Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

What's more important in a CRPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by octavius, Feb 20, 2013.

?

What's more important in a CRPG?

1. Combat, then story, followed by setting

12.9%
  2. Combat, then setting, followed by story

27.3%
  3. Story, then combat, followed by setting

11.2%
  4. Story, then setting, followed by combat

15.1%
  5. Setting, then combat, followed by story

19.1%
  6. Setting, then story, followed by combat

14.0%
  1. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Well shit then count me out because because I'm not retarded. The codex "combatfags" think fighting twenty kobolds with streamlined AD&D combat rules is somehow amazing and deeply tactical, and "storyfags" seem to enjoy being railroaded which goes against the whole point of RPGs to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I voted "Combat, then story, followed by setting", even though I don't think I really qualify as a tr00 h4rdc0r3 k0mbatf4g...it's just that while I don't really care about retarded stories and settings (lolvideogames), retarded combat annoys me greatly. Also I believe setting comes last because an awesome story in a retarded setting is still cool, but a retarded story in an awesome setting is just a sad waste.

^ Top  
  3. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    What can I say, except repeat that it's not meant to be scientific. Don't take it so seriously.

^ Top  
  4. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Did you forget where we are? :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  5. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    When done well, nothing really trumps the other. I'm indifferent to drawing lines in the sand. Or maybe I'm just a fancy napkin easily folded this way or that.

^ Top  
  6. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    You have a very strange definition of RPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Cabazone Educated

Cabazone
    You're a funny thing codex. By reading at you, combat really seems to be the most important thing, but when looking at the games you actually like, it's story-settingfagness all day.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    Combat, then setting, followed by story

Combat first because it's pretty much the only freeform thing you can do in RPGs (though I wish that is extended to non-combat gameplay). Setting next because a good setting can allow for interesting mechanics and improve said combat. Story, yeah I like a good story, I like it better if it can be influenced through gameplay, but that goes (or should go, in an RPG) without saying.

^ Top  
  9. Rostere Arcane Patron

Rostere
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Setting and story is essentially the same thing in a non-PnP RPG.

^ Top  
  10. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    KOTOR1 and KOTOR2. The very same setting, even a few planets match. Same story?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I used to be a combatfag, but now my list of priorities of what I'm looking for in a CRPG is as follows:

1) Outstanding dungeon and puzzle design (ex.: Dark Heart of Uukrul, Wizardries) or, in case of Ultima-likes, outstanding world design/exploration/clue design (ex.: Ultima V, 2400 A.D., Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan)
    2) Innovative/unorthodox RPG (combat/exploration/character development/whatever) mechanics (ex.: Dark Heart of Uukrul, Wizardry 4, Labyrinth of Touhou, Shin Megami Tensei)
    3) Resource management (ex.: The Legacy)
    4) Atmosphere (ex.: ShadoWorlds)

I realize this list may be an unorthodox one, but then again I do no longer care about the "what is the true CRPG?!" question, thankfully. So that's just what I'm looking for the most in CRPGs as of now. The rest (story, C&C, multiple ways to solve quests, etc.) is fluff to me, although I do enjoy story- or purely tactical combat-focused RPGs occasionally, too.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Well, if you're going to strawman the issues, you might as well label them as a choice between "skirmish simulation" vs. "book simulation" vs. "adventuring simulation". The order of importance is quite obvious then :troll:

^ Top  
  13. likaq Arcane

likaq
    :necro:

This poll is worth bumping.

^ Top  
  14. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Hmm...

Where is character development? It seems to me that combat doesn't define specifically anything (action and strategy games have combat). Story and setting can be an adventure game.

So...

I would say for it to be a cRPG, it should first and foremost have a strong focus on character development. Without character development, you aren't an RPG. /shrug

^ Top  
  15. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Nonsense

^ Top  
  16. nordbird Novice

nordbird
    For me the most important parts of RPGs are neither of those, but character development, choices-consequences and player-world interaction. You can have a bad setting, bad combat and bad story but if it has amazing character development, meaningful choices with visible consequences, multiple ways to do quests and complete each playthrough, then I'd consider it a good game.

If I wanted a game for it's combat, I'd play an action game while if I wanted a good setting-story I'd watch a movie or read a book. For me the defining part of games is interaction, if I feel like I'm following a linear path (kill monsters to get to X) I feel like there is poor interaction.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    ^ Top  
  17. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Without character development it isn't an RPG. It is an adventure or action game, etc... Character development is the defining element of an RPG. From the days of its RPG games inception, character development was the key (ie Chainmail was a board game, to which they applied character development within a story to facilitate strategic encounters which resulted in D&D). Story focused RPG's were a later adaptation, though even so they function on a certain level of character development. With cGames, the genres were defined in the realms of action, adventure, strategy, and RPG. Hybrids obvisly existed, but a game without character development is one of the other categories.

I hope you are not one of those who subjectively and irrationally terms an RPG as "I play a role, its a game... so its a role playing game". If that is the case, well... all games are RPGs. /boggle

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    ^ Top  
  18. VioletShadow Sensate Patron

VioletShadow
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    In general, all of those elements need to work in a cohesive manner. I'd say gameplay is the most important aspect, but I really enjoy the storytelling value so the story is most important to me personally. I'm much more likely to play/enjoy/finish an RPG with great writing and poor combat (Planescape Torment) than the opposite.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'd like to think that combat is not the only form of gameplay nor the storyline and world setup the only form of writing, but are all parts of the respective larger ideals; and as such, gameplay comes first (it is a game afterall) and writing comes second, but they really should strive to supplement each other rather than compete over the focus. That's how I view an optimal case RPG, not unambiguously storyfaggotry nor combatfaggotry.

^ Top  
  20. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Bullshit. Educate yourself.

^ Top  
  21. nordbird Novice

nordbird
    Excidium what game is your avatar from? I like the art style :D

^ Top  
  22. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Ultima Underworld 2

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Xenich Cipher

Xenich
    Failure to state. Enter the discussion or go fuck yourself.

^ Top  
  24. Doctor Sbaitso SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
    Maybe two-option a poll with combatfag, storyfag would have done the trick.

Ultimately I am a combatfag, but if a game nails combat and one of setting or story, chances are I will thoroughly enjoy it. I think very few games successfully execute all three. If a game has solid combat, I can ignore the rest and enjoy it, but I can't say the same for setting or story. Story and setting together are enough to create a special game (PS:T).

^ Top  
  25. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Interesting question! I can't recall many games that have done all 3 well, though - i.e. RPGs with a great story usually have boring combat, combat-focused RPGs usually don't have much in the way of story and so on. I guess I just focus on what's good in the particular game that I'm playing - if it's got an interesting setting (like Arcanum or Morrowind) then I focus on that, if it's got a great story but shitty combat (like Torment) then I try to enjoy the story and get past the combat as quickly as possible. I'm currently playing ToEE and really having fun with the combat, regardless of the silly-as-fuck story.

Character development is another really crucial element, as has been pointed out. If I were to choose one thing that appeals to me most about RPGs, it's that - planning optimal character builds and such is a part of this, but this also includes choices and consequences and how the world reacts to the character based on those choices. The latter is sadly something that most RPGs have horribly failed at.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.