Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Dwarf Fortress

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I can't pick favorites or rate games, but one game that really started it all for me in some ways was Chrono Trigger. As a kid it just blew my mind, to the point I was taking time in class in school to write fan fiction of the game. Also with some friends we would LARP while playing together and i always imagined stuff from Chrono Trigger. So, it's very special to me.

Thanks for sharing guys, your responses are interesting! :)

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
The sopranos for ps2

the-sopranos-20060518043511466-1512830.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This question is very difficult to answer, but probably Dragon's Dogma with the Dark Arisen expansion. It has a fairly classic and relatively varied bestiary, reasonably emulates a party based experience that goes through the zero to hero progression arc with a satisfying set of abilities for each class at each level, and each class provides a different style of play.

Despite having an action focus, Dragon's Dogma is a true RPG since although your playstyle and personal skills matter, so do your character's stats and gear and they can make the dfiference between chipping away at a monster for negliglble damage and just nuking it outright.

The game also has many of the simulationist elements I enjoy like true darkness, water putting out lanterns, etc. It isn't a perfect game, but it's the one I can keep going back to time and again and it's the only game I 100% completed without it feeling like a chore (and one of the only games I bothered 100%ing at all). It's also a game that I completely geek out over whenever it comes up.

The lack of any substantial story in the game tends to be a strength in my mind since you have the bare minimum call to adventure and then are left to tool around and resolve the mysteries of the main quest and BBI. It doesn't really beat you over the head with any themes or make you feel like you should be remembering some wikipedia nonsense with names full of apostrophes, it just sets you off on a quest to kick the crap out of a decent part of the monster manual (after getting enough levels and gear to not be eaten by that subsection of the monster manual). Really, what lore do you need besides "wolves hunt in packs" and "goblins hate fire"?

The fact that it didn't get more appreciation generally and spawn a ton of sequels that build on its systems is just more proof that the universe is a cold and uncaring place.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I made several edits of the post since I just can't decide on one game. In the end I'm just going with Fallout 2.

Last edited:

Chimera

Augur
Terraria.

Dozens of competitors, certainly, a significant number of which are RPGs or at least an action-hybrid (Arcanum, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, VtM:Bloodlines) along with stellar titles in other genres such as Disgaea 5, Tactics Ogre, Age of Empires 2... but only Terraria has sufficiently robust systems to merit replaying immediately after I've just "beaten" it.

There are content updates that push the post-game, boundless opportunities for building farms, constructing novel NPC villages, even genuine art (some of the quasi-3D buildings that use perspective tricks are astonishing), along with something that none of the others really embrace: multiplayer.

I have played with friends and made new ones along the way. Combed through community servers. Worked on public build-projects. Discovered, tinkered with, even created mods of my own.

I won't pretend there isn't some nostalgia clouding my judgment, but Terraria is genuinely one of the few games whose breadth of content is sufficient to appease my gaming habits.

ferratilis

Magister
Probably Stalker. I used to buy a popular Croatian IT magazine that would come with a CD full of demos/trailers/software and there were some trailers for Stalker all the way back in 2002, or 2003 maybe. As a kid, my mind was blown by A-life, artifact hunt, their promise of vehicles etc. The graphics looked incredibly realistic for the time, and the atmosphere was unlike anything I've seen before. I would regulary check for news about it, delays, false promises until it released. It was disappointing but at the same time amazing because it still delivered on atmosphere, ballistics and A-life. The bugs prevented me from finishing the game on release afaik, but thanks to community and all the mods over the years, Stalker only got better. And it will most likely never be surpassed.

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm gonna have to say Deus Ex. Apart from giving you all these choices in how to complete your objectives, the game is like a book of fucking prophecy. War on terror, rise of the surveillence state, pandemic lockdowns, information consolidation.....it's all there, baby. My main take on the game back in the day was "cool sci-fi dystopia". When I replay the game today the reaction is more like "holy shit".

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom