Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your ideal party size in a blobber?

?

• 6+2

• 4+2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
1. Fuck blobbers.

Also this question has nothing to do with blobbers, since unless you give an answer like mine, ideal blobber party size = ideal party size, blobber or not. It's just about class-based roles and having a variety of complementary ones.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I like six. It gives room enough for a couple of support type characters. Those are the ones that I really find the most fascinating.

somerandomdude

Learned
It depends on how the exp is divided, if it's one amount that's split between all members, then that might make it more efficient to run with a smaller party. I know in the case of Grimoire, I actually found it easier to run a party of 4 over a party of 8, because 4 members get twice the exp gains, and they're also better equipped.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
Six, but taking on account the size of the units, like Disciples did. One of the best systems i've seen. Simple and it works.

ss_bd23527d7b6f4e2f2118b44df7422a7c7f9e49d2.1920x1080.jpg

Disciple

Savant
Ideally six characters divided in two rows.

Fighter1 – Fighter2 – Thief/Rogue/Whatever
Cleric/healer – Wizard1 – Wizard2

somerandomdude

Learned
6 is the sweet spot IMO. I think 8 is too many, and 4 is too few.

8 works very well in M&M2 and Wizardry 8. I like the class variety, extra inventory space, room for hirelings, etc.
8 works well in certain games, I agree. But if exp is split evenly (it usually is), and equipment is expensive and hard to come by, then a case could be made for a smaller group of better equipped members at higher levels.

In Grimoire for example, there isn't really a compelling reason to run 8 members that I could find. 4 members getting double the exp gains in a game where you can multi-class several times is huge, and it makes those characters a lot stronger.

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land had a 6 member limit, and you really needed to use all 6 in that game to take advantage of the allied actions. One of the main purposes for the allied actions was to give the player tools to protect their most vulnerable characters. This is an example for an obvious mechanical advantage being given for a full party.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
grimoire-ui.jpg

4 should be considered the bare minimum for any RPG, blobber or otherwise. 6 is much better. 8 is best.

Covenant

Savant
Eight, but with one or two slots reserved for NPCs/hirelings etc.

Basically, Wizardry VIII nailed it.

Latro

Arcane
8 allows you to really come up with fun party combos. 4 is basic and eh. 6 is better but you only really have a single slot to mess around with odd classes, etc.

Dadd

Learned
grimoire-ui.jpg

4 should be considered the bare minimum for any RPG, blobber or otherwise. 6 is much better. 8 is best.
8 felt like there were too many redundant roles even though I tried to make a diverse party. If the classes were capable of more specialization in Grimoire, 8 would've been good. Some classes like the pirate didn't have enough distinguishing properties.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
8 is too many, for my taste, 3 is too few. 4 or 6 for me.

Very hard to decide between these two because it depends on how meaningfully different the classes are. In a game with fewer classes, 4 is better.

I'm going to vote 6 because it's traditional.

Note: whether 4 or 6, I'm fine with this going to 6 or 8 if you get NPCs to recruit later on.

Incognito/STK

Educated
Four. If I wanted to manage six or more units, I’d play an RTS.

Also, a party of eight doesn’t feel like an adventure, feels like a tourist excursion.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
For someone who pukes when he sees "Blobbers" you sure like to talk a lot about them rusty, you're an A grade masochist.
Anyway, my ideal party consist of 6:

Brawler - Brawler - Kleptomaniac
Magicman -Musicman - Holyman

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The ideal blobber party is:
Priest/Mage/Fighter Priest/Mage/Fighter Priest/Mage/Fighter
Priest/Mage/Fighter Priest/Mage/Fighter Thief/Ninja/Fighter

The Limper

Educated
Wizardry 8 did it right. Up to a 6 person team, plus NPCs. Cool-ass NPCs from non-player races were spot on and fit the story nicely. Vi and company were quite the complimentary cast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom