Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Diablo II version?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Fun bugs from 1.09:
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/qpmolq/109_nostalgia/

Hell, didn't know about this

One thing I loved in 1.09 (might have been 1.08 actually) was if you equiped a rogue Merc with + all skills there was a bug that would change their fire arrow ability to something else. With good items you could give her enough +skills to have her cast lightning and it did a ton of damage. With hacked items you could give her enough +skills that she'd cast diablo's lightning inferno. Such a fun bug, I wish they kept it on but balanced it or something to make A1 mercs more useful.

Synergies were a net benefit for everyone but the sorceress. They also made the game prior to level 24 far more tolerable for casters. I think the biggest problem with v1.10 was how it turned everything up to 11. Characters needed to be hyper-optimized and gear selective. The creep of immunities on mobs was also tedious. Everyone remembers encountering zombies that were immune to both physical and magic damage. Version 1.9 was probably peak. Sometime after LoD but before v1.10.

Fun bugs from 1.09:
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/qpmolq/109_nostalgia/

Hell, didn't know about this

One thing I loved in 1.09 (might have been 1.08 actually) was if you equiped a rogue Merc with + all skills there was a bug that would change their fire arrow ability to something else. With good items you could give her enough +skills to have her cast lightning and it did a ton of damage. With hacked items you could give her enough +skills that she'd cast diablo's lightning inferno. Such a fun bug, I wish they kept it on but balanced it or something to make A1 mercs more useful.
I remember this. I saw some videos at the time and it was hilarious. Not possible without cheating, but a sight to to see for sure.

Gargaune

Arcane
I really couldn't say which was the best version, out of my wheelhouse, but I do feel like the addition of Runes was a bit dubious. Yeah, they were cool and all, but they really fucked with inventory space for the casual player.

Jewels were also added later, weren't they? Nice idea with the universal effects, but replaying the game now I've yet to see one I'd really want to socket.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
too lazy to write everything some notes:

• more balanced classes&builds, most of skills are viable and new skills too
  • melee spash so ranged classes are not superior anymore with their silly aoe spells
  • most rws, uniques, sets changed don't have retardedly op shit like enigma in lod. new rws/uniques added
  • mercs rebalanced, all are viable different ways (also added act 4 merc few seasons ago)
  • charm inventory, rune/gem stacking
  • end game is not just fucking cs/baal runs, there are new bosses & mapping system
  • revamped crafting made less tedious and better recipes good for early/end game

overall its pretty close to lod feeling wise, median xl and shit are practically different games
path of diablo was good too before pd2 but now it can't compete anymore way more unpolished

you can check some videos if u want, frankiefresh makes cool/fun videos I know that guy

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
path of diablo was good too before pd2 but now it can't compete anymore way more unpolished

I played on EuropeBattle, it was was full of bots and dupes. Pretty much the same shit as BattleNet.

I played on Path of Diablo too. Didn't like how in order to maintain balance GreenDude was removing stuff (such as the Holy Freeze aura from mercs) and killing the fun. Kind of like Soyer.

Never played SlashDiablo but it's probably dead by now.

I'll concede that Project Diablo probably looks to be in its prime right now. Their documentation is excellent.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
OK, not MP, but you still need to connect to a server to play?

Apparently not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectDia...ng_single_player_without_internet_connection/
https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectDiablo2/comments/yg15k1/can_i_play_this_offline/
https://github.com/BetweenWalls/PD2-Singleplayer

I'm pretty sure this is the only private server which allows this.

EDIT: Yeah, you can play offline + single player.

Singleplayer is supported - Players often install PlugY alongside PD2 to fix Ubers and gain access to a shared stash.

Beans00

Erudite
Possibly Retarded
Fun character builds which worked in 1.09b but were rendered useless with synergies in 1.10:
https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/oo7ybt/which_fun_character_builds_worked_in_109_but_were/

God I forgot what decline 1.10 was

I had like 400-500 hours on diablo 2(basically zero in single player) probably from ~2000 until ~2008-9 probably. I didn't know about any of this.

Reason why? The only character I played was summoner necromancer with bone spear and poison nova.
I think I did a paladin once where I had that hammer ability and thorns, I can't remember.

:)

Edit- I should add I tried a druid once but it seemed awful. Is it really awful or was I coping?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Gregz octavius Gargaune ArchAngel Sykar Jermu

Some fun items you might remember from 1.08 and 1.09

VRnYk5bwW3do.png

noJKeWv6uJI1.png

q2mn4xUXi1Ie.png

IVKPCnoSNFGX.png

vxwDiR8TTKoG.png

2BKA6MU.jpeg

hsRPYsG.jpeg

F2vvC.jpeg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That's some insane items. What's the ring in the first picture?
I never saw a Stone of Jordan, and I never had a character higher than lvl 54 (or whatever level you were when completing Hell SP "Players 1".

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I used to fuck around with those diablo editors. I made a shitty crossbow but if uh could 1-shot andariel and duriel and 2-3 shot the rest. The armor I made somehow restored hp like a battery when hit with electricity. I recall being down to 1hp vs hell diablo and he used his lightning breathe.... my life bar went right up to max like a meter.... ZOOOOPPPP UP!

Yeah, don't make op shit it ruins the game. Same with mob increasers. You know those zombie movies? Yeah, outside was butt to nutt zombies and inside was full of chickens. Froze my old computer a few times. You could also hack your dude to level 0. It took forever for him to hit something for some buggy reason.

And I finally enjoyed the assassin and just using traps. Talk about ridiculous. Note: assassin traps worked fucking awesome in the zombie quill rat apocalypse. I'd upload the thing if I could ever find it. Basically, i fixed the diablopaq or w/e it was called and amped up the mobs and arranged adding something like quill bears and shit to x16 multiplay. Save the paq. Then I uploaded a copy of that edited file and multiplied again by x16. I think 2-3 is max. Yeah.. apocalypse. I may have increased individual mob numbers as well. SOOOOOOOOO many fucking mobs.

Best, i dunno. First release without LOD maybe a few patches in. Lod was ok for the story and the Baal laughter and end scene and.... fucking rats. Ugh! So many rats that i hope burned to death in that sanitarium.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I never did play any of the later mods and there were some fucking doozies. I wonder if a complete list is still around and archive of D1-2 +HF & LOD mods?

I recall the buggy one where you could play as a Megadaemon, succubus, a shaman, and something else. Weird. There were a few where the caves were changed into connecting mega dungeons and the dimensions of each were HUGE! That was a pure dungeon crawl. I tried a few d1 mobs as well.

Yeah, DOOM, D1-2, Duke Nukem, and elder scrolls could eat a fuck ton out of your life alone.

damager

Arbiter
That's some insane items. What's the ring in the first picture?
I never saw a Stone of Jordan, and I never had a character higher than lvl 54 (or whatever level you were when completing Hell SP "Players 1".
A lot of these are hacked items bro

damager

Arbiter
Adding "melee splash" to Diablo is serious decline though and would keep me from playing this modded server. Getting class balance through making everyone a Fireball Sorc is not the right way IMO

Paladins and Barbarians are still have their place and are played a lot in D2R without such stuff. Barbarians are awsome Magicfinders through corpse fleddering and Melee Palas are one of the best classes for running UBRS. Not to mention throw Barbs that got incredible new builds lately and Caster Paladins that would dominate everything anyway for years in LoD already and got new builds in D2R as well with FoH.

The other stuff sounds nice I have to admit. Especially the new endgame contend.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I recall being an ice sorcerer a lot... until I got my ass handed to me by immune fuckers.

damager

Arbiter
This might be a little bit off topic. But you know what always bothered me with the Assassin? She really is mostly just a bunch of reused Sorc skills. Designing a Assassin by slapping a bunch of high level Mage skills on some melee attacks and calling it a day is so terribly cheap. I wonder what happend there. Seems not worthy of Blizzard from the time of LoD.

The Druid that came out the same expansion pack has all new animations and spells and seems to resemble one of the other base classes so much better. The Assassin in comparison looks like it came out of some cheap modpack.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, it's a different way of applying some of the sorc spells, either up close or via traps.
But the main problem with the Assassin is that the traps are bugged. They actually count as "unique monsters", so if you lay half a dozen traps, no unique monsters will appear on that map. That explained why my trapsin never seemed to find as much good loot as my other characters...
But it was fixed in a recent D2R patch, though.

Lots of bugs in D2 over they years, but I still have not experienced a single crash or freeze despite playing probably 1000+ hours. That's quite impressive.

damager

Arbiter
Yeah I totally forgot about the traps. That's even more spell recycling. Just lame.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Lots of bugs in D2 over they years, but I still have not experienced a single crash or freeze despite playing probably 1000+ hours. That's quite impressive.

Back in the day Blizzard was known for polish and "it's done when it's done" approach

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom