Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's he playing at?

Seven

Erudite
Chuck: The Fallout world is based on a "what if" scenario. What if the world progressed as predicted at the 1939 New York World’s Fair? What if we had robots that did the simple chores around the house? What if we had machines that picked up the dog crap for you? Cars that flew or at least hovered above the ground? Automated kitchens? Now take that world 100 years into the future. Got it? Now push the buttons that launch a thousand nuclear weapons. When the dust settles and the radiation levels have subsided to bearable levels, you have the World of Fallout.

So Fallout is not ‘different’ then earth, it is just a world created from a past vision of what earth might be like if the future was destroyed by weapons of the present.

As for credit, Tim Cain was the originator of this dark and unforgiving land.

Why is Chuck mentioning TC? Is he trying to gain legitimacy? OR is he creating a foundation wherein he'll shift responsibility for FO: POS tanking? ==> Don't blame me (Chucky the pimp who wants thongs and breasteses), blame TC, he's the creator of the franchaise.

Voss

Erudite
I think he's just trying to explain the background.

Maybe to show some knowledge of the subject?
Wheres the quote from?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Looks like it's from the FAQ on the official site. It looks like he's name dropping in order to appeal to fans, like Tim Cain approves of Fallout Enforcer.

Anonymous

The Tim Cain bit is probably just to try and make us go 'He does care about the setting!', Tim Cain did the retro half of the game, but Post-Apocalypse deals have been around since the late 70s (as Wasteland and Mad Max movies show).

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LlamaGod said:
The Tim Cain bit is probably just to try and make us go 'He does care about the setting!', Tim Cain did the retro half of the game, but Post-Apocalypse deals have been around since the late 70s (as Wasteland and Mad Max movies show).

Since 1945, actually.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
LlamaGod said:

Since 1945, actually.

Exactly! Kind of makes sense, since this is when the bombs dropped and the devastation was witnessed.

I mean wasteland, probably only influenced parts of Fallout. And Mad Max.. Well Mad Max wasn't even post-apocalyptic. There was a bit of anarchy, but it wasn't until the Road Warrior, the unofficial sequel to Mad Max that they created a post-apocalyptic scenario, which did not really focus to much on post-war civilization, but just a small community in the wasteland of Australia. Hell we have no perspective at all from those films what big city life would be like.

Fallout, is highly original in the sense that life and power (as in power grid), began to revolve around the NUCLEUS, rather then the ELECTRON, which is basically how are power is created, whith exception of our Nuke plants. But things engines for instance no longer work through chemical combustion, which the Mad Max reality were so dependent on.

I guess this is why I hate when people go to the IPLY boards saying it should be more like Mad Max and less 50's sci-fi. Essentially because it is for this background that makes Fallout so original in today's gaming world.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
triCritical said:
I mean wasteland, probably only influenced parts of Fallout. And Mad Max.. Well Mad Max wasn't even post-apocalyptic. There was a bit of anarchy, but it wasn't until the Road Warrior, the unofficial sequel to Mad Max that they created a post-apocalyptic scenario, which did not really focus to much on post-war civilization, but just a small community in the wasteland of Australia. Hell we have no perspective at all from those films what big city life would be like.

Actually, Road Warrior was called that instead of Mad Max 2 because the original flopped in the U.S. so they came up with a new title for the sequel since no one saw the original. It was released as Mad Max 2 in areas of the world where the original was successful.

I read an interesting comment by the guy who was writing Superman: Red Son when I posted the thing on DAC. He basically said that since 1945, all science fiction writers have been writing about "the bomb", in a nutshell. It didn't have to be an actual atomic bomb, but something nearly as devastating. It makes sense when you think about it. HAL was basically "the bomb" in 2001, since he wiped out the entire crew. The alien creature in Alien is basically the biological equivalent of an atomic bomb since it's highly adaptive, bleeds acid, can survive vacuums, and has to not only kill to eat but also kill to multiply. There's almost always something in sci-fi since then that's capable of wiping out everything either locally or universally.

Voss

Erudite
Wow. Thats one fucked up preview.

It seems the previewer is an even bigger idiot than Chuck though. It does just seem like a background blurb though- it just gets lost in the general idiocy of a major fuck up. Someone is going to have to explain to Chuck what dark humor is though.

Sad. Really sad.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Seven9 said:
Chuck: What if we had machines that picked up the dog crap for you? Cars that flew or at least hovered above the ground?
Aye? That's the first I've heard about flying / hovering cars being in Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom