Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime What to get for 3DS before they shut it down

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I just realized I didn't touch my 2DS XL for years and that the shop will be completely shutting down in a couple of months. So, what is the final form of 3DS library and what is worth getting before it crashes and burns?

I own four games at this point:

Etrian Odyssey IV - gut geym, probably liked it more than I-III tbf
Etrian Odyssey V - didn't really play it, lol
SMT Strange Journey Redux - gut geym
Fire Emblem Awakening - kinda meh, didn't finish

I think I read Hobo Elf saying EO Nexus is whatever. Any of the later Fire Emblem good? Devil Survivor 2 and 1 Overcucked good? What about the Bravely games? Anything else?

I beat Fire Emblem Fates Birthright (really liked the aesthetics), never finished my Conquest playthrough (I think I made it to the last mission), and bought but never touched Revelation. Sank a grand total of 137 hours into Fates, so I guess that's a thumbs up.

Pokemon Omega Ruby was the last decent Pokemon game (BW1 being the last actually good Pokemon game). I think the remakes are quite inferior to the original GBA game and you should play the originals first, but the remakes do allow you to play with 6 generations of Pokemon rather than just the first three, and the post-game gives you easy access to the vast majority of all Pokemon in the franchise, including legendaries and mythicals. Too bad there is no content to use those Pokemon for. I sank 135 hours into it so I guess that's a thumbs up. I'm extremely hesitant to recommend XY and SM as I think they are mediocre, but if you have beaten gens 3-5 and Colosseum and are still really desperate to play more Pokemon than maybe go for it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 was good but IIRC it's only available for the New 3DS.

lightbane

Arcane
I recommend the first (and only so far) Great Attorney game (with the fantranslation). The second game is still being translated. The "proper" Ace Attorney games are the weakest of the franchise after the 4th one though, the Great Attorney prequel is much better.

Luigi Mansion 1 and 2 are good too, although the first one only if you can't emulate the OG Gamecube version.
Soul Hackers is an okay entry for MegaTen fans, better than Devil Survivor 2 writing-wise, which is pure animu Evangelion-clone crap (just like Soul Hackers 2 funnily enough, which is also full anime with god-awful character designs).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't really care about writing et al in these games (obviously, lol) and stuff like "evangelion clone" doesn't really tell me much. I'm interested in gameplay, proper difficulty, combat, party building and so on. Not counting on itemization, since I've never seen a jap game where it's not utter crap.
  • Fire Emblem Echoes - Shadows Of Valentia

How's this one? I've only played Awakening and the Switch one and found both rather whatever. I think I also played the DS one once upon a time, but can't remember shit about it. I see that all 3DS entries are very polarizing among the fanbase. Then again, I've got a bad feeling that a lot of these opinions are based on stuff like waifus and in-game marriage options.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
All the Etrian Odyssey 3DS releases
SMT Soul Hackers Redux
SMT Strange Journey
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Apocalypse
Radiant Historia
Fantasy Life
Bravely Default
Ever Oasis

cocorulverde

Educated
Install custom firmware (it' pretty easy unless Nintendo won't release a final update just to fuck with cfw) and play whatever you want whenever you want.

spekkio

Arcane

How's this one? I've only played Awakening and the Switch one and found both rather whatever. I think I also played the DS one once upon a time, but can't remember shit about it. I see that all 3DS entries are very polarizing among the fanbase. Then again, I've got a bad feeling that a lot of these opinions are based on stuff like waifus and in-game marriage options.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...currently-playing.127624/page-67#post-7877498

ArtilleryHoney

If you pay for games and haven't hacked your 3ds yet you're a total chump. I'm not surprised steam fags are also buying full price nintendo games.

Emulation for 3DS has certainly gone a long way, but I feel like I'm in the minority that I really enjoyed the 3D effect the 3DS was banking on. The original model sucked ass because you had to be looking at the screen from just the right angle, but the 3DS XL added some face-tracking stuff to it that helped out a lot.

There were a few 3D-remasters that gave diarama overhauls that were really neat, like Kid Icarus and Shinobi III. I would ordinarily never replay Kid Icarus, but the novelty of adding 3D effects to it made it pretty fun.

Then again OP has a 2DS, so yeah, jailbreak it or emulate I guess.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
pokemon super mystery dungeon and "attack of the friday monsters! a tokyo tale" for some wholesome fun

chase: cold case, too

Last edited:

Pocgels

Scholar
I don't really care about writing et al in these games (obviously, lol) and stuff like "evangelion clone" doesn't really tell me much. I'm interested in gameplay, proper difficulty, combat, party building and so on. Not counting on itemization, since I've never seen a jap game where it's not utter crap.

Echoes is a step into the past - they didn't change the level design in the remake, so you get the original 1992 maps. This was mostly a time before "design" really existed, so there are maps that are just an open field with a clump of 8 horsemen that you have to fight on the other end of it. It's a beautiful game but I can't really recommend it unless you're a fire emblem fan. Conquest is the best of the new games if you have the ability to tolerate the parts where dialogue is on screen.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The only game I know that is online shop only and is also good is the "of Mice and Sand" game. Think Faster Than Light, but instead of space you're driving a Sandcrawler which Jawas use in Star Wars through a desert and instead of aliens you breed mice to man your posts. It's very good especially for the low price.

Every other good title that is available for the 3DS is also available as a physical copy and I would recommend getting it in that form instead. You could make the argument that buying the digital version now is going to be less expensive, since the physical copies have long gone up in price due to rarity and investment opportunity. But the argument also works in reverse, as the physical copies are likely to value should you ever feel like selling them off in the future.

AFAIK DLC becomes unavailable for purchase after the shop closes, so I would get any/all of it now for the titles you're interested in.

Good titles I would recommend on the 3DS are:

Bravely Default
Fire Emblem Echoes
Fire Emblem Fates (Revelations is available as DLC only)
Hyrule Warriors // Fire Emblem Warriors (I would only get more than one of these if you're really into the genre, otherwise just get the one with your preferred setting)
Zelda
Final Fantasy Theathrythm (excellent rhythm game, especially if you like the Final Fantasy OST. Some tracks are locked behind DLC)
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby (imo all the other modern pokemons on the 3DS are significantly worse than these remakes)
Ever Oasis
Radiant Historia
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Etrian Odyssey // Persona Q Labyrinth (These are all very similar and I would only get more than one if you're a big fan of the genre)
Dragonball Fusions

IMO Xenoblade Chronicles looks bad on the 3DS and there is a dedicated remake out for the Switch already, so I wouldn't bother with it.

I would also get any themes you might like for the UI now. There are some pretty cool ones like the pokemon/etrian odyssey ones.

Ereshkigal

Educated
I just realized I didn't touch my 2DS XL for years and that the shop will be completely shutting down in a couple of months. So, what is the final form of 3DS library and what is worth getting before it crashes and burns?
You're losing those games forever as soon as your console goes poof, which it will because they don't make them like they used to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom