Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What should have been in the blank?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Nah, that's not the series for it.

There's a place for both 2D TB party based, and 3D first person action RPGs.

But Bethesda also owns Fallout, so... :M

Well, i would rather have them trying to do it right or fuck it up with a franchise i don't care about first.
Then, if they have the talent and the skills, get back Fallout to its former glory.

eli

Learned
4a3fb014448f252dc3e8938fc3420d0e5ce61b8bffb82336493c151fec7336be_1.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

So it's gonna be incline,
Or it's gonna go down as lame,
Tell me when it's over,
If RPGs will ever be the same,
Got a lot of star-crossed Codexers that'll tell you I'm insane,
Cause you know I love pissing on the grognards
And you love the game

Cause we're Bethesda and we're on top of the business,
We'll take this decline way too far,
It'll leave you feeling fucked senseless,
While I drive my brand new car,
Got a long list of angry munchkins that'll tell you I'm to blame,
But I got a blank space, baby
Todd Howard's my name

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
A new Adventures game, at least. Just think, if BGS had tapped the viking and kangz zeitgeists.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
That can be good, as old timers get comfortable and hang around longer than they should. Complacency hasn't helped BGS.

jungl

Augur
oblivion was a better game then skyrim without mods involved. Rpgs has always been Bethesdas weakest games. There should be a law passed where popular IP video game franchise that been around over a decade any development studio can make games for kind of like how warhammer games. Im sick of these big companies holding on to IPS and churning out a triple A smelly turd once every few years.

There should have been an Arkane Studios developed Elder Scrolls game by this point. Outside of some weird ego shit it makes not sense that Betheads hasn't had them make one Elder Scrolls themed game given their past.

Bethesda should've got into the FromSoftware game at some point post 2011 and Dark Souls becoming this cult thing that just kept getting bigger. A Dark Souls branded Elder Scrolls game could've been big, and it'd only bring them goodwill.

Fallout Shelters really feels like it should've given way to some better thought out PC/Console version of it that's basically just SimTower meets XCOM.

With XCOM Enemy Unknown getting big in 2012 it's kind of weird nobody at Betheada seemed to say: Hey, we could do that exact game with Fallout and the Brotherhood of Steel. It's also weird because they have to know there's an audience that wants a turned based Fallout, and that they might eat that game up.

I'll never not find it weird they brought Avalanche Studios in to make a post apocalyptic FPS after Mad Max and the post apocalyptic license they went with was Rage instead of Fallout. Like I enjoyed that first Rage game, but if you own both Rage and Fallout, you brand it fucking Fallout. They could have marketed the fucking shit out of having a Fallout that lets you drive around cars, airships, Vertibirds, and all kinds of other stuff while also letting you fuck around with crafting your own Power Armor. A openworld sandbox "GTA style" Fallout from team behind Mad Max and the Just Cause series (I'd say with some lite RPG mechanics, but they were already that in 4) would have been the easiest sell in the world, as opposed to Rage 2, which just kind of seemed to confuse everyone.

It's odd Bethesda Game Studios hasn't tried making some little survival themed Elder Scrolls or Fallout game by this point. They know there's an audience that likes building shit in their games, and they've got to know there's an audience that likes the Hardcore mode from the now ten year old Fallout New Vegas, and they've also got to know there's a whole genre of this style of game people like. Seems like it could be a pretty easy thing to throw together, and probably could be done on the cheap. Something like your prison boat shipwrecked on some island, you're the only survivor, and now you've got to survive and find a way off...and something mysterious is happening on the island. Hell, make it an archipelago so you've got a few islands to visit. Seems like the kind of thing they could do on the cheap, while giving their audience something they want, and use it to test out stuff for their bigger games maybe. Given the lack of human NPCs at the launch of 76 I'm almost surprised that wasn't a multiplayer survival game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The blank space is the natural progression of the series, considering how they removed more and more features with every new game in the series.

And how the maps got smaller and smaller

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I am realizing that blank spaces are actually good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom