Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was the last truly great AAA game?

The last truly great AAA game was...

• Total voters

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Now that we have established that pre-Elden Ring Soulsborne titles were infact a niche and were never AAA games and will NOT be making it on to the poll, lets explore other suggestions.
From are only "mainstream" on game forums, where people think the majority of the dozens of millions of people playing video games are like them. Talk to normies who play games. I bet most of them have never heard of their games or have only heard of the games. You can also ask them about "metroidvania" while you're at it and feel like a real insider nerd when you get similar results.
Tetris franchise outsold anything on the drunk's list and even your grandma knows it, doesn't mean its an AAA game, same with some match-3 mobile games
I was going to edit in that I agree with you that other games on his list can be judged by the same token though.

And sales aren't a metric for what makes something AAA, so no point brining that into it. Big games flop and humble games soar. Hollywood turkeys, indie sleeper hits. The biggest game ever is arguably not AAA. It certainly doesn't look the part, and I don't know how large or how much money Mojang spend. If Demon's Souls on PS3 sold 50 million copies it would still be janky (but charming) AA product.

I can't speak on Elden Ring, haven't played it. It kind of looks rougher than Bloodbonre (their slickest game) and Sekiro (carried by sublime art direction), but I don't know anything about its budget, team size, etc.
Demon's Souls and even the first Dark Souls were seen as smaller titles, definitely, but by the time DS2 came out the franchise was handled like an AAA product and marketed the same.

SumDrunkGuy

I added Half-Life: Alyx for the sake of being incloosive. Wouldn't want the PC nerds feeling left out. Also doubled the amount of votes you can make. I am a nice guy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

SumDrunkGuy

Sir Crispy would you kindly ban Grauk from the thread please. We're trying to have a peaceful discussion here and he's shitting up the thread with his asbergers syndrome bullshit.

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah. Dark Souls is not mainstream. It's just a joke that video game review sites call every other game a dark souls-like game. :roll:
Game review sites are part of the echo chamber, the fish bowl. Content is largely aimed at the insider nerd/enthusiast type, using terminology and references you would only know if you'd been around awhile or had gone deep into the hobby, which probably isn't most people on every block that own a PS/Xbox/etc.; they don't know what souls-like, boomer shooter, metroidvania or any other informal terms mean. I'd be surprised if the aggregate of unique users across all dedicated game sites account for even one third of a single major platform's install base number.

It's possible my criteria of mainstream could be too limited and impractical, but when you've grown up to see games get toylines at Toys R Us, cartoons, cereals, movies, Legos sets, numerous mentions on major broadcast news shows, ice cream bars, etc., that shapes your expectations.

Well either way, these games have made their mark despite all that; way less people have played any Ultima games, but we know how important that series is.

Demon's Souls and even the first Dark Souls were seen as smaller titles, definitely, but by the time DS2 came out the franchise was handled like an AAA product and marketed the same.
Which is interesting because that game felt and looked even rougher than the original, it was like the epitome of AA to me. Namco/Bandai level marketing for Koei Tecmo level production lol

SumDrunkGuy

Okay raised the votes to 6 because I also want to vote for Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege. Those were the last multiplayer games I ever loved.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well either way, these games have made their mark despite all that; way less people have played any Ultima games, but we know how important that series is.
Ultima in its day was the equivalent of today's AAA games

SumDrunkGuy

Can't say I like seeing Witcher 3 have more votes than Breath of the Wild. I'm adjusting my choices.

Alien Isolation would have gotten a vote from me if it was a few hours shorter. It had the perfect ending moment, but instead of rolling credits it just kept going. RE7, likewise, was fantastic throughout a decent portion of the game, but it kept going and going and became shittier as a result.

Last edited by a moderator:

Modron

Arcane
Only played 3 of these "greats." Twitcha 3, GTA V, and Nu Raider.

SumDrunkGuy

monster hunter is very sexy
Yeah World looks great and Rise looks good on a OLED Switch screen. It's unfortunate those games are terrible. :(

Added some more games to the poll btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumDrunkGuy

Let's bump up the votes for Control and Breath of the Wild and I will be more willing include your suggestions.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
There are too many choices and they're distracting. Delete everything but BotW and Odyssey. Arkham clones like ghost of sushiman don't deserve a spot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom