Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What the fuck are you playing right now?

Shannow

Waster of Time
OgreOgre said:
vazquez595654 said:
They kind of dropped the ball on the storytelling at this point. It's like they are trying to force me to explore the world. I don't want to. I am a focused Vault Dweller trying to help his village as quickly as possible.
Then go straight to NCR. All prior towns are pretty much filler content. Fallout 2 is a terribly inconsistent game.
Don't listen to the ogre. If sidequests are not for you, then FO2 is not for you. Watch this instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDRsqz3iyks

Rhalle

Magister
Mount and Blade.

I know the retail has been out for going on a year now, but I just got into it.

It's far,far from perfect-- but holy crap is it fun.

Texas Red

Whiner
Not really. I just feel like sometimes the game uses the never ending quest mechanic to make the game artificially longer. I just felt screwed with the citizenship thing, because she promised it, and now suddenly she takes it back. It may come across as feasible since humans do change their minds, but in a game it comes across as a cheap way to make the game longer.

That's the point. If you'd listen to her you would know that she's a nazi prick and would never allow an outsider to become citizen. You also have the test that is impossible to pass unless you're extremely intelligent *and* very lucky. The town doesn't want outside filth and that's it. You were naive to think that she would allow you access since she simply doesn't have to do it. You complete the mission and now you're useless and dangerous to her. If you talk to some other NPCs you will notice that your character comes to this conclusion.

Also, what you find in the vault in Vault City is pretty insignificant. It won't change the story at all. You will still have to go to other cities and ask around for the GECK and Vault 13. And finally, what's wrong with taking a peek at a walktrhough and getting back on the right path?

Black

Arcane
Still Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars. Gotta get legendary skill hunter or w/e it's called.

Multi-headed Cow

1701 AD since it was the weekend Steam deal. Having a pretty good time with it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Black said:
Still Team Fortress 2 and Guild Wars. Gotta get legendary skill hunter or w/e it's called.

Legendary skill hunter is piss easy. Go for legendary vanquisher and cartographer :cool:

From Fallout Bible 8, supposed quickest way

* The fact that you never found out where Ed got the Vault 13 flasks is something I've been
wondering about, and then I mean in a game design sense as opposed to a game world sense. The
whole "Vic thread" starts in Arroyo, but in Vault City it just dies, although you do get a lot of other
towns on your world map in the process so that you can continue exploring. Was there never an
intention of having one uninterrupted thread of clues and connections leading through the entire
game for those who wanted to follow it?
Basically, the gist of clues was:
- Water Flask from Vic in Klamath.
- Go to Klamath, find out Vic is in Den.
- Go to Den, rescue Vic, discover he got flask from Ed.
- Go to Vault City, find Ed, find what you think is the
Vault. From there, you realize:
a. Maybe it's V13.
b. Realize it's not V13, but it might have clues to V13.
- Go to Gecko in order to get into VC Vault.
- Go back to Vault City. Get into computer room.
- The computer room identifies V15.
- Go to V15. This puts the player so close to NCR that
chances are, they will explore NCR, too.
- From NCR + V15, there's a bunch of ways to find V13.
I guess it may not seem obvious, but yeah, there was a plan. Also, you're right, you're not forced to do this.
You can choose never to bring the GECK back to Arroyo for the whole game, and that was intentional - it's
not very Fallout to force the player to do things in a certain order. Torment was just a different experience,
and it was much more story-exploration-focused than world-exploration-focused.

More Lynette shenanigans (FO Bible 6)

FALLOUT 2 "SECRET" - CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD
Ever wanted to be Captain of the Guard in Vault City? Well, it's simpler than it sounds. Ideally, Lynette is set up so that if you kiss her butt completely, your ability to give her ass a swirl is rewarded by making you Captain of the Guard.

If you're willing to buckle up and walk the dialogue minefield, you'll need the following things:
• Speech >= 75% AND a CHR > 7.
• Be able to speak to Lynette, the First Citizen of Vault City, without killing her. No small task.
• Choose every response that addresses her as "First Citizen," including "Bye" responses.
• Stop the raiders, show Lynette the account book you got from the raiders AND Bishop's holodisk detailing his affairs with NCR (located in Bishop's personal safe in New Reno), and then deliver the disk to Westin in NCR.
• When you get back, mission accomplished, if her respect for you is high enough, she awards you Captain of the Guard status.
• You will notice most of the Vault City citizen dialogues will change, especially Sergeant Stark, who will be none too pleased with your promotion. Take Cassidy with you to Stark for more hi-jinks and a little more XP if you confront Stark on busting up Cassidy's bar.
The best way to insure Lynette's respect counter for you is high enough is to find a loop in the dialogue where you can continually address her as First Citizen - after becoming a Citizen, the best way to do it is to keep asking her about Vault 13 (if you haven't found it), choosing the response of: "First Citizen, it’s very important to me that I find the location of my ancestor’s Vault. If I may check the archives, I would be grateful." Loop it ten to fifteen times to be sure (you need at least a level 10 - I do it fifteen times to be sure), then just be sure not to anger her after that.
One final word, if you want to become Captain of the Guard, do NOT keep stopping by to talk to her if you are not a Citizen. This... irritates Lynette. Every instance of this should lower her respect for you by 1.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Topic

Trine, and it is great. I may actually buy it and all that. The last level is a nightmare, though. I have not been so frustrated with a game since i stoped playing japanese indies altogether.

That thing is evil. :cry:

WholesaleGenocide

Liturgist
Black Cat said:
@ Topic

Trine, and it is great. I may actually buy it and all that. The last level is a nightmare, though. I have not been so frustrated with a game since i stoped playing japanese indies altogether.

That thing is evil. :cry:

Japanese indies? Example(s) please.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Andyman Messiah said:
Final Fantasy 7.

Wait, you're still playing that shitstain? It's not THAT long. I figured you had finished and were too busy to edit pics into a coherent narrative and write updates.

On Topic: Wolfenstein 3D actually. The Wolfenstein thread got me feeling nostallgic so I loaded up RtCW and had fun with that, which in turn prompted me to pick up Wolf3D on Steam. Doom is a much more timeless game, but all things considered Wolf3D is still a VERY fun game.

Black Cat

Magister
@ WholesaleGenocide

Examples? Let me see...

Crescent Pale Mist is pretty cool. It can be described as a Touhou+Castlevania, or something. It is pretty hard, the levels are huge and very confusing, and if you do not play in easy mode the game is going to eat either your life or your pride. The bosses are kind of similar to acceleration of Patchouli, too, with the characters flying around and lot of spells and bullets flying everywhere.

Some random videos i found in youtube, since there is not enough knowledge of those games in the west as to have more than that.

First Boss with some random music playing on the background.

Video from some random youtube LP, the guy gets lost on Stage 2 and gives up.

And this is some random guy rushing to the Stage 2 boss on easy mode and sucking at it.

That last one actually made me feel good about my skills. He is made of awful and suck.

Another one would be Bloodover, a very simple but cool game that can get really insane and unfair. It uses a ranking system where the better you play the harder it gets, and the last level is only reachable if you have a high rank when you defeat the boss at the end of Stage 5... Or something like that. Last time i tried Stage 5 destroyed me without pity, so there is no Stage 6 for me yet.

This is a pretty good run of Stage 5.

It is divided in three videos, the links to the other two are in the info. If you can, watch the third one, the boss battle. Pretty cool stuff if you are into infuriating games. He had the Rank almost at the top, and it shows.

And yes, the maid carries a hidden minigun that she uses in the special attacks. Bloodover is just amazing like that.

And you also have Fortune Summoners. It is like a party-based plataformer with puzzles and JRPG-lite elements and adventure, like, thingies. Pretty cool game if you can cross beyond the language barrier, but they talk a whole lot and, like, without understanding what the hell all the little anime people is saying you can only wander around aimlessly and get bored, except by following a guide that tells you where to go and what to do but not how to solve the levels nor kill the bosses.

Three little girls and a fairy kick some dragon ass.

Some random trailer on youtube.

Two little girls explore some ruins, kill a bat and some slimes, and solve a quest after talking in... i believe is Old Atlantean or, like, True Enochian, or something like that.

The problem is that everyone i know who played Fortune Summoners being able to read japanese say is, like, the coolest thing ever. I hate them so much. I can only read, like, three kanji or something.

And i will add ES Trial just because it is made of amazing and i can't wait for the full version to reach westlandia, but in the two-stage demo going around only the second boss on hard mode is actually dificult.

Trial Stage 2 in Hard Mode.

Trial Stage 1 in Hard Mode.

The game is pretty fast and fluid, and you can actually chain all kind of diferent attacks in combos. If you have good reflexes and coordination you can pull some combo moves and evasions that will make everyone near the PC stop and gasp. It was a fun game to show around and that, everyone wanted to have a go.

I'll stop there for now. I'll post more later if you are interested or something.

Zak

Educated
Man, trying to play some Fallout Online, but after shovelling enough fucking brahmin shit to make level two and having earned the 1300 odd caps I needed to finally buy a gun and some leather, some random wanker decides to attack me as I walk in the store - right in front of a guard that burst fires and kills us both.

Then someone else took all my caps.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
ScottishMartialArts said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Final Fantasy 7.

Wait, you're still playing that shitstain? It's not THAT long. I figured you had finished and were too busy to edit pics into a coherent narrative and write updates.
It's a really short game if you know what to do, but I figured people would want to read the stuff instead of skip it like you really should do but don't since, y'know, on account of speedreading and the fact that the plot is about as complicated as a loaf of bread (no matter what some people would say). If I'd skipped all that and just breezed through the game with minor notes here and there just to keep the reader up to speed, I would have been done a long time ago and that's the honest truth.

But enough defending my lazy ass, I'm actually replaying Metal Gear Solid 3. Now that's a good game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Andyman Messiah said:
But enough defending my lazy ass, I'm actually replaying Metal Gear Solid 3. Now that's a good game.

It is ? So, it's better than the crappy mess MGS2 was ? I have borrowed a PS2 from a friend, or should I say "acquired" ? I have it for more than a year (the sucker bought a PS3). MGS3 is one of the games that came with it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
ghostdog said:
Andyman Messiah said:

It is ? So, it's better than the crappy mess MGS2 was ? I have borrowed a PS2 from a friend, or should I say "acquired" ? I have it for more than a year (the sucker bought a PS3). MGS3 is one of the games that came with it.
Oh god yes it's better. Heck, none of the other Metal Gears can compare to the absolute joy that is Snake Eater. I'm absolutely serious. There is so much to like about the game that I wish it was the ONLY game in the series. Everything, the characters, the gameplay, the different scenery... It's just so goddamn fun to play around with, and even the the usual loooooong ass cutscenes are enjoyable. I highly recommend it. Definitely the best game on the PS2.

Mega Man 1 and 9 (I love these games, especially how Mega Man 1 rapes the player. It's hilarious, fucking grinning rape copters that persistently follow you, platforms you fall through because of some odd glitch late in the level so you die and re-start, stuff coming from everywhere trying to kill you. Mega Man is a spiritual experience.), Hearts of Iron 3 (I wish EU3 also used counters instead of sprites). I also have a ton of relly good classics to finish for the first time, however many of them require too much concentration for now.

ghostdog said:
Andyman Messiah said:

It is ? So, it's better than the crappy mess MGS2 was ?

Hahahaha, of course not, and don't get fooled by a fanboy with a blind spot. All MGS games are a fucking mess of Codex, Marvel Universe and what passes as "plot" in a country of 12-year-olds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom