Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was the last truly great AAA game?

The last truly great AAA game was...

• Total voters

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Probably something like Tiberian Sun, or Unreal Tournament.

SumDrunkGuy

What about vanilla X2? I've been eyeing it for a while now, but the consensus here is unclear. I did enjoy the Enemy Unknown enough to finish it once and play a little Long War.
Base XCOM 2 has the best "prepare for battle" theme of all the nu XCOMs. I was legitimately pissed off that they replaced it with a new one for War of the Chosen. But I loved base XCOM 2 more than Enemy Unknown, and WotC just made it better overall (only the new soundtracks were forgettable).

Oh and WotC expanded a tiny bit on the legend that is Jane Kelly, arguably the most memorable random tutorial character ever. I never built a squad without her leading it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumDrunkGuy

Titanfall 2, because it's the last one that did more than what was expected of it. Nobody expected it to have the level ideas it had. I'll always respect that more than something like elden ring, which is more of what you've seen before, but less interesting.
Stop trying to sound prestigious by constantly admitting you love shitty Xbox garbage
He's not wrong. Everybody expected that campaign to be a lazy tacked on piece of shit. It turned out to be pretty fuckin badass.

And the same can be said for Doom 2016. I know Doom purists here like to shit on it but I can't take morbidly obese diabetics seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silva

Arcane
What about vanilla X2? I've been eyeing it for a while now, but the consensus here is unclear. I did enjoy the Enemy Unknown enough to finish it once and play a little Long War.
Base XCOM 2 has the best "prepare for battle" theme of all the nu XCOMs. I was legitimately pissed off that they replaced it with a new one for War of the Chosen. But I loved base XCOM 2 more than Enemy Unknown, and WotC just made it better overall (only the new soundtracks were forgettable).

Oh and WotC expanded a tiny bit on the legend that is Jane Kelly, arguably the most memorable random tutorial character ever. I never built a squad without her leading it.
The faction leaders are also surprisingly charismatic. I genuinely cared for that mutant hybrid grunt and that Dragunov chick til the very end.

Self-Ejected

HereticGuy

Self-Ejected
And the same can be said for Doom 2016. I know Doom purists here like to shit on it
I am one of those Doom purists, but I don't feel like to shit on Doom 2016. It is an allright game but I don't think people will remember it 20 years later as they remember the original. Doom is a superior game and I am not saying it with nostalgia tinted googles; I still play custom Doom 2 maps via LZDoom regularly.
Doom has better map structure, better art style and better atmosphere. DooM reboot has "plastic" feeling on it's art style; don't know how to explain it. And I much prefer Bobby Prince's Metallica / Slayer / Anthrax ripoff heavy metal soundtracks to Doom 2016's whatever the edgy music genre it is.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It Takes Two is objectively the best AAA game released in the last 2 years.

I would also add As Dusk Falls, but not sure it's AAA. Still wanna mention it as the best iteration of Telltale/Until Dawn formula to date.
Don't you need another friend to play it though? Where would I hope to find such a thing?

Terenty

Liturgist

I would also add As Dusk Falls, but not sure it's AAA. Still wanna mention it as the best iteration of Telltale/Until Dawn formula to date.
Don't you need another friend to play it though? Where would I hope to find such a thing?
Well, if it makes it any easier only one person gotta have the game, the other one can play with a friend's pass. So basically you can invite any of your friends from steam

lycanwarrior

Scholar

ITT is only published by EA.

However it was developed by small indie company under the EA Originals program. EA doesn't even receive any profit from that program from my understanding. The program is basically for PR purposes.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
How did Metro Exodus even get listed on the list of nominees? The first hour of that game is virtually unplayable it's so bad. I heard it does get better once you get over that hidious, unsightly hump though. Or so I heard...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The only possible non-meme answer is MGSV.

I liked Prey quite a lot, but great? No. It's very good, but doesn't attain greatness. The same goes for Alien: Isolation.

To address the elephant in the room, all NuSouls shite is shite. The "open-world" bandwagoning is just a cover for the fact that From is no longer capable of good level design (among other issues), which was once their greatest single strength.

Anyone who unironically voted for any game other than three I've just mentioned is beyond hope of redemption and should be humanely euthanized.

Modron

Arcane
How did Metro Exodus even get listed on the list of nominees? The first hour of that game is virtually unplayable it's so bad. I heard it does get better once you get over that hidious, unsightly hump though. Or so I heard...
Did you not notice this was a SumDrunkGuy thread? Didn't exactly have the greatest taste in games and was exclusively a console gamer. Going to visit Jason_Liang poll threads next?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would say IMO the most recent, truly great AAA game is DMC5
Spectacle Fighters only need to succeed in 2 things - combat mechanics and enemy design
DMC5 is excellent at both

The only possible non-meme answer is MGSV.
You'll have to explain your standards
Because if by great you mean - the game is very good across all it's design elements and easily achieves it's intended experience
Then MGSV falls short

The gameplay is indeed great (even if too easy whithout mods), but the level design is mediocre and you can count with your fingers the number of missions that are truly good

Comparatively Elden Ring, is a game whose quality is consistently good
It's gameplay is an improved and expanded version of DS3 and in regards to level design, it's difficult to call it bad when the Legacy Dungeons (and similarly designed areas) are excellent
Yet you think the game sucks...

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yet you think the game sucks...

Not exactly, no. I'll explain:

Let's say you eat at a restaurant and find your meal scrumdiddlyumptious, then return a few years later only to find that the food is merely very good. The spices aren't right, the ingredients aren't quite as fresh, the sauces seem a bit off; something is missing. Perhaps if you'd never been the first time, you wouldn't be so disappointed.

That is modern FromSoftware games in a nutshell. The top-tier level design and environmental challenge are either nowhere to be found, or else attenuated to a pale imitation, while their bread-and-butter action mechanics are getting stale and suffering from design by committee as they skew them toward what "players want" (players are terrible at knowing what they want).

I have yet to play Elden Ring, and I'm very sure it's leagues beyond literally 100% of American action-with-elements titles, but I've also played some of From's games past DS2 and I'm wise to how they design their games now.

As for MGSV, if not for Konami's meddling, it would have achieved true greatness. As it is, sure, it's only very good, technically... except that it's one of a rare and worthy breed (or subgenre, if you will), and arguably among the very best of that breed. For these two reasons, I bestow upon it the title of "great."

mkultra

Augur
Elden Ring. Probably the best game i've played in some 22-23'ish years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom