Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry What switches do you need to enable for PSX version of Wizardry: Llylgamyn Saga?

JaredKFan

Barely Literate
Hi all.

I know the PSX japanese version of the game has a set of switches in the options menu to make the game pretty much 99 percent English? But which options do you enable? The options menu is in Japanese of course and I can't read the language. There was a thread at snesorama which helped with that, but the website thread (and the site itself) have been down for a while. So if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Jared

Deleted Member 16721

Hey Jared! Nice to see you here. :)

I think the first 3 settings in the Settings menu need to be switched. There should be 2 settings that have 2 options (turn those to the right), and then the 3rd setting has 3 options, turn that one to match the symbol of the first 2 settings. Make sense? All 3 should have the same symbol, then, and that is the English switch in that game.

If you need any more help, let me know. Hope this helps you!

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Set it up like this (red rects) to enable English language.
Option to turn on the classic view is marked with the green rect.
Enjoy.

QWm5nZs.png

Hey Jared! Nice to see you here. :)

I think the first 3 settings in the Settings menu need to be switched. There should be 2 settings that have 2 options (turn those to the right), and then the 3rd setting has 3 options, turn that one to match the symbol of the first 2 settings. Make sense? All 3 should have the same symbol, then, and that is the English switch in that game.

If you need any more help, let me know. Hope this helps you!
Oh hai, me trying to be helpful without being helpful, hope dis helpz u!

Deleted Member 16721

Thanks for the screenshot, swinezig! That is exactly the way to do it.

Enjoy, Jared! :)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
good job swinezig i was just about to google that image too for fluent.

one thing you should keep in mind fluent: if you're planning on playing wiz 1-5 on the psx (which i recommend doing so; additionally to doing the same on the snes as well) wiz 1-3 on psx was made by soliton studios (defunct) and wiz 4-5 was made by success studios who went on to make The Dark Spire for the nintendo DS.

needless to say although overall the entire 5 games are of course, very much high quality, the disc from success (wiz 4-5) just has a higher level of Wizardry-ness and polish. they're all still 1:1 recreations of the games in any case, and btw, be sure to turn off the Auto Map it's the first option right after the language settings.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
since in the picture he marked classic view for you the remaining options are: after the language settings is the auto map on/off, then below that is whether to use original enemy 8-bit sprites, and below that is wire-frame mode. every from BGM downwards is music related AFAIK. i never touched those options.

H-K

Learned
BK8cBtC.jpg

1. Message - Jap(1) Jap(2) English
2. Monster name - Jap English
3. Item name - Jap English
4. Spell Name - Jap English
5. Monster Display - Classic Playstation
6. Dungeon - Wireframe Polygon
7. Sound - Stereo Mono
8. BGM - ON OFF
9. Sound Effects - ON OFF
10. Combat Effects - ON OFF
11. Automap - ON OFF
12. Controller Settings
13. Exit

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the order changes slightly between the two discs (the first disc containing wiz 1-3 and the second disc containing wiz 4-5) but just memorize the hiragana/katakana from the photo; THAT doesn't change.

thanks for translating that h-k.

the double vertical square hiragana followed by the christmas snow-flake kanji (or are both kanji) literally mean nippon or something like that?

i see both constantly when hex editing; they pop up everywhere especially the christmas snow-flake (the character right after the vertical double-square)

and interesting that they don't have any phonetical spellings at all for english, just kanji. or once again, IS it kanji? i still can't tell the difference sometimes. no, i think the english language settings are hiragana aren't they? the square man with outspread arms squatting on top of a bush symbol seems like hiragana :D

the fifth option is completely in katakana isn't it, and it's literally the phonetical spelling for monster?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
excuse me, for playstation i mean. they have to use katakana for words like playstation don't they? it's impossible to write that otherwise without using latin right?

Exbelion

Educated
So, is Dimguil as hard as Elminage Gothic, or its easier? I also read some reviews that this game is too short for a dungeon crawler and takes at least 30 to 40 hours

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I never finished Dimguil since it is extremely text-heavy and puzzle heavy and I got bored quickly having to juggle FAQs / translation guides / playing the game.

It plays very differently to Elminage series and plays less like Wizardry than Elminage series does; though they're both still "traditional Wizardry". Honestly the person to ask would be Dorarnae as I think he did finish it.

TL;DR: I didn't really enjoy the slow paced gameplay of Dimguil. The blame for that falls on it being part of the first wave of PS1 Wizardry games when they still thought slow ass animated effects were something good.

Exbelion

Educated
I never finished Dimguil since it is extremely text-heavy and puzzle heavy and I got bored quickly having to juggle FAQs / translation guides / playing the game.

It plays very differently to Elminage series and plays less like Wizardry than Elminage series does; though they're both still "traditional Wizardry". Honestly the person to ask would be Dorarnae as I think he did finish it.

TL;DR: I didn't really enjoy the slow paced gameplay of Dimguil. The blame for that falls on it being part of the first wave of PS1 Wizardry games when they still thought slow ass animated effects were something good.
What truly caught my attention is the awesome monster design, specially from the postgame dungeon.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

What truly caught my attention is the awesome monster design, specially from the postgame dungeon.

the game isn't very long if you do only the main game. the game isn't hard as elminage gothic I'd say, but there are some monster/boss that are dangerous(fucking gas cloud in the beginning...).
if you do the post game dungeon, expect some grinding because the monster in there are crazy.
the game doesn't have a massive list of items but I found the loot interesting. I think I spent like 2-3 days farming on one floor near the end of the game and got only 1 MURAMASA. lol.

Exbelion

Educated

the game isn't very long if you do only the main game. the game isn't hard as elminage gothic I'd say, but there are some monster/boss that are dangerous(fucking gas cloud in the beginning...).
if you do the post game dungeon, expect some grinding because the monster in there are crazy.
the game doesn't have a massive list of items but I found the loot interesting. I think I spent like 2-3 days farming on one floor near the end of the game and got only 1 MURAMASA. lol.
Thank you so much dood, I will try this game soon :)

At least you can translate most of the game in english. By the way, is there a website where I can see or download monster sprites from the game or see game tips?

Because honestly Im in love with the monster designs from post game :3

Dorarnae

Arbiter

Thank you so much dood, I will try this game soon :)

At least you can translate most of the game in english. By the way, is there a website where I can see or download monster sprites from the game or see game tips?

Because honestly Im in love with the monster designs from post game :3

I dunno. I watched some video of this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztXQxX5Kn80
to know what to do a bit. the hardest part is finding what some symbol is associate with which letter (at least the first few letters), then you can pretty much guess the missing letters...

mushaden

Scholar
Anybody have the Windows version of this so I can use the patch to have it 100% translated? Can't find it anywhere

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
windows version is terrible and has several game-crashing bugs that were never fixed. enjoy having your game crash and ur save become corrupted every half hour if you do find it.

I'd give you the link but I had the ISO stored on firedrop and they went out of business. Seriously though, there is zero reason to ever play the windows version. It's awful. Play the much superior PSX versions.

EDIT: Also that eng-patch for win version of New Age was never 100%'ed.

mushaden

Scholar
Ah thanks, I just assumed it was only the music/sound that was a problem.

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but is the PSX version better than the SNES? I'm not going to draw my own maps, but I understand that the automap in the PSX version does ruin the game a bit. I was thinking that the map spell in the SNES version would be a good compromise for me. Is the balancing the same in the SNES and PSX? Is there anything else worth noting?

Twizman

Scholar
One of the greatest games I've played. Enjoy :D
From memory I think there are some balance differences between the versions.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Ah thanks, I just assumed it was only the music/sound that was a problem.

I know this has been discussed multiple times, but is the PSX version better than the SNES? I'm not going to draw my own maps, but I understand that the automap in the PSX version does ruin the game a bit. I was thinking that the map spell in the SNES version would be a good compromise for me. Is the balancing the same in the SNES and PSX? Is there anything else worth noting?

1. can turn off auto-map in the field options menu in psx, though the option text itself is in japanese (not considered part of the game script by the game's english switches). you can easily figure it though from trial-and-error, there are only a few options in the field menu: change graphics from polygonal to Wireframe, change enemy art from the PS1 art to the original "8-bit" art, turn the auto-map on/off, and something else i don't remember.

2. i also consider the map spell in the snes version a fine compromise.

3. balancing is mostly the same, though i did find the snes versions a tiny bit "easier" but it this is just off raw anecdotal feeling. i don't have any data to provide about it. neither versions are bad though, you will get raped same as in original versions. I believe snes version has slightly higher chance for stats NOT to drop, which is why it's considered "easier". Enemy stuff is the same as in originals.

the gorgeous 2d art of the snes 1-3, better OST and the great automap compromise might cinch it for you in regards to those, but wiz 5 is better on ps1 flat-out.

4. Between Wiz 1-3 it's completely up to personal preference as to whether snes or psx is better, with the snes having the beautiful 2d sprite artwork and the superior OSTs (though again, personal preference); wiz 4 is only on ps1 so no choice there, and Wiz 5 is objectively better on PSX as the snes version of wiz 5 has a truncated game script that renders most of the game incomprehensible unless you're using a guide. snes wiz 5 also doesn't have the same gorgeous 2d sprite art, so it loses that edge as well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom