Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's a good game to playthrough during Halloween?

deama

Prophet
Anyone got any good recommendations for some nice games to play during halloween? In the past I mostly went with arx fatalis, but after replaying it over 5 times, it's a bit stale now...
I'll replay it again next halloween next year, when the arx insanity mod releases.

But anything for this halloween cycle?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Even though SH: 2 is much better, you can't go wrong with SH: The Room. I can't play video games anymore, but I really enjoyed watching the full gameplay walk through on YouTube.

deama

Prophet
Hmm, I've pretty much played through all of the games recommended here at least once, some multiple times.
I'll checkout a walkthrough of gabriel knight though.

I am looking for something more in the lines of arx fatalis as I tend to enjoy those types of horror more, dark messiah of might and magic isn't a bad choice either, but again, I played through that one several times.

Morrowind would be a good idea, however I'm saving that one for next year when I build a new PC with the new ryzen 7000x 3d v cache, that will make morrowind with the OpenMW run real nice.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Can't go wrong with classics like Resident Evil 1 and 2,and also Silent Hill.
I also recommend Thief:The Dark Project(Thief:Gold nowadays). Not a horror game,but has some levels that are definitely full of horror tension. Great atmosphere. Put on some headphones and play during nighttime for optimal experience.

deama

Prophet
Oh, I know of a good one! Dying light 2, haven't played that one yet.

Zlaja

Arcane
EGS_ObserverSystemRedux_BlooberTeam_S2-1200x1600-9a24fc78d36d88f8a4217ac75e353539.jpg

Zlaja

Arcane
H
How's the redux for this? I played a chunk of the original and wouldn't mind trying it out again sometime.

Apart from the obvious (muh improved visuals and lighting) Redux has a few extra sidequests and improved stealth. Not really worth getting if you've already finished the original. But, If you've just played a little than it might be worth it, if money isn't too much of an issue for you.

PS: Sadly, they could not record new lines for Rutger Hauer, because he died shortly after the original.

Arthandas

Prophet
He's asking for games, not walking sims.

Try Fear & Hunger if you dare.

Well, we've got a general horror games thread going that I recently bumped, so you could look for something that catches your eye there.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/horror-games-for-the-season-and-beyond.140294/page-7
I'll repost my recommendations here: Darkwood, Tormented Souls and RE7 on madhouse difficulty.
Some others which I'm yet to play: Alisa, World of Horror, Faith - The Unholy Trinity and The Horror Of Salazar House

I am looking for something more in the lines of arx fatalis as I tend to enjoy those types of horror more, dark messiah of might and magic isn't a bad choice either, but again, I played through that one several times.
I mean, if that's what you're going for why not one of the UUs? 1 is strictly superior and also closer to Arx.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is another good PnC horror game.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The Ravenloft games, if you're looking for RPG horror titles. I guess Sweet Home and Veil of Darkness, though those are less of RPGs.
Some of the Dangerous Dave titles are nice 2D side-scrollers. Incredibly hard though.

Noct

Literate
If you're into Quake-like shooters, you can't go wrong with Dusk. I like to do a playthrough every year around this time.

deama

Prophet
I mean, if that's what you're going for why not one of the UUs? 1 is strictly superior and also closer to Arx.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is another good PnC horror game.
I've already played UU, was ok but arx just has much better atmosphere.

Anyone got any good recommendations for some nice games to play during halloween? In the past I mostly went with arx fatalis, but after replaying it over 5 times, it's a bit stale now...
I'll replay it again next halloween next year, when the arx insanity mod releases.

But anything for this halloween cycle?

These two are puzzle-based walking sims, but I *HIGHLY* recommend Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Visage, both first-person perspective, and the creepiest games I have ever played.

For a more classic first-person shooter experience, Metro Redux, STALKER trilogy, and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (this one is also largely a walking sim).

If you prefer third-person perspective, Dead Space and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem are both great choices.

Last edited:
And for a really underrated, similar-in-tone game to Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah, that I know NOBODY is going to recommend, pickup Severance: Blade of Darkness ASAP!

It has a lower polygon count than both Arx and DM, but the textures are very rich for this time period, the combat is some of the best melee I have ever experienced, and it's extremely gory too.

Surprised that you think Arx Fatalis is a "Halloween" game.

Only part that comes close is the multiple level dungeon with the locked wooden doors that can only be accessed later in the game.

I wish there were more good horror RPG's, only one I've ever enjoyed and beat is Diablo II: LOD.

Dunno if I consider STALKER an RPG, when I played STALKER + Complete mod it's more survival horror than RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom