.

If exhausting every single quest in early game locations before progressing the storyline is what you call "playing the game" sure.

I just dont see why my incredibly loyal gnome that had promised to help bates as fast as he could, would stop his quest to kill rats.

Not only its completely out of character from a roleplay standpoint, but also will make those early game locations completely empty later on.

Its not a proportional progression.

Not to say that there are some quests that werent even good or interesting.

Like killing a random machine that went crazy in its owner's house in ashbury.

Thats just mediocre

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom