Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Zombra, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Gregz Arcane

Gregz
    Please don't make me answer that.

• Funny x 3
    • Friendly x 3
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    I was racking my brain over being monocled and saying Planescape: Torment or embracing my filthy weebery and going with Fate/Stay Night.

I was getting nowhere quickly, so I decided to shift my criteria a bit and copy someone else's choosing method: which one game would I take to a deserted island? Thinking about that made me realize: as wonderful as those two titles I mentioned are, they aren't really conducive to lots of successive replays, given how text-centered both of them are. I love them to pieces, but I WOULDN't take any of them to a place where they'd be my only gaming choice.

So I'm going to go right ahead and say Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. The only game I've completed four times (even Thief Gold and Thief 2 were titles I only finished twice), and I'd wager I could easily play it a dozen times more.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. curds Erudite

curds
    Imo Bloodlines is too linear and doesn't allow for enough experimentation gameplay-wise to be a good desert island game, even though it is an awesome game.

If we're using the desert island method to choose a favourite I pick doom/doom 2 if mods etc are allowed. Otherwise dark souls 1 or Arcanum.

Damn I still can't pick one.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    Thing is, while it IS rather linear, I'm a sucker for plot - and atmosphere. Bloodlines' aesthetics and world just speak to me on a deeper level than any other game, for some bizarre reason (Hell, I don't even like vampires); I'd wager it has to do with how just amazing it is at immersing the player in its consistent, unified vision - even with all the cracks and warts, you still feel like there's a core philosophy that dictates everything the game shows you. That, combined with the sufficiently different "tastes" the various clans give you, makes VtMB the only story-heavy game that gives me a desire to replay it the very moment I see the credits.

But admittedly, now that I think about it, since we're going with desert island... all of this is only true if I knew I'd get to leave the island at some point. If I had no fucking idea when I'd be able to see civilization again, it'd probably be wiser to go with a game that has a much larger replay value, even if the first few playthroughs wouldn't be as enormously enjoyable (to me) as a game like Vampire. Something like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, most likely.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    Someone other than me liked Vanguard. Awesome.

Judging by the amount of times I have replayed it I choose Earthbound followed by the more manly choice of Fallout 2. I almost chose Super Castlevania 4 because I could boot it up now and play it and enjoy it, but this is RPGCodex or something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. prengle Savant

prengle
    [​IMG]

:troll:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Peaceful protest x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Onionguy Educated

Onionguy
    fully agree with bloodlines, the only other games that reached the same heights of immersion for me were thief dp and stalker soc.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Note to KafkaBot and cursed: you can use whatever method is meaningful to you, but "desert island" was not what I had in mind in the OP. I'm just curious which game you simply love the best, without forcing restrictions or hypothetical situations.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. KafkaBot Educated

KafkaBot
    Yep, I'm aware, but I was hopelessly stuck between Planescape: Torment and Fate/Saty Night. Since you were specifically asking for a single game, I went with the desert island approach.

Gun to my head, I'd probably say Planescape, but solely because we're on the Codex. If this was, say, a weeb-centric forum, I'd probably say Fate/Stay Night instead :positive:

• Friendly x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    OG Deus Ex.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. MurkrLurkr Novice

MurkrLurkr
    If we go by the OP's description of our expiration (latin word expirare, to breathe out, also meant to die) date, the game that would be uttered by my dying lips, the last breath of air that I tried to articulate to answer his question would be something akin to a whisper carresing his ear, so he can feel my spirit (in ancient Hebrew ruach, word for spirit, God's breath, also meant wind) leaving behind it's box, with gentle tunes of "Nerevar rising" accompanying the process of dissipation of life to Sithis from which it was called by ALMSIVI, I would exclaim MorroWind :deadtroll:

• nice nice x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ELEXmakesMeHard Educated

ELEXmakesMeHard
    If I could only play 1 game for the rest of my life, I'd likely go with Neverwinter Nights. Assuming I'd have access to all modules, and all persistent worlds.

As much as I love Gothic 1-2, I've replayed them so many times I that could close my eyes and imagine full detailed playthroughs in my head. There's unfortunately a limit to how many times I'll enjoy doing the same stuff over and over, no matter how great. This... even goes for... ELEX. :|

With NWN I can not only revisit stories I'm a bit nostalgic about, but also enjoy new player content, and do some RP with others (or troll them) if I feel like it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    going with Zombra's criteria, I'd say Link's Awakening, but I'd have a hard time articulating why

• nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. SumDrunkGuy Magister Shitposter

SumDrunkGuy
    REmake if I had to guess.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    Neverwinter Nights with modules and persistent worlds was a big part of my cRPG life at one time (in fact, I even recently bought NWN:EE for $2.00 from a key store just in case I get the itch again) but I'd have to go with Doom II + certain pwads for my bestest ever.

• Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Poseidon00 Arcane

Poseidon00
    Honestly it's probably Mortal Kombat Armageddon lol. The 3D era was taking big cues from DnD lore at the same time as I was getting into DnD as well, and I ended up running several campaigns in Outworld/Earthrealm. When I wasn't rolling dice or rolling virtual dice in NWN or Baldurs Gate, I was creating characters in MKA and translating them into 3.5 rules.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Sandro Botticelli Literate

Sandro Botticelli
    Heroes of Might and Magic 3. By hours played alone it would win. It's one of those games that no matter how much time has passed, it's always easy to get back into. It never shows its age to me even after playing newer strategy games.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Deus Ex. Still finding new (to me) things 20 years later. It's the best game of cyberpunk, which is one of my top 3 genres/settings. Writing and plot are in the top 5 of all games. Music is perfectly harmonized with content. Immersion/atmosphere is top rank. Characters are as memorable as any in the medium. I grew up a consolefag, but this game changed all that. It kicked off 20 years of going back into the archives of PC gaming to catch up on the greats I missed, and PC becoming my primary platform.

I think only a New Vegas level FPRPG in the same or similar setting could ever top it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    When I played Deus Ex the year it came out, I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die. Actually, not quite but i did let my brother get shot so I could high tail it the hell out of there. Hey, he's the one who insisted that I make my escape while he held them off and sacrificed himself. I felt bad seeing him on the slab later and perhaps wondered if i should have considered that the game might have had actual C&C. Live and learn.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    Then it's better to play something really fucking awful, so that you look forward to dying.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Moaning_Clock SmokeSomeFrogs Developer

Moaning_Clock
    Hard question but likely Rayman 2: The Great Escape. Still fun after all these years. Fueled by nostalgia obviously.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Nothing wrong with nostalgia. "Best I ever had" is expected to be seen through a rosy filter.

^ Top  
  23. distant Learned

distant
    Hard to say because obviously love different games for different reasons. If you asked me when I was younger I would have instantly said Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines. Replayed it relatively recently and still loved it so probably that.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    Doom.

^ Top  
  25. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    My brain says Championship Manager 01/02, but my heart says Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.

I will go with my heart on this one. Yes, combat is broken, but it gave me a feeling that many other games after cannot give me. I don't often use the word immersion, because I always feel like it does not apply to me. I don't get immersed in the way other talk about some games. I am always fully aware that I am playing a game, but Arcanum is the closest game to give me that feeling.

CM 01/02 is unrivaled in how many hours I have spent with a single game. I play it to this day. Arcanum, I have been playing less and less these past few years.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.