Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs have you played in the last 7 days?

In the last 7 days..

• I have played RPGs

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • I only pretend to like RPGs

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 6 and The Dark Heart of Uukrul.

Falksi

Arcane
I pick up a game, figure out the game loop and put it down after a couple of hours. I don't think I am depressed, just think I have seen it all and I am only 23 for crying out loud. Maybe one of these days a game will come and pique my interest for dozens of hours so that I can hopefully see it through the end. Elden Ring and Todd's Starfield might be able to do that, hopefully...I don't know.
:negative:

I think you need to dig a bit deeper dude. Yeah most games have a loop, but a lot are still great despite that. It's a bit like saying you don't like songs because you've heard the same 12 notes and the same chord progressions before, the enjoyment is in the full package.

What CRPGs which you've played do you think fall into this category?
Avadon, Serpent in the Staglands, Outer Worlds, Deus Ex are some of the games I remember losing all the excitement for after a couple of hours. Deus Ex is the most engaging of them all, I just could not pick it up later when I wanted to. Elex is the only RPG I recently went in with low expectations, which surprisingly didn't disappoint me. I think I would play it for a little while longer and see how things pan out.

Mate, they're all short lived RPGs anyway. Serpent in the Staglands hits you with fantastic atmosphere and setup, but then it's an empty world.

The first 3 are probably 3 examples of games which are very guilty of what you describe, but not all RPGs are like that. Deus Ex is a different story, but unless you've gone in blind and played that until around half way in you're not getting the proper experience anyway.

lametta

Educated
playing:
*Wasteland 3(maybe not the best but not the worst crpg either)
*Arcanum (good game)
Thinking about buying Dungeon Rats (after seeing Pink Eye's vid)

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
I finished Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous on the third of October, since then I am playing Thief : Deadly Shadows. The gameplay, especially the level design are worse than Thief1/2, but the plot, the atmosphere and how the story is conveyed, are actually quite good. An interesting setting and competent story telling go quite far. Sadly Pathfinder offers little on that front, which is a shame since the gameplay mechanics are substantial. After finishing Thief I plan to play Elex which will probably last for a while. Then I'll either continue with Wastelands 3 or Baldurs Gate 3 if its finished.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Disciples Liberatiom. It's no Disciples 2, but a mighty fine game in its own right. It still has some problems like no difficulty, but with some self imposed limitations it's already fun as hell.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • Avernum: Escape from the pit - thoroughly fucking loved it. Got around 25 hours in and fucked my party build up by experimenting, so putting it to one side now and restarting in a few weeks.

Same here! I'm about 40 hours in.

You ever play the original Exile: Escape from the Pit? That was my first RPG. I haven't played it in forever, so this has been a nice blast from the past.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
This thread made me want to confess. I played Numenera a few days ago, it was my third playthrough. To me, it's so great I wanted to make a codex thread about Numenera deserving love after finishing it again, but I have no idea when I'll finish it. It's hard to explain, because it's not actually that good if we're being objective, but it still is good to me, because it gets my brain working. Everything in it, from you, to the followers, to the towns, to the prose, to the dialogue system, to combat is flawed in just the right way to make me think: "this would've been perfect if I changed this here, and this here, and that thing there, and some stuff over here". It pushes me into this state where I feel like I'm playing two games at once - the actual Numenera, and the Numenera I would've made if I was on that team. In every aspect, it's *this* close to becoming my favorite modern RPG, very haunting. I also love the idea behind the setting, and it constantly keeps my mind racing. A world that went through not one, not two, but eight apocalyptic events, but still they persist, crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time, and lost in space and meaning. ANYTHING could be possible in this setting and still be feasible, it could've been HUGE! It could've been the chosen one! A glorious blend of fantasy and sci-fi rarely seen after the Mandate of Heaven! If only the game did more with it, delved deeper, had more development time, a few DLCs, a modkit that is easy to use. I made up dozens of game plots and even settings while playing Numenera, some of which might with time just turn into actual games, and that's not something I experienced even after playing objectively better games. So there might just be something to it! I dunno, I'm not a doctor. But I think it doesn't deserve being buried in obscurity like it is now. It should be dug up!

Same feels with Caves of Qud I also recently played again. I stopped fangirling over it for what it is some time ago, due to overexposure via 450+ hours of playtime, but I still love it for the stories it paints in my head. It can be great!

I really want to play the tons of RPGs released this autumn.

Salt and Sanctuary. It's awesome.
I love it! Very happy they are making a sequel. I got it years ago, thinking it was nothing but a rip-off, but it's really distinct, I hope more people learn about it!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Atomboy, I feel the same way Dead State. Objectively, it's not a good game, but I loved it for some reason.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Stranger of Sword City
Disgaea 5
XCom Long War Rebalanced (does this count as an RPG? oh fuck why did I ask that...)

Thinking of playing SMT 1/2 or finally beating FF VI
Might pull the trigger on DUNGEON ENCOUNTERS because the thread about it here makes it sound amazing.

Codex Year of the Donut
Atomboy, I feel the same way Dead State. Objectively, it's not a good game, but I loved it for some reason.
I liked the incredibly large cast of characters yet they were still all fairly well fleshed out and different.
Also probably is one of the more nonlinear RPGs that exists, you can go nearly anywhere from the start of the game in any order and events do change based upon what was done before it.

Falksi

Arcane
  • Avernum: Escape from the pit - thoroughly fucking loved it. Got around 25 hours in and fucked my party build up by experimenting, so putting it to one side now and restarting in a few weeks.

Same here! I'm about 40 hours in.

You ever play the original Exile: Escape from the Pit? That was my first RPG. I haven't played it in forever, so this has been a nice blast from the past.

Yes mate, many years ago and I used to love it. But I couldn't remember much about it at all, hence why I was eager to finally get this played. I'd totally forgotten how to shape a party and ended up spreading points thin and spending points wank.

I think Avernum's a great upgrade. Adds a few extra layers of niceness, without losing much of what made the original great.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Yes mate, many years ago and I used to love it. But I couldn't remember much about it at all, hence why I was eager to finally get this played. I'd totally forgotten how to shape a party and ended up spreading points thin and spending points wank.

In your defense, the combat seems to have been where most of the changes occurred. Just going from 6 to 4 party members is a big shift.

I think Avernum's a great upgrade. Adds a few extra layers of niceness, without losing much of what made the original great.

Ignoring nostalgia, I can't decide yet if I like it more than the original or not. I feel like the combat took a step back with some of the streamlining, but I enjoy the additions and quality of life improvements. Regardless, the core of what made the original great is still there.

Humanophage

Arcane
Haven't really played anything much this week, got a bit preoccupied, so the only game I played for more than an hour was a nervous bout of Civilization 4. I did try Serpents in the Staglands a bit as well as KOTOR2 in French, but not enough to say I was "playing" them.

However, I played about 60-80 hours of ELEX a month ago and some Stoneshard later. Will probably play more Stoneshard soon, but for now I relax by reading, listening to audiobooks, and posting.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
I have elected to finally acquaint myself with Dragon Age: Origins and successfully completed a playthrough. Peculiar game seemingly standing, legs apart, between two different styles of design, both mechanically and thematically.

Combat systems try to maintain the facade of being complex and tactical while being almost entirely MMO-style popamole. Dungeoning is mostly a painful slog, with tiresome, uninspired encounters through levels that (with the exception of the Deep Roads, where I felt it thematically appropriate and indeed adding to the experience) have no right to be as massive as they were. AoD spoiled me with its thieves hideout being an actual house with a few murder-minded people inside, not a gigantic base filled with a small army of killers that apparently flew in on a C-130 from around the world just to make sure our hero has a bad day, deadly traps around every corner, that I guess thieves jump around everytime they go to take a leak and mass of locked chests where the baddies keep their precious 1-2 crafting items and a fistful of coins. The sidequests also leave much to be desired, ranging from MMO-style busy-work of the "go there, kill those guys, bring me X of that and report on the ass end of the fucking country" variety to plain ridiculous "help Warden, I want to tap that ass, but I'm a wimp who can't hunt down a single creature so I'm technically a child and she won't let me smash". The board quests could be entirely removed and the game would be better for it.

Storywise, an attempt was made for a dark, opressive tone. At least that's the idea I got from cinematics, music and graphics. Yet this seems to falter in many places, with largely clichéd and naive plot or light-hearted banter between a rag-tag bunch of misfits on a quest to save the kingdom or quests like the aforementioned "help me smash".

Oddly enough, the game makes for a quaint experience, but the kind that I wouldn't want to ever repeat without mods to cut the tedium and fix the bugs. Which is what I'm doing now. And its all so much smoother with autoloot, countless bug- and rulefixes, sped-up running and the like. Will complete this way and try DLC stories.

Tsubutai

Educated
Finished a sword saint run through wrath of the righteous.

Dragged a couple of different characters to the current end-state of the Colony Ship beta so I can see what the new content being released in a few days is like on different story paths.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Age of Wonders.
It's got better combat than nearly all RPGs and better exploration than most.

Age of Wonders 1? The combat is cool (you can have up to 56 units on the battlefield) but too reliant on hits and misses. And unlimited counterattacks. 1 titan with 6 attack and 6 defense can destroy unlimited number of infantry in 1 turn by counterattacks itself.

It's better in AoW2. Units only have 2 counterattacks in turn and it eats their movement points in the next turn.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom