Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What xbox360 game to get?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Dear Codex, me being in an uncharacteristic undecided mood I come to you with a question. What game should I defenitely buy for my xbox360? At the moment I'm torn between Red Dead redemption, UFC 2010 and EA MMA.Or perhaps I should get some MP's and go for Castle Crashers. What to do? Help me out people!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fallout:New Vegas is the new Codex Consensus.
With MPs I suggest, Ecco, Rez, Prince of Persia, all enhanced version of the originals, and Ikaruga.
Ninja Gaiden, best action ever.
Otogi, if you like jap fagginess.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you like shooters the one FPS on Xbawks that I wish was ported to PC is The Darkness. Good semi-open FPS with a strong story from the people who made Riddick. I annoyed a friend by going over to his house for a couple hours a day for a while to play and finish it.

And no 2K, I never gave you money for the experience. Port it to PC next time, fuckers.

Get Fable 3 and do a review and LP for it. We all have to contribute in these dark times, Trash.

Don't think. Just do it.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
Brutal Legend, though the gameplay is flawed, is enjoyable. Try the demo. If you're sold, buy it.

If you're into fighting game, try Blazblue. It's tactical and each of the characters has a very unique moveset. Whatever your level is, you're likely to find one or two characters fitting your play style.

Lost Odyssey is far less cringe-inducing than most JRPG. The story and some characters interactions are entertaining, and the episodes of the immortal-amnesiac protagonist's past are sometimes well-written. Combat system is interesting, with :
-Good use of front row/back row, preventing you from insta-killing the ennemy's ubermage and pushing you to find some work-around to kill him.
-Casting time. Most powerful spells takes more than one turn of preparation.
-Each character as a different proficiency with weapons and magic : casting a spell with a warrior takes more time than casting it with a mage. It is also terribly inefficient. Funny thing is, it is sometimes still useful to do it.
-Brutal boss fights.
-Most encounters are well-designed. Using strategies instead of dealing mass damage is encouraged. Re-equipping ring during combat helps.

Afro Samurai is a curiosity. First time I enjoyed playing a game with such a shitty gameplay. Ambiance, writing, music, esthetics, minimalistic narration and a clever use of loading screens made it unique. You can probably find it for 10 bucks or so. If you ask me, it's worth it.

Achilles

Arcane
Get Halo or something, I hear that's what the cool kids are playing.

desocupado

Magister
I always wanted to play the first Dead Rising. Also, the Armored Core might be decent.

The Ninja Gaiden ones might be good too. DMC4 if you have not played it on the pc.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If you like golf and you have a nice HDTV then the Tiger Woods games are pretty awesome. You can recreate yourself in the game with startling similarity.

deuxhero

Arcane
I've heard that Eat Lead: The return of Matt Hazard, while popamole that even automates moving between cover, is hilariously written (and apparantly really cheep from the sales list I've seen), though if you can find a Let's Play, you should stick with that (and link me to it).

Beyond that, the only non-PC titles I've heard of as good are

Shadow Complex (Metroidvania)
Symphony of the night (Along with Super Metroid, THE Metroidvania)
Dead Rising 1.

Multi-headed Cow

Red Dead Redemption is super duper awesome so get that.

Topher

Cipher
I'd vote RDR from the three listed as the little bit I played was quite fun. I plan on getting when my 360 get's fixed or if a PC port comes out.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
In the end I decided to go for EA MMA. I always enjoyed fight games and really digged UFC 2009, though I did find the career to be a bit shallow and the menus rather grating. UFC 2010 also seems to have a rather limited career and EA MMA promises multiple leagues with different rules such as groundkicks to the head and longer rounds. Since career is something I really enjoy in a fight game I went for the game offering the more expansive one.

The fights itself are more gamey and don't offer the total controll of UFC. They are however more easy to pick up and don't rely on 100's of wristbreaking combo's. You start out in a small semi-pro league and there the AI really let me down. All fights were won easily and the champion (who had better stats all around) proved to be a pushover once I got him in a lock and pounded his face in. I felt kinda let down because he took absolutely no trouble in defending himself once I had him and feared the worst.

Then I got in the Brasil league where you got 20 minute rounds and you can really go to town on your enemy. Did two fights in the lowest tier there and each was a brutal bout for survival which lasted over 15 minutes. The game warned me that I was about to enter a whole new ballgame but it feels like the AI went from punching bag to Mohammed Ali. Me likey.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
WhiskeyWolf said:
Xbox is for fags but there is this one game I really would want to try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

George Bush riding a mecha, Japan for the win!

Wow :shock:

Just wow :shock:

You gotta love japanese translations and awkward voiceovers. They seem to have retardation inherent in them. This and the fact that only the Japanese could have such a take on Kwansanian already blown out of any proportions "Yupi Ka Yey Motherfucker" attitude could make this game quite compelling...

Not sure if want to have anything to with it though :/

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Mrowak said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Xbox is for fags but there is this one game I really would want to try...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Genl242_ZU8

George Bush riding a mecha, Japan for the win!

Wow :shock:

Just wow :shock:

You gotta love japanese translations and awkward voiceovers. They seem to have retardation inherent in them. This and the fact that only the Japanese could have such a take on Kwansanian already blown out of any proportions "Yupi Ka Yey Motherfucker" attitude could make this game quite compelling...

Not sure if want to have anything to with it though :/
So bad it's good... babe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom