Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

minakami

Educated
Tetris is better.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Darklands.

If I had to play one last game, a final meal of video games so to speak, it'd probably be Darklands. Then I'd beat it, turn off the computer, take the monitor, throw it out of the window, break the tower with a sledgehammer and take the long walk down the aisle. To marriage and family.

Many years my third son, Jebediah, will come up to me and ask if I ever played video games when I was a kid. At first I will ignore him, continuing my work in the woodshop as I'll be the local undertaker in a village located deep in Spain, but then I'll stop and look at him.

"I was something of a gamer once. But that was long ago. Go help your mother with dinner, and don't kick Herbet (that would be our pet goat) again. He's feeling ill."

And that'll be that.

lights cigarette

Shit.

Cerulean

Cipher
1200px-FNV_box_art_(US).jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hard to say, there are quite a few games I've really, really enjoyed. But if someone were to put a gun to my head and force me to choose one, it would have to be the MMO City of Heroes.

I probably got more long-lasting peak enjoyment out of that than any other game - 2 years of pure ecstasy.

If only single-player is allowed: the original System Shock.

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Outer Worlds Commandos 2: Men of Courage

Seriously, looking back every now and then, that's the one that informed my taste in games the most.

Systems-driven gameplay: :salute:
Stealth and social stealth: :salute:
Hoarding explosives: :salute:
Inventory Tetris: :salute:
Controlling a party of unlikely allies: :salute:
Isometric graphics: :salute:

If you mix and match these, you can see why I also love Fallout, Hitman, Deus Ex, XCOM, etc.

The thing that’s weirdest to me about this thread is how XCOM is the only game that I debated naming (over my beloved TIE Fighter) that I’ve seen mentioned in this thread. No love for KoDP, UU1, Dark Queen of Krynn, or Age of Wonders?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The thing that’s weirdest to me about this thread is how XCOM is the only game that I debated naming (over my beloved TIE Fighter) that I’ve seen mentioned in this thread. No love for KoDP, UU1, Dark Queen of Krynn, or Age of Wonders?

I think it's that the limit of one really makes you dig deep to decide what you actually love. Otherwise, you get the usual lists.

I mean, there are a variety of games that I think are great for various reasons. Many are more prestigious than my pick, but if we're going to get down to brass tacks, nothing else does what it does. I expect that others faced the same conundrum. Or else they lied through their teeth for KKKs (but I doubt it, given most of the replies).

Quality aside, for me, the #1 game would also be one that I could reasonably play for the rest of my life and nothing else.

So, does the choice include any and all possible mods for such a game? If yes, then Fallout New Vegas.

If not, then after long consideration I'll have to choose either Morrowind, or going by the terms of gameplay itself, Thief: The Dark Project -- not Thief Gold though. Most of the stuff the latter adds is subpar, detrimental to T1, retconned in and inconsequential (as you never hear of Thieves guild and that Brotherhood ever again) and significantly hurts the pacing. I think I'll go with Morrowind seeing as it showed me Hinduism and metaphysics to a large extend.

I also have half a mind to mention Deadly Premonition, and I'm not sure how unironically I mean that.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any game, no matter how much you like it, will eventually get tedious and boring if you play it for the rest of your life. The idea is more like ''you have one month left to live, which game will you play before you die."

Curratum

Any game, no matter how much you like it, will eventually get tedious and boring if you play it for the rest of your life. The idea is more like ''you have one month left to live, which game will you play before you die."

You must not be familiar with pvp games that get new maps every year :D

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux

Could have picked Fallout New Vegas as well, but this game definitely has some shortcomings (buggy, shitty engine, sadly feels unfinished sometimes) compared to Strange Journey, which overall is just a fantastic, "balanced", and bug free package.

481081-shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey-redux-nintendo-3ds-front-cover.jpg

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I don't really have one favorite, but if you put a gun to my head what single game I would have to take to an island, it's probably this (+ the Cosmic Forge editor)

10892-wizardry-crusaders-of-the-dark-savant-dos-front-cover.jpg

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

No, personally I was never too interested in multiplayer video games. But in any case, I'm not sure a video game that gets frequent content updates like that could be considered as 'the same game', especially when a few years of added content go by.

Curratum

No, personally I was never too interested in multiplayer video games. But in any case, I'm not sure a video game that gets frequent content updates like that could be considered as 'the same game', especially when a few years of added content go by.

Well, that's the charm - the mechanics, interactions and fundamentals are the same, you just get new scenarios and environments to play with those mechanics, so it's as close as possible to a game that you may be interested in playing forever, if you are REALLY into the core material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom