Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPG to play during a low mood

rubinstein

Educated
in awe of people who are able to muster enough energy to play video games, especially challenging ones or requiring a lot of attention/reading, when feeling blue.
when i get sad i simply put "i know its over" on repeat and try to dissociate into an another dimension, i dont even think about rolling virtual dice.

someone mentioned vtmb. i am currently playing it while feeling kinda ok, but i wouldnt ever touch it when sad - it has amazing atmosphere, and it becomes very easy once you know it, but still can be extremely frustrating with its lack of quality.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Earthbound. Get your kids to play it at age 8 if possible. Let them have some goodness in their life.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
New Vegas, Grim Dawn, Mount & Blade. Note that these are more ARPGs than CRPGs, which is probably why they're my go-to games when I'm down. New Vegas in particular, despite not being the best game in the Fallout series, is IMO the most wholesome, especially when you're slaughtering raider scum by the dozens.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You should go outside and lift weights if you're feeling down, not sit at your fucking computer.

FriendlyMerchant

You're probably depressed because you don't spend enough time outside. Depression is a symptom of a Vitamin D deficiency. It's also a symptom of other nutritional deficiencies. Sad. Many such cases, especially on this website from what I can gleam from the database at my work.

Arryosha

Learned
Was there any chance "Just go outside" wasn't going to be the entire thread?

Baldur's Gate 1 (the original) always lights me up if I'm in a bad mood. The way it tells its story, the idyllic world design, the light-hearted low-level adventuring, everything makes me feel cozy and warm with this game. I
BG1 was the only game I could play after my friend died a few years ago, probably for these reasons.

Not an RPG, but I think Primordia would make a good game to play while you're down. Has a quiet sombre soundtrack with enough puzzles to occupy the mind. It's also not a game that will alter that mood drastically when sometimes a man just needs to reflect and be sad for a while.

rubinstein

Educated
You're probably depressed because you don't spend enough time outside. Depression is a symptom of a Vitamin D deficiency. It's also a symptom of other nutritional deficiencies. Sad. Many such cases, especially on this website from what I can gleam from the database at my work.
chemical imbalance theory is already dead, dont try to sell people other similar stupid shit.
"Ugh, you have been building up your uhapiness throughout your entire life observing smarter, better looking people achieving effortlessly what you have been dreaming of, finding a purpose, a cause worth fighting form and now you are sad??? this means you lack... le sun!"
no one who spent at least a couple of years in trenches of adulthood will buy this crap. depression comes from soul, from lack of vitamin L: capital-L Love, and hope, and faith that come with it.

Supermedo

Augur
You should go outside and lift weights if you're feeling down, not sit at your fucking computer.
I appreciate people's help regarding my mental wellbeing, I do go to the gym and left weights five days a week, though I agree I need to go out more as I work remotely from home, and I would love to touch fucking grass If I wasn't living in an urban hellscape and I need to drive to a park.
Nah, my low mood is anxiety caused by my family, so there is no easy fix for that.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fallout 2 used to be my got-to RPG (Civ 4 for a non-RPG) and mainly still is…

But later I found that Divinity: Original Sin games are bright and colourful and have that lighthearted and cheerful tone to them.

Same for Migh&Magic X: Legacy.

They’re not very heavyhanded games either.

As such, I found them somewhat relaxing when I was squirming in the lower planes.

FriendlyMerchant

chemical imbalance theory is already dead, dont try to sell people other similar stupid shit.
It's not. Now take your meds goy.

Dadd

Learned
"Ugh, you have been building up your uhapiness throughout your entire life observing smarter, better looking people achieving effortlessly what you have been dreaming of, finding a purpose, a cause worth fighting form and now you are sad??? this means you lack... le sun!"
I am smarter and better looking and still unhappy. What now?

Btw Nox is the best game to play when you're feeling like shit.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Listen to the gnomish turnip merchant.
I find that walking or even camping is incredibly refreshing,spending time in nature,reading a book etc.
Playing RPGs while in a bad mood is just not my thing.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I'm never in a low mood. But if there's any RPG that I play to relax, it's Deus Ex, if that counts. Looking Glass games in general as well, though none of them are RPGs besides Ultima Underworld. I must've played the first level of Deus Ex countless times by now. I replayed Liberty Island and Hell's Kitchen dozens of times before I even beat the game. Can anyone else relate with that? Just starting a new game every time you boot it up instead of actually continuing your progress? I always felt like I had missed something.

S.torch

Arbiter
Was there any chance "Just go outside" wasn't going to be the entire thread?

There are some decent answers already. At least the thread endured a bit more before improvebrahs started with their amazing advice.

Codex Year of the Donut
this, buy a steamdeck and play rpgs outside

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm never in a low mood. But if there's any RPG that I play to relax, it's Deus Ex, if that counts. Looking Glass games in general as well, though none of them are RPGs besides Ultima Underworld. I must've played the first level of Deus Ex countless times by now. I replayed Liberty Island and Hell's Kitchen dozens of times before I even beat the game. Can anyone else relate with that? Just starting a new game every time you boot it up instead of actually continuing your progress? I always felt like I had missed something.
Yeah funny thing about Deus Ex is that even though it tried to portray a society that was tearing itself apart, the music, low-fi graphics and budget 90s cheese (especially in dialogues) had the opposite effect, making it feel like a warm and comely game to play on a gloomy day.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Going outside is important (and OP should drive to the park,) but sometimes life is shit and all you can do is wade around in it until you have an opportunity to make life better. I find Kingmaker very comfortable and relaxing and homely, so I would go for that if I were feeling down. Either that or some other game I'm intimately familiar with, can't get into a new RPG when I'm down.

FriendlyMerchant

this, buy a steamdeck and play rpgs outside
That would be good for my stock portfolio and also help ward off depression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom