Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should have been in the blank?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Sharpedge

Prophet
The blank space is the natural progression of the series, considering how they removed more and more features with every new game in the series.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Things like this just reinforce my opinion that the current ethos of big budget games are unsustainable. Nothing Bethesda could put out would be worth the wait and what they will put out certainly won't be that. B-teams should be doing something like addition expansions to Skyrim or a stand-alone game that uses a lot of Skyrim's assets.

Desiderius

Patron
Uh, maybe I'm missing some joke here, but weren't Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 released after Skyrim?

You're missing the point yes, though the joke is on you if you think those would be appropriate to fill that blank.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
From Bethesda's point of view, you've been really silly for not putting ESO on that timeline. Its updates too.

You think they're not really working on anything? Hah.

:pete:

Desiderius

Patron
Yeah ESO obviously and that online CCG that was actually pretty good but that they didn’t support for very long.

But why couldn’t they walk and chew gum at the same time? Not like MMO and cRPG crowd are identical, and many fans of the IP would buy both.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uh, maybe I'm missing some joke here, but weren't Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 released after Skyrim?

You're missing the point yes, though the joke is on you if you think those would be appropriate to fill that blank.

Why though?

Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and Fallout 4 is Skyrim with guns.
The name on the box is a different one, but the gameplay is the same.

Desiderius

Patron
Gameplay? Does Skyrim have the same gameplay as Morrowind? Fallout happens in Tamriel?

What does this image convict people of that’s so painful that they have to sprain their brain not getting the point?

Im not even sure that it’s right. Maybe the suits decided to migrate the whole fanbase over to MMO the better to monetize you and dev creativity is busting out all over in other games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Monetize me? I haven't touched the MMO even once because I don't like MMOs, and never will. Only buy Bethesda games on deep sales at 70% or more off.

The only sequel to Elder Scrolls I'm looking forward to are the Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel mods for Morrowind. Because they're the only canon continuations of my favorite RPG ever, Morrowind.
Nothing Bethesda has released since Oblivion is canon. It's just bad retcons.

Maybe they've realized that, and that's why they haven't released a new TES game since Skyrim :M

Sharpedge

Prophet
If we are talking about what we would like to have seen fill the blank, then a game with action combat similar to Dragon's Dogma, but with actual character building, slapped onto an open world with proper quest design. Considering not one Bethesda game has combat even remotely comparable to Dragon's Dogma and the quality of the world+quest design goes down with every release in the series, this is something that is never going to happen.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
In reality, The Elder Scrolls Online and that funky card game.

But in my heart, Tamriel Rebuilt and the mods that aren't shit.

Desiderius

Patron
Yes, that’s the point. Suits suck. They fucked up. What would you have put next?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Normies unironically think the 00s were a golden age of gaming because that's when the billion dollar hype machine started. In reality TES going a whole decade without a new release is incline as fuck.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Yes, that’s the point. Suits suck. They fucked up. What would you have put next?

A series reboot that tosses Oblivion and Skyrim out the window, then restarting by making the Tamriel Rebuilt mod an official expansion for Morrowind, making The Elder Scrolls IV: Cyrodiil, and the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as games based on the Morrowind-era lore and no-handholding gameplay.

Desiderius

Patron
It’s been a mix. No reason they can’t get off the mat now that they have a better handle on the demographics of their playerbase(s) and make a true Daggerfall successor. Would have been easier if they hadn’t wasted 11 years.

MMOs have subscriptions (or the equivalent) but grognards have kickstarters.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A series reboot that tosses Oblivion and Skyrim out the window, then restarting by making the Tamriel Rebuilt mod an official expansion for Morrowind, making The Elder Scrolls IV: Cyrodiil, and the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim as games based on the Morrowind-era lore and no-handholding gameplay.

A series reboot going for a 2D TB party-based RPG with deep mechanics, well designed quest and an open world in the Fallout/Prelude to Darkness/Dark Sun fashion.

Or at least an alternative franchise doing so, it'd be smart money to back a small team going for this since old school party-based and TB RPG are successful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom