Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What was with the Realms of Arkania remake?

deuxhero

Arcane
I remember hearing this was shit, but can't remember why. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Mustawd

I remember hearing this was shit, but can't remember why. Can anyone refresh my memory?

IIRC it was:

1. Derpy and inconsistent graphics and animations throughout the game.
2. Technical issues like characters falling through the map and generally buggy at release.
3. Issues with translation.
4. Arguable design decisions.

Like this:

and:

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9224

EDIT: My understanding is that a lot of the technical issues have been ironed out, but it still has a shovelware feel to it. I personally don't mind the graphics and stuff, but I'd just expect to see derpyness if you decide to play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mushaden

Scholar
The only good thing about HD is that they have explanations for all of the skills and spells that you can read in-game. Everything else is pretty terrible. Maybe you could argue that the graphics are decent (except in battle, which is ridiculously terrible-looking, and not including npcs as you can see above).

rohand

Cipher
In 10 years from now, the 2D art of the originals will still be cool, whereas the remake will look even worse.
And because of the issues, you don't even know if they'll make Shadows over Riva.

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
The originals are like a supermodel from the 80s. Aged but still kinda hot.

The remakes are this:

84902606-color-illustration-of-frankenstein-head-.jpg

Dodo1610

Arcane
ss_fcd14aea6b9210304de99f0d274e6911c6fb84b9.1920x1080.jpg

Imagine looking at this and thinking that it's good enough to be sold for 30 bucks:despair:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
IIRC it was:

1. Derpy and inconsistent graphics and animations throughout the game.
2. Technical issues like characters falling through the map and generally buggy at release.
3. Issues with translation.
4. Arguable design decisions.

Like this:

and:

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9224

EDIT: My understanding is that a lot of the technical issues have been ironed out, but it still has a shovelware feel to it. I personally don't mind the graphics and stuff, but I'd just expect to see derpyness if you decide to play it.

Checked a gameplay video (browsing from your youtube link).

That huge empty battlefield with bland colored hexes ... I could forgive the shitty design and all but this.
Looks like a generic engine i've seen in many shitty tactical-wanabee games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom