Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What went wrong with Shadowrun? 1up investigates

Jason

chasing a bee
Have any of our Japanese-speaking friends played the Mega CD Shadowrun? I know there's a rom of it floating around. Is it as potentially awesome as it sounds? From the GameSetWatch article:
Several years later, Japan received their own Shadowrun game, this time for the fading Mega CD. Published by Compile in 1996, the Mega CD version of Shadowrun was created by Group SNE, a Japanese developer with deep tabletop role playing game credentials. In the late 80’s the company had helped to kick start the Nippon gaming scene with their Sword World rule books and later created the much beloved Record of Lodoss War. Adapting the material to fit Japanese tastes, Group SNE’s Shadowrun went in a very different direction from the previous Western designed games. For their version, the developer created a complex point-and-click adventure with lush, anime graphics. While the previous two Shadowrun games handled combat in real-time, Shadowrun for the Mega CD employed a turn-based tactical system in the style of Shining Force or Arc the Lad with combat results decided by animated rolling dice.

cazsim83

Novice
*bbbbbbbbbump*

Same people that did RoLW?? Fellatio promised for working version of Mega CD ROM......
:shock:

No, in all seriousness though - I'm going to start digging for that......I'll let you know if I find it, babyarm

Drakron

Arcane
Dgaider said:
Personally I think the most frustrating part of MMO's is that you get this glimpse of something that could be a lot of fun, yet has been turned into some kind of amusement park attraction instead. Everyone gets on the same rides, has the same experience in minute variations as they level up and everyone pretends that the entire thing isn't predicated on addictive reward patterns.

True but the issue is you cannot create a MMORPG that offers a unique experience for 6 million people, the best you can do is offer different rides.

The issue with MMORPGs is how unless you can invest a great deal of time you cannot play it, I played WoW but during graveyard shift time so my sever was pretty much empty of players and my choices was really get working on my social skills and get a network of friends and/or change my playing hours or just quit.

Also no matter what it is still a game, eventually the end game content is the same for everyone, updates are the only way to keep going but people end up running out of things to do since its impossible to output new content at the same speed its being completed.

luckyb0y

Scholar
cazsim83 said:
*bbbbbbbbbump*

Same people that did RoLW?? Fellatio promised for working version of Mega CD ROM......
:shock:

No, in all seriousness though - I'm going to start digging for that......I'll let you know if I find it, babyarm

http://romhustler.net/roms/segacd/s
scroll down a bit
there's no english version as far as i know

oh and skip the fellatio

ricolikesrice

Arcane

i m a big shadowrun fan yet the first game that springs into my mind when thinking about shadowrun as a computer game isnt some kind of Fallout or Deus ex like gameplay (though obviously both would be pretty viable and interesting as well... dont get me wrong) but rather something like X-Com (the first part obviously) or jagged alliance.

sadly if anything is more unpopular on the current market then real cRPGs it must be games like X-com/JA for whatever stupid reason....

dunduks

Liturgist
This might sound blasphemous, but I would love a Crimson Skies MMO. It has all the prerequisites, upgradable planes, blimps as bases, huge battles, and the setting is not done to death.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: ....

ricolikesrice said:
i m a big shadowrun fan yet the first game that springs into my mind when thinking about shadowrun as a computer game isnt some kind of Fallout or Deus ex like gameplay (though obviously both would be pretty viable and interesting as well... dont get me wrong) but rather something like X-Com (the first part obviously) or jagged alliance.

I think VtM:Bloodlines -like gameplay would fit with Shadowrun quite good.

errorcode

Liturgist
dunduks said:
This might sound blasphemous, but I would love a Crimson Skies MMO. It has all the prerequisites, upgradable planes, blimps as bases, huge battles, and the setting is not done to death.

No, i think you're right. Nearly all of the licenses that Weisman picked up would be solid MMO settings. Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, Battletech...as a designer i would love to get a crack at turning those settings into game systems.

errorcode

Liturgist
Smith & Tinker are a spin-off company of 42 entertainment (of the Ilovebees and "The Beast" ARG fame). It's Jordan Weisman's project and is aiming to combine what they learned in making ARGs with his knowledge of model gaming, pen and paper gaming, and computer gaming. When he says he wants to re-invent gaming, It's hard for me to disregard it.

This is the same guy who wasn't impressed with how miniature gaming was going and invented Heroclix to change things up. His ILoveBees arg was actually more entertaining than Halo2 turned out to be. So I'm curious to see what he does to change things up with the gaming world.

Neuro

Novice
I would eat someone's first born child live on the internets for another Mechwarrior game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom