Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the worst game you played from the past 10 years?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Dragon Age: Origins is probably the only game that has made me feel genuinely dirty about playing it. The shittiness just kept slowly creeping in until, at some point, you realized that you had been violated and there was no way to undo that.

To be fair, that happens even faster with Fallout 3. At least DA:O characters spoke what somewhat resembled English, and it had decent graphics.

Neki

Scholar
Thiaf or Ride to Hell:Retribution

The second one actually made me wanna puke on the floor with the most awful sex scenes in videogame history.

pippin

I never played Ride to Hell but everything presents itself in a Z-list package where I do have to wonder if it was made in purpose. I pity Rival Sons though, they are a cool band and it kinda pains me to hear their song in the main menu.

Thi4f is unredeemable since is objectively shit, even from a technical perspective. Seems like they gave the project to a bunch of 15yos.

Also, the thing that bothered me the most about DAO was the pacing. Just when you think the game is going to show you somethig cool (and the trial against Loghain *is* cool, nice c&c here and there), the game is over.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That game was ridiculous.

Gotta be Dragon Age: Origins. Not because it's bad - it's merely mediocre and boring. It's just that everything else that I've played was better at least in some way.
Dragon Age 2 - it was the last game from Bioware I ever bought, and I never looked back since.
I think that game was a nail in Bioware's coffin for a lot of people. I had some fun with Origins but felt like it was shallow and lacking compared to what came before it. But it had a slick new engine so I figured they might have spent a lot of the budget on that, and maybe with a sequel they would use the same engine but make an epic game. They did the exact opposite... They spent yet more money again on teh grafixz and about $2 on gameplay. The same few areas repeated over and over... no inventory or character building on party members... fewer options in combat... Made me wonder why they even made Dragon Age to begin with if they were so desperate to dumb it down into a single character action RPG.

Not that I expected anything anyway, EA are gaming cancer after all.

Fallout 4 is undoubtedly the worst game I've played in recent memory. The reason I hate it so much is everything in it is so much worse than anything Bethesda have done before. Oblivion was Bethesda's previous nadir in terms of writing and dumbed down systems, and Fallout 4 manages to surpass even that. What makes it criminal is that Obsidian showed them how it could be done in New Vegas, and they ignored everything about it.
Bethesda seem to live in their own world where they can release dumb boring games and millions and millions of people go ape shit for them. It is a strange and confusing world.

The thing that pisses me off the most about Elder Scrolls games is that I have no problem with action games... they can be fun. I completed Blackguards, BG2, Icewind 1+2, etc..etc.. but I like to play action games too, just as long as they are good. The thing with Elder Scrolls is that the action is fucking boring and mindless, the timings are all too loose and there are no 'moves', it is all just hack hack hack and maybe block sometimes, although even that didn't seem necessary most of the time. The magic combat is crap too. Every system in the game feels like it had zero thought or development.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, that happens even faster with Fallout 3. At least DA:O characters spoke what somewhat resembled English, and it had decent graphics.
FO3 might be the worse game, especially since it has "Fallout" in the title, but I never actually played it nor had any kind of expectations for it whatsoever. You could tell right away that it was going to be terrible.

I wasn't hugely excited about DA:O either, but I heard some positive things about it and went into it with a "this might be enjoyable in a KoTOR-with-swords kind of way" mindset. Before long, I found myself buying a pair of leather gloves for my fetishist gay elf companion to make him like me more. Gaidered.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Final Fantasy XIII. It's a bunch of a concept art thrown together at the last minute with no rhyme or reason (for real), the dialog is nonsensical rubbish written by autistic Japanese guys. You play the game by holding up for several seconds and then pressing circle, then repeating for 20 hours until you get to the "good part" which is just MMORPG quests in a giant field (or so I'm told, I could only last 13 hours).

This.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
All Elder Scrolls games after Morrowind. Before that they're playable for few hours before I forget about them, something that can't be said about their later shitfest. Trauma is resistant to forget...
Duke Nukem Forever haunted my steam library for long. Though that few hours won't hurt to scratch that from backlog.
It hurt. Badly. Stopped using "backlog" system after that. At least BBQ made when credits rolled (they were long, no wonder for such vapourware) was nice.
Beyond Divinity - voiceacting was bad so why they introduced it in the Div: OS EE? I liked DK voice though. It's boring RPG and boring h'n's where magic is useless story decent and main boss stole portrait from random DivDiv NPC and there is bazilion resistances (Bone, Spirit, Shadow etc) to take care, why?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The one I'm playing now: Skyrim and the one I played a few years back FO3. Thought there might be some improvement since then...

Arcania as well, though like another contender Dragon Age 2, these were at least relatively short.

Thing is these games aren't as 'bad' as much of the indie bundle trash filler that takes up half of steam, but considering the cost and the sheer by the numbers cynicism of their committee design they win out as pure examples of what's wrong with RPG's, the lack of understanding how to make mechanics and content that make a game compelling.

dragon age 3
fallout 3-4
no man's sky
civilization 6
anno 2205
dead or alive 5
beyond earth
bioshock infinite

i'm digging through my blog and huge piles of shit keep resurfacing. please don't make me dig further, i'm scared of what i could find that i finally managed to forget.

edit: holy fuck simcity =_=

Gerrard

Arcane
Fallout 4

Was going to say Borderlands 2, but I actually managed to finish that one.

i was a young boy that had big plans / now i'm just another shitty old man / i don't have fun and i hate everything / the world owes me so fuck you.

if karma and reincarnation were to be real, in my previous life i must have been both hitler and stalin at the same time.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Usually the shit flushes out of my mind and I can't recall bad games all that well unless reminded, but Fallout 3 did leave a burnmark back in 2008. The level of disappointment was... quite uniquely huge.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Dragon Age Inquisition. I can usually tolerate something shit for at least a few hours, to see if there's something redeeming, but I couldn't bring myself to give a shit about any of the characters, or anything that was going on. I didn't even buy it and I felt robbed

Norfleet

The current game is always the worst game you've ever played. Simple logic reveals it to be so: Given a list of choices, in this game, games, you choose the best option. Each successive choice, therefore, requires that you choose a previously unchosen option, being thus worse than all previous choices. We thus prove through induction that the current game you're playing is always the worst game you've ever played.

As for what game it is for me, it's shit and I'm not being paid to recommend it, so I won't.

Beowulf

Arcane
Only if all the games were available at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom