Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Diablo II version?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
octavius Gregz

In no particular order,

1.09 - before synergies, before OP runewords that made 90% of all unique items obsolete. You weren't confined to 1 specific skill tree due to synergies, you could make a hybrid and it would work in hell mode. 99% of mobs weren't immune to some form of damage type. End game was more about magic finding your gear rather than building rune words which killed viability of items such as gf and wf.
1.07 - right before lod dropped. Uniques had no level reqs, IM+BG was a killer combo for necros. Dueling was fun. Global immunities weren't a thing. You could play more varied and weird builds. No mana pots. Classic was just more of a challenge. Bugged uniques. The famous etheral bug.
1.08 - expansion release. Had strength stacking. You couldn't see monster passives. It was at the peak of D2’s popularity possibly.
1.10 - after synergies. Game was more difficult and complex. Grief, Enigma and Spirit and other OP runewords. Addition of free respecs. Addition of Uber Diablo, Annihilus and other unique charms. The best version for modding.

Older versions (Classic D2):

1.00-1.02
Infinite Cow King killing(nerfed in 1.02)
Revive skill at level 20(only 5 mana cost) nerfed in 1.02
Revive skill gives more hp to revive another 200% at level 20 nerfed in 1.03
Whirlwind the strongest version, it attacks up to 32 times nerfed in 1.03
Corpse explosion OP version huge radius and its damage scales up with number of players (at maxed level you kinda blow up the whole maggot lair xDDD) nerfed in 1.03
Conversion even with few points 80% chance nerfed in 1.03
Infinite bug list would take hours to write all
Lord De Seis thief ability steals items nerfed in 1.02
No xp peneltaty above level 75, nerfed in 1.03, very very slow xp gain implented

Whirlwind max 8 attacks till nerf 1.07
The invencible Blood Golem+IM combo with two bug - ( your blood golem steals the total life of enemy it attacks) nerf 1.04
Revived monster damage and life scales with number of players nerfed in 1.04
Golems life attack and damage scales with number of players nerfed in 1.04
Your spells have lot more radius range than intended nerfed in 1.04
Strafe bugged offscreen range and enhances total bow damage(range nerfed 1.04, damage in 1.05)
First "stable" version
In close combat even magic attacks or elemental attack mobs get thorns or Iron Maiden return nerfed in 1.04
Lord De Seis thief ability steals potions nerfed in 1.04,was removed

Most famous bug:
Bows unaffected by any %extra damage mod, fixed in 1.04
Defense bugged monsters have X4 attack rating
Lances cannot drop

OP Guided arrow,enhances total bow damage nerfed in 1.05
Hammerdin nerfed Concentration doesnt affect Blessed Hammer due to mass complaints Blizzard later give back the bug in 1.05
Life tap and Iron golems Thorns work together nerfed in 1.05
Valkyrie scales up with players in health and damage nerfed in 1.05

Most famous bug:
Spells and auras bugged halved range fixed in 1.05
Any item with extra durability loses the extra% durability each time you die or start new game
Gems give random value if you socket them

1.05-1.06
Most of bugs fixed most stable version of classic
Sorceress spells have no cooldown nerfed in 1.07 due the lag they caused
Multishot nerfed in 1.07 to cause less damage
Whirlwhind nerfed in 1.07, the last patch where WW barb king is this
Gambling in order, and great chances. 3%unique chance, 1.07 removed gambling while latter reintroduced with horrible odds.

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
If I remember right monsters in hell already had at least 1 immunity in 1.08. I remember that that sorceress players were adviced to at least invest in two different element types to beat it.

But I also think immunities were not as wide spread in 1.00. Might have been introduced in between

Edit: For example remember the Frozen Orb + Nova build that was really popular?

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
I first beat D2 with LoD installed and replayed it many times with LoD. But I went back to it without it and preferred it without LoD. I think the fifth act is a bit drawn out. Although still better than Act 3.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What I remember most of the Classic pre LoD version was that those undead Vultures hit very hard, the Maggot lair was insane when you reached the queen, Oblivion Knights were deadly for a WW Barbarian, and that finding yellow items was always exciting.

I'm ambivalent about the synergies. It ruins some skill trees (Poison Dagger and Poison Nova are in practice the same builds now), but overall it's not a big negative deal for me.

I would like to play Classic again, but neither PlugY nor the shared stash in Resurrected supports it.

If i had too choose, I guess it would be 1.09. I guess that was before the most retarded Runewords were introduced.

damager

Arbiter
Yeah 1.09 is a pretty good one. But on the other hand non of the patches were total trash and brought new stuff to the table, breathed another few years of life in the game.

I think people can be pretty glad about what all the teams did, including the D2R patches.

Instead of synergies I always thought a scaling of the skills with playerlevel would have been a better balance change. It would have offered variety, while giving longtime functionality to lower level spells. Synergies locked out to many build varieties. But for what it is, it was well done I will admit.

damager

Arbiter
Btw there's a new patch on the way and the rumor is that they might rebalance the old uniques to make them able to compete more with the high end runewords.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
The only thing that mattered to me: Before LOD gambling was way better.
After LOD gambling sucked ass.
I never made a runesword because I'm not autistic, I just played the game with my brother and sister and kids from school. It's a pretty easy game until you get to hell difficulty. Which isn't particularly fun but I think we beat it a few times.

A big problem of mine, in diablo 1 all the characters were pretty normal looking. They even had the sorcerer to represent other ethnic peoples which is nice and inclusive.

I'm not sure anyone else experienced this, but in diablo 2. The Barbarian and druid are too ugly for me to ever use. The assassin is also ugly, probably the ugliest. Then I didn't use the paladin much, or the sorc because... Then the Amazon is whatever but I thought she kind of sucked?
So I was stuck using the Necromancer who kind of looks like Victor Pflug . Good thing the necro is pretty op.

damager

Arbiter
Amazon is like the biggest masskiller in all patches and also a hottie

Gotta go Javazon (lightning fury)

damager

Arbiter
Paladin is a strong character and a good looking nigga too like the Diablo 1 mage :lol:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Don't have one because i jump between various versions using the cactus(i think it is called that) launcher for mods that i wanna play. But if i had to choose, 1.07.

Dark Souls II

Educated
Shitposter
The shareware version, dumb ass computer class teacher said I can't install it on one of the PCs so I did, incredible stuff since the only games we had on the school PCs at the time were Wolf3d and Duke Nukem 3D. Then I installed it on my dad's PC at home and replayed the beginning of Act I as a barb over and over again because my personal trusted 60MHz Pentium could only run Diablo I. Good times, I am completely unbiased when I say the shareware version was the best and it only went downhill from there.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Don't have one because i jump between various versions using the cactus(i think it is called that) launcher for mods that i wanna play. But if i had to choose, 1.07.

Is that still supported? I seem to remember Cactus and Succulent

damager

Arbiter
Ah. Yeah true. Sucks that they retconned him. I mean that's really the only thing I despise about D2R. The Bikini they put on Andariel and the uglification and diversification of characters.

Else it's a very good remake.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Before D2R I didn't know what an "underboob" was, and how vital the Sorceress' underboob (which I had never noticed myself) was for some players' enjoyment of the game.

But I agree that the new Amazon and Paladin portraits are offensively ugly, and the Barbarian now looks like a retired football hooligan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom