Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What RPGs have you played in the last 7 days?

In the last 7 days..

• I have played RPGs

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • I only pretend to like RPGs

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrMarbles

Cipher
Atom RPG - 3rd playthrough to try full unarmed
Pathfinder WotR - I know, it's not great but I liked Kingmaker and wanted to check it out. With non-kooky mercenaries the overall game is decent.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Started over again with a better setup playing Fate: Gates of Dawn.

Also been playing Pool of Radiance (trying the Amiga version), and Wizardry 7.

Although not really an RPG I just this morning before leaving for work tried Realms of the Haunting for the first time. I love what little I’ve seen so far but will need to look into remapping the controls because the strafing keys are awkward to use unless holding down the right mouse button for momentum (similar to Menzoberranzen and the two Ravenloft games) which nullifies simultaneous action controls, so that’s not going to go well once combat becomes difficult.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Some of you guys playing 5+ games in parallel, wow. I could never do that sort of thing, I'd just get massively confused. 1 book, 1 tv series and 1 game for me at any given time, and that's it.

I'm the same way except when I'm looking for something to grab me where I might tool around in the intros of several games trying to make a decision. Also some of the more "pure" games I get into might be super short where a run takes 1-3 hours.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm the same way except when I'm looking for something to grab me where I might tool around in the intros of several games trying to make a decision. Also some of the more "pure" games I get into might be super short where a run takes 1-3 hours.
Typically I am this way as well, and to clarify my previous post I ought to say that the only game I'm truly playing with dedication recently is Fate: Gates of Dawn.

I've previously played both Pool of Radiance and Wizardry 7, the former I'm just checking out in the Amiga version for fun, and the latter because I plan on doing a Wizardry 6 and 7 then Grimoire session and need to get into that mode.

As far as books go though, it is a totally different story in that at any given moment there are between 2 and upwards of 10 books that I'm alternating depending on mood. But then it is almost exclusively non-fiction, and mostly at least relatively related history books (whether academic and contemporary or translations of originals) and I have goals of comprehension in mind, so it is not overwhelming. For instance I'm mostly focused on 8th - 12th century north European history lately, so I'm currently reading 2 different academic works on Carolingian civilization, Widukind's 'Deeds of the Saxons', the Gesta or 'History of the Archbishops of Hamburg-Bremen' by Adam of Bremen, and a few others not necessarily related (a newer translation of the Malleus Malleficarum, the Decline of the West by Oswald Spengler, and 'La relacion' of Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca which is one of the most truly insane and awesome books I've ever read). There are also multi-volume works that I only pick up to read as the mood strikes me, some of which I've actually been 'reading' for over a year, such as an 8 volume edition of Thomas Aquinas' entire Summa Theologiae, the briefer Anatomy of Melancholy by Richard Burton, and another 8 volume book The History of Magic and Experimental Science by Lynn Thorndike.

As much as I love CRPGs, my love of reading and passion for history takes precedence. I can go for months without playing a video game but I cannot go a single day without reading if it can be helped, and if for some reason I don't even manage to fit in a half hour of reading before falling asleep I feel awful. Certain video games I become obsessive over to the point where when I really get into them they consume the majority of my free time, such as my annual reinstalling of Morrowind and catching up on the modding scene since I've been away, or when enough time goes by that I become enthusiastic about replaying the original Fallout games, but these games also have a tremendous amount of lore to explore while not actually playing that make them so involved. My upcoming Wizardry and Grimoire marathon is going to require that kind of devotion, and I'm just not there psychologically at the moment, so I've been brushing up on the side until I feel ready.

Cole23

Barely Literate
I started playing the classic Old School RuneScape XD. It's a pretty nice game and it relaxes me to play it. Although I had to take several tutorials to learn how to play it.

BruceVC

Magister
Does RPGcodex actually play RPGs?

I've been playing modded Skyrim.

Great question and sometimes I feel you need to make a law that says something like " every gamer had to play an RPG at least every 2 weeks " ....thats fair ?

Skyrim modded is an amazing experience and Im envious. But Im playing Quest for Glory 4, released in 1994, and its a classic adventure game but the manual says its also RPG?

I restarted gaming properly in 2007 or so and I started with Morrowind and Gothic 3 so I am trying to change a type of lived gaming preference because I plan to play all the older RPG like Gold Set AD@D, Ultima, M&M and Wizardry which I have never played but I first need to learn to appreciate the reality of older games like graphics is not everything and your imagination is the greatest tool you need
So Quest 4 is an older game and I am still enjoying it .....the puzzles are taking some time to enjoy but I have never been crazy about puzzles :P

BruceVC

Magister
I have elected to finally acquaint myself with Dragon Age: Origins and successfully completed a playthrough. Peculiar game seemingly standing, legs apart, between two different styles of design, both mechanically and thematically.

Combat systems try to maintain the facade of being complex and tactical while being almost entirely MMO-style popamole. Dungeoning is mostly a painful slog, with tiresome, uninspired encounters through levels that (with the exception of the Deep Roads, where I felt it thematically appropriate and indeed adding to the experience) have no right to be as massive as they were. AoD spoiled me with its thieves hideout being an actual house with a few murder-minded people inside, not a gigantic base filled with a small army of killers that apparently flew in on a C-130 from around the world just to make sure our hero has a bad day, deadly traps around every corner, that I guess thieves jump around everytime they go to take a leak and mass of locked chests where the baddies keep their precious 1-2 crafting items and a fistful of coins. The sidequests also leave much to be desired, ranging from MMO-style busy-work of the "go there, kill those guys, bring me X of that and report on the ass end of the fucking country" variety to plain ridiculous "help Warden, I want to tap that ass, but I'm a wimp who can't hunt down a single creature so I'm technically a child and she won't let me smash". The board quests could be entirely removed and the game would be better for it.

Storywise, an attempt was made for a dark, opressive tone. At least that's the idea I got from cinematics, music and graphics. Yet this seems to falter in many places, with largely clichéd and naive plot or light-hearted banter between a rag-tag bunch of misfits on a quest to save the kingdom or quests like the aforementioned "help me smash".

Oddly enough, the game makes for a quaint experience, but the kind that I wouldn't want to ever repeat without mods to cut the tedium and fix the bugs. Which is what I'm doing now. And its all so much smoother with autoloot, countless bug- and rulefixes, sped-up running and the like. Will complete this way and try DLC stories.
Well done for finally playing this worthwhile game. It is a good experience and you just have to be fair when you play it that its not supposed to be a BG replica and it has to stand on it own because some Bioware loyalists expected a more classic BG experience
And I liked the Romance arcs which complimented the interesting companion quests which I used to complete. Anyway I feel if any experienced gamer who has played any classic RPG can enjoy DA:O thats a win for Bioware
I would like you to play DA 2 but I must be honest this game had some valid issues that indicated Bioware was lazy and its not as elegant as DA:O. For example lets say you are someone who is fastidious about the actual game design and it's expected mechanics then just prepare yourself for things that you will notice like reused dungeon design and other things that people were angry about
But my advice is just ignore those obvious problems because the narrative offers some real good quests like fighting the wizards and the narrative is worth the time.....and you have good new companion quests

Smerlus

Educated
I'm finishing the last DLC on Wasteland 3.

It's a shame that they put game mechanics in the DLC when it would have been nice to see them sprinkled through out the entire game. Also the end battle seems pretty stupid and shoehorned in just like the other DLC's end.

lecrop

Educated
Today I started playing the remake of Ambermoon developed by Pyrdacor, and I am having fun as I have not done in a long time, a great job and a great game!

3AuRGzi.jpg

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Recently almost finished Divinity Original Sin 2 for the first time. It's actually pretty good all around.

In my library and possibly next:

- ATOM (haven't tried it yet)
- Bards Tale 4 (tried it twice and gave up after a short time)
- Pathfinder (tried it once and stopped after a few hours)
- Numenera (played more than half of it when it came out)

Itching for a Baldurs Gate 2 replay too to get my mage battles fix. Or maybe do Icewind Dale instead since I completely forgot those stories, unlike BG2.

Sunri

Liturgist
Recently almost finished Divinity Original Sin 2 for the first time. It's actually pretty good all around.

In my library and possibly next:

- ATOM (haven't tried it yet)
- Bards Tale 4 (tried it twice and gave up after a short time)
- Pathfinder (tried it once and stopped after a few hours)
- Numenera (played more than half of it when it came out)

Itching for a Baldurs Gate 2 replay too to get my mage battles fix. Or maybe do Icewind Dale instead since I completely forgot those stories, unlike BG2.

Why did you stop playing pathfinder? :M

Sunri

Liturgist
Why did you stop playing pathfinder? :M

I didn't like being basically railroaded, quite a let down if you expect something like BG or even Pillars.

We are talking about kingmaker? if yes then its not that bad you can explore map in whatever order you want and between exploration you have main quest that pops out with limited time

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
This saturday I played Heart of Evil, a Half-Life 1 mod, and since they made it have an inventory in the latest version compared to that which I played as a kid, it's technically an RPG so there. It's very funny and janky, made me remember how I wanted to make a gldsrc RPG when I was 9, good times. It would take place in a flat block assailed by greys and KGB spooks and crescendoed with my school friend Artyom transforming into a vagina monster.
I then spent 20 minutes pretending I was able to play Brian Lancaster's latest gem Warlordocracy. That would be rad. This guy, he's onto something with all those games.
Then Battle Brothers. It's such a wonderful game, limitless replayability. This time I wanted to be gladiators and crippled myself by having at least five crossbowmen in the far line at all times, instead of having guys with halberds as per usual. Very fun, still get text encounters I previously never got, even after 100 hours spent. The humor sometimes reminds me of another game I know, that's probably because we share an editor. Next week I'll finally try the new pathfinder.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Phantasie I, Atari ST version.
There's something almost therapeutic about old blobbers and blobberoids, where you create a party (none of whom is The Chosen One or The One Who Must Be Romanced), venture forth, slay monsters, get back to town, train and distribute loot, and then repeat the cycle.

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Phantasie I, Atari ST version.
There's something almost therapeutic about old blobbers and blobberoids, where you create a party (none of whom is The Chosen One or The One Who Must Be Romanced), venture forth, slay monsters, get back to town, train and distribute loot, and then repeat the cycle.
Seeing the progress Fluent has made and his enthusiasm for it has made me want to play the Phantasie games, too. I've now got Atari ST, MS-DOS, Apple II and Commodore 64 versions of it set up in LaunchBox so I'll try each of them soon.

A game I've had in the back of my mind for a while now that has lately been calling to me is Wizard's Crown. I haven't tried it just yet, but it too is ready to go for Apple II, Atari ST and Commodore 64. Does anybody have a recommendation for which version is preferable?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just so you know, he's enthusiastic about pretty much any game. It didn't help him in case of Underrail tho, as far as I know.
Yea, I just was watching a video he uploaded of it emulating an Apple II version and it made me want to try it. It is one of the many games I've had on my mental list to try for a long time but seeing it being actively discussed here as encouraged me to move it up in priority.

Red Hexapus

Learned
Playing through Wizardry 6 right now. Left the castle and heading for the mountain atm. Enjoying the game and the puzzles, but there are some things in the game design I'm glad that have changed since the game was released. The ones that annoy me are random attribute increases at level up and only a single savegame (backing it up from time to time, to keep from accidentally screwing myself)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom