Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was the general reaction to PS:T when it was released?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I heard the PS:T novelization was even worse.
I downloaded the PDF from somewhere and read it. Yes, it's bad. It's not just bad but it is so unfaithful to the story of the game and the characters that you wonder why they bothered.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"One scene in particular, while walking through the spider forest, a spider(surprise!) lands in Jaheira's bosom and in a manly act of heroics, Abdel (the Bhaalspawn), rips off her bodice and proceeds to lust after her tits, forgetting the spider, and forgetting that her husband is 10 feet away and that Xan was melted by an ochre jelly 5 minutes ago...."

LOL That makes me *almost* want to read the novel. HAHAHA!

made

Arcane
flabbyjack said:
Here's something you didn't know -- The guy on the boxart is Guido Henkel, the REAL lead producer before Ken Lee got bumped up right before release. He underwent hours of makeup for that shot.

EDIT: Nevermind. I googled a bit and found an interesting interview with Henkel, detailing his career. I had no idea he was involved in making PS:T, or anything else apart from DSA, for that matter.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Which novelization are we talking about. The one that gave The Nameless One a name or the one that was essentially the game's dialog wrapped in a narration?

Cycloptis said:
Which novelization are we talking about. The one that gave The Nameless One a name or the one that was essentially the game's dialog wrapped in a narration?

Did it call him Adahn or Yemeth (I THINK it was Yemeth, the old sorcerererererer incarnation)?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I don't know, I've read a few AD&D books (what a waste of time), and I think the book around which PS:T was based (or vice versa, I don't know) was quite good, which is of course not saying much.
I think Troy Denning's "Pages of Pain" may be a passable work of literature... in Poland it was ruined by horrible translation, but some ideas were interesting.
And don't read the Blood War trilogy.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Seeing as Elwro is coming out of the D&D novel-reading hole, I guess I'll confess that I own nearly every RA Salvatore book.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
Cycloptis said:
Did it call him Adahn or Yemeth?

Floyd.

Also about the forums -- the devs spent wayyy too much time on the forums than they shoulda.

Gambler

Augur
Naked_Lunch said:
Seeing as Elwro is coming out of the D&D novel-reading hole, I guess I'll confess that I own nearly every RA Salvatore book.
It's not too late to burn them.

made

Arcane
I admit I liked the Drizzt saga, mainly because it was (is?) the only one portraying the Underdark and the darkelf culture, which I found quite fascinating at that time. I should say, though, that I was about 15 when I read the books, and by the time I was done I came to utterly despise Drizzt as a character. Still, the darkelves themselves and their schemes were rather entertaining.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
I have not read anything from the Icewind Dale trilogy, but is Drizzt Do Urden just as gay has he is in the Baldur's Gate apearences?

"Allright [charname] I understand you are a creature of good, has am I, so I will forgive you for allmost killing back in Baldur's Gate and robbing me of my belonings and also I will help against the creature of foul evil (Bhodi) that you are after, even if it means risking my neck. Because - BECAUSE! - because I am a good character"

Limorkil

Liturgist
I read the Drizzt books when I was 36. I thought they were quite readable really, certainly when the action was focused on the Drow and the Underdark. The later Drizzt books have too many other characters in them, and they tend to be more stereotypical and shallow. I tried reading some other stuff by Salvatore and it was shite, particularly that boring shit about a priest who is simply fucking awesome at everything. He seems to change the main character but keep the other characters and the plot the same.

Where Drizzt falls down is when he gets a bit too goody goody and hangs out with the standard issue barbarian, dwarf and plucky girl who is really gutsy and awesome at fighting yet still gets into perilous situations and has to be rescued. I liked his nemesis, Artemis (I think) the assassin, but he started escaping death and living to fight another day at bit too often for my liking. I like arch-villains but when you know they are definately not going to be permanetly killed, like the psycho genius in most horror series, it just gets a bit tedious.

When PS:T came out I think it confused reviewers and the general public. It got decent reviews, but the overall conclusion went along the lines of "Like Baldur's Gate, but weirder and with more talking and less action." I think that was enough to put most people off it. I never read a review that gave me any indication of whether I would like it or not. Overall, it was a total non-event.

Gwendo

Augur
I've read Drizzt's trilogy (Homeland, Exile, SOujourn) and liked. Bought the Icewind Dale... Boooring, predictable, shallow and too stereotypical. It's being a pain in the ass to finish reading it and move on.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
"Allright [charname] I understand you are a creature of good, has am I, so I will forgive you for allmost killing back in Baldur's Gate and robbing me of my belonings and also I will help against the creature of foul evil (Bhodi) that you are after, even if it means risking my neck. Because - BECAUSE! - because BECAUSE I'm the wonderful wizard of Oz!"
I haven't played the game, but I think that version would be better. Munchining would then be proper role-playing!

no

Novice
Actually, if you import your character from BG1 Drizzt actually remembers if you killed/pickpocketed him and bitches about it in BG2. That doesn't change the fact that he's lame though. Lame!
And I've never read any Salvatore!
Really!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Actually, if you import your character"

Importing your character is irrelevant to his reaction.

"If you killed him in BG1, then how can he bitch about it?"

If you played the game, you'd know.

When you encounter Drizzt in BG2; you have the option to proclaim:"I thought I killed you already!" He replies along the line of,"I'm not so easy to kill." or some such... and, the dialogue goes on from tehre so techniclaly you didn't kill him in BG1 according to BG2... just thought you did.

R00fles!

no

Novice
Ok, thanks for correcting. My heart aches for my lack of knowledge of the collective Hive Mind's favourite pure RPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, it is a silly cop out. Espicially since you are able to loot his ph@t lewt in BG1 (though you don't get to carry it rhough to BG2 anyways).

If you noticed, you get basically the same type of convo with various character from BG1 in BG2 even party member carry overs like Minsc and Jaheira when you first re(encounter) them..

Not the best way to have continuity for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom