Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your favorite Diablo II version?

jackofshadows

Magister
Speaking of, if I want to play some Diablo 2, preferable 09v before runes were introduced, and with shared stash, what should I do?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That's some insane items. What's the ring in the first picture?
I never saw a Stone of Jordan, and I never had a character higher than lvl 54 (or whatever level you were when completing Hell SP "Players 1".
A lot of these are hacked items bro

Not exactly hacked items. They are bugged drops from certain previous versions (not possible anymore).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Speaking of, if I want to play some Diablo 2, preferable 09v before runes were introduced, and with shared stash, what should I do?

You have loads of options,

- Just install 1.09 in single player + PlugY
- Install D2R with the Mod Manager (has version switching)
- Install 1.09 with ATMA
- Install 1.09 via Cactus/Succulent (has version switching)

Many people play these "time travel" runs where they start in 1.07 (because of fun items) and finish in 1.10 or so (guide)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Adding "melee splash" to Diablo is serious decline though and would keep me from playing this modded server.

I am conflicted about this Project Diablo feature too. All melee weapons have 360-degree splash by default.

damager

Arbiter
Oh that's even worse than I thought. I thought it is a mod weapons can have.

damager

Arbiter
What I always found faszinating is stories from people about Diablo2 Classic (pre LoD) Chaos Sanctum Hell runs. I was told you would need a tank like Paladin or Barbarian and a damage dealer like a Sorceres to even have a chance to clear it. Extra points for having a Necro that could curse lower resistance.

And I can imagine that being true, LoD's items brought a massive powerspike that made Soloruns like we know them today possible. That's at least my theory I conclude from what I heard about pre-LoD Hell gameplay. In general pre-LoD Battle.net seems like such a mystical dark place. There were no Uniques besides the normal tier item version ones. No runes or runewords at all. Really low fantasy dark ages compared to modern LoD.

I think I would have really prefered a Diablo 2 endgame that goes further in this direction. Especially now with the healing effect of holy bolt I think it would be awsome if there was content that was so difficult you need the holy trinity to clear it or even a 5+ people party.

jackofshadows

Magister

You have loads of options,

- Just install 1.09 in single player + PlugY
- Install D2R with the Mod Manager (has version switching)
- Install 1.09 with ATMA
- Install 1.09 via Cactus/Succulent (has version switching)

Many people play these "time travel" runs where they start in 1.07 (because of fun items) and finish in 1.10 or so (guide)
Thanks. Is there Win 10 compatibility problems though with earlier versions?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In general pre-LoD Battle.net seems like such a mystical dark place. There were no Uniques besides the normal tier item version ones. No runes or runewords at all. Really low fantasy dark ages compared to modern LoD.

You can play D2 Classic on Hardcore. It's a ton of fun. Very, very similar to Diablo 1. Yeah, Chaos Sanctuary in Classic felt literally like going to HELL to meet Satan.

damager

Arbiter
In general pre-LoD Battle.net seems like such a mystical dark place. There were no Uniques besides the normal tier item version ones. No runes or runewords at all. Really low fantasy dark ages compared to modern LoD.

You can play D2 Classic on Hardcore. It's a ton of fun. Very, very similar to Diablo 1. Yeah, Chaos Sanctuary in Classic felt literally like going to HELL to meet Satan.
Yeah sadly they patched stuff like synergies into it, which seemes stupid on classic

damager

Arbiter
Well you could call it that. When they introduced skill synergies with LoD 1.10 they also patched them into classic 1.10, were they don't fit the theme at all imo. So at least for online play there's no classic version without synergies.

Spike

Educated
I have been enjoying Diablo 2 Resurrected: ReModded but yes the best version of the game is probably 1.09b. Man, takes me back :brodex:

Spike

Educated
What’s remodded?
Here: https://www.d2rmodding.com/remodded
I have been playing barb and really enjoying how buffed he is. He is good now, though you may dislike that Bash does splash damage. I still think it is worth checking out because it changes each skill for each character pretty significantly, at least judging by the barb. There are also two post-game (only in Hell mode) 100-floor (each) areas in Act 5. I have yet to get to them, because I am still struggling with Act 5 on Hell difficulty. It is worth a look. It is only for Diablo 2:R. After this I will play Project Diablo 2.

damager

Arbiter
Cool. Im seeing what the new d2r patch has in stall and might make a comeback. I’m one for online play in Diablo

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
All versions post 1.13c as it removed iron maiden from Oblivion Knights which made it possible to do chaos sancutarium runs with melee characters. Combine this with PlugY for the ladder rune words and a shared stash and d2dx for proper scaling and you have a very fine experience.

damager

Arbiter
Well the scenario I talked about with being able to clear Chaos Sanctum only with Tank and Damage Dealer hardly works solo :lol:

And to answer your question: me. I enjoy battle.net for trading, coop leveling and socializing during farming.

Last edited:

Just Locus

Educated
I still play the release version of Diablo II, I have run into a few bugs but nothing game-breaking, It's just super fun, and the game's chock full of content even without LOD (my first ever playthrough was without the expansion anyways)

Just Locus

Educated
This is a tangent but one of my guilty pleasures is just playing old or release versions of games and just studying the differences between then and now.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
And to answer your question: me. I enjoy battle.net for trading, coop leveling and socializing during farming.

Good grief, my man. I tried but 90% of players are bots. Also Blizzard still wipes characters after 90 days of no access :lol: in fucking 2024

Spike

Educated

Good grief, my man. I tried but 90% of players are bots. Also Blizzard still wipes characters after 90 days of no access :lol: in fucking 2024
Maybe they don't know how to un-do that...Or it really is effective in keeping servers clean and unencumbered.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Did they solve bots with D2R?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom