Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the best equipment to start with VR nowdays?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just in case somebody didn't know, you can use Quest 2 without a Facebook account and you can get most of the games for free. It's slightly fussy to do the initial setup, but then you don't have to take any extra actions.

The main problem is that the games are either a bit boring, or they cause motion sickness.

For motion sickness, people should try ginger root-based products. I use 550mg ginger root supplement capsules. Fixed me right up. No more motion sickness in gaming... ever.

Gambler

Augur
If you want a mid-priced headset, buy a used Valve Index and a new face pad. VR is more than just a picture. High-precision tracking is important. Their controllers are the most innovative on the market. They have excellent built-in speakers. Pus, Index can run in 144 Hz mode and has 130 degrees field of view. All these features add up to create a very good overall experience.

Facebook will screw you in the future. Guaranteed. They've already did this multiple times to original Oculus owners. Moreover, they are actively working to make VR part of their degenerate infrastructure. One look at those cringe Metaverse ads should tell you all you need to know about where they want to go if they capture enough market.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I prefer Thrill of the Fight, but Creed has the advantage of a multiplayer mode i believe.

Didn't know about that one. Looks good too.

Imma grab it. Good boxing games on PC are a rarity(if non-existent) so I gotta show my support when one is released.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Didn't know about that one. Looks good too.

Imma grab it. Good boxing games on PC are a rarity(if non-existent) so I gotta show my support when one is released.

That's the one I play too and I give it my endorsement.

Gorn is a good little weapon combat sim, Superhot is a good bullet hell, there are a few good roguelites and FPS at this point. My only complaint is that all of these titles are just too short, and haven't really pushed the envelope on what can be done. But they are very entertaining on their own and a good first step. I want to see a real VR rpg. Seriously.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Gorn is a good little weapon combat sim,

That one looks fun.

And it has some quality steam reviews

gorncomment.png

Neuromancer

Augur
Just in case somebody didn't know, you can use Quest 2 without a Facebook account and you can get most of the games for free. It's slightly fussy to do the initial setup, but then you don't have to take any extra actions.
I don't own a Quest myself, but I read that this is only temporary.

Facebook allows you at the beginning to use the headset without an account, but after some time it forces you to connect to a Facebook account - otherwise the headset stops working.

Doktor Best

Arcane

Facebook allows you at the beginning to use the headset without an account, but after some time it forces you to connect to a Facebook account - otherwise the headset stops working.

You're not entirely wrong but missing important details. When the first Quest released the Quest user accounts were entirely seperate from Facebook and they even promised never to merge accounts with their social media. Then some smoothbrain suits decided to go back on that promise and forced a Facebook social media account to every new customer. The old customers who still had a seperate Quest user account got a "grace" period until somewhen 2023 when their old account will get forcefully merged into a Facebook account also. This started a legal battle between Germany and Facebook since we have a consumer protection law against this kind of shit. It is the reason Facebook does not sell the Quest2 in Germany.

It is also the reason people go so hard on Facebook. The backlash was so big that now they are again doing a 180 and promised to enable decoupling Quest and Facebook accounts somewhere later this year (they claim it is a complicating process and needs some time to get done). There are already users who successfully got decoupled from Facebook by pestering tech support.

ADL

Prophet
I've seen the HP Reverb G2 get discounted pretty heavily which is actually a step up from the Index's HMD and is compatible with Windows Mixed Reality/SteamVR but you'd need the base stations and controllers for the latter. Refurbished Reverb G2s tend to go for under $350 and I bet you could save a couple bucks buying the HMD on sale and the SteamVR lighthouses/controllers separately.

$299 + tax for the Reverb G2 refurbished
$260 + tax for two lighthouses
$280 + tax for the Index's controllers

This gives you a higher fidelity SteamVR 2.0 setup and the ability to use Windows Mixed Reality's inside out tracking whenever you want.

Neuromancer

Augur

You're not entirely wrong but missing important details. When the first Quest released the Quest user accounts were entirely seperate from Facebook and they even promised never to merge accounts with their social media. Then some smoothbrain suits decided to go back on that promise and forced a Facebook social media account to every new customer. The old customers who still had a seperate Quest user account got a "grace" period until somewhen 2023 when their old account will get forcefully merged into a Facebook account also. This started a legal battle between Germany and Facebook since we have a consumer protection law against this kind of shit. It is the reason Facebook does not sell the Quest2 in Germany.

It is also the reason people go so hard on Facebook. The backlash was so big that now they are again doing a 180 and promised to enable decoupling Quest and Facebook accounts somewhere later this year (they claim it is a complicating process and needs some time to get done). There are already users who successfully got decoupled from Facebook by pestering tech support.
Yes, but where "am I not entirely wrong"?
Even from the things you wrote, at this moment of time, I am "absolutely right".

Furthermore, I already knew all the facts of your first paragraph. So where are the "important details I am missing"?

The only new thing for me is the promise of Facebook, to severe the account somewhere in the future - but not now!
And from what you are admitting yourself, promises from Facebook are worth shit. Even if they will follow up on this and decouple the accounts, it will only be temporary until the next "change"

Doktor Best

Arcane

Even from the things you wrote, at this moment of time, I am "absolutely right".

Furthermore, I already knew all the facts of your first paragraph. So where are the "important details I am missing"?

The only new thing for me is the promise of Facebook, to severe the account somewhere in the future - but not now!
And from what you are admitting yourself, promises from Facebook are worth shit. Even if they will follow up on this and decouple the accounts, it will only be temporary until the next "change"

You said that Facebook allows you to use the Headset at the beginning without an account, which is just wrong. Also you left out a lot, i just laid out all the facts. I dont think they will go back on their decoupling promise. They know it will kill their PR and make them look stupid. Zuckerman needs VR to take off since he went all in with that technology.

You can also just create a fake facebook account if you use the Quest2 solely as pcvr device since even if they ban your account you can just factory reset the headset and create a new one. The only risk you take is if you buy games from the oculus platform since you would lose access to those.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

You said that Facebook allows you to use the Headset at the beginning without an account, which is just wrong. Also you left out a lot, i just laid out all the facts. I dont think they will go back on their decoupling promise. They know it will kill their PR and make them look stupid. Zuckerman needs VR to take off since he went all in with that technology.

You can also just create a fake facebook account if you use the Quest2 solely as pcvr device since even if they ban your account you can just factory reset the headset and create a new one. The only risk you take is if you buy games from the oculus platform since you would lose access to those.
Facebook is a CIA operation, they want full and total surveillance of anyone who sucks coculus and doesn't. Don't suck coculus, because we do not want to clean up the mess when they come for the booked faces.

Jrpgfan

Erudite

Facebook is a CIA operation, they want full and total surveillance of anyone who sucks coculus and doesn't. Don't suck coculus, because we do not want to clean up the mess when they come for the booked faces.

I created a fake facebook account to use it.

I'd rather not have to but I don't think it's a big deal tbh.

Ivan

Arcane
Tried Alyx w/nephew's Quest 2 via AirLink and it was pretty laggy. Not sure if I should bother getting a link cable vs. wait for a better to come along (Valve's Index or successor down the road).

While subpar, it felt amazing and novel to actual be in the world of City 17.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Tried Alyx w/nephew's Quest 2 via AirLink and it was pretty laggy. Not sure if I should bother getting a link cable vs. wait for a better to come along (Valve's Index or successor down the road).

Works fine here but cable is always better, especially if you have a crappy router.

You don't need the official cable btw. I got a cheap one and it works without any issues.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I bought a used Lenovo Explorer 2 for £120. Been a really good introduction to VR and allowed me to see the potential.

I'll probably pick up a Valve Index at some point, preferably when I've finished the purchase of my new house and actually have room for proper room scale.

Ivan

Arcane

Works fine here but cable is always better, especially if you have a crappy router.

You don't need the official cable btw. I got a cheap one and it works without any issues.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't forget a VR-optimized toy vagina that can be controlled by your "female" "other players."

Venser

Erudite
I think right now it's a really bad time to get into VR, just wait a bit more. Despite of the Meta privacy concerns The Quest 2 is all around the best headset right now but it's at the end of its life cycle so makes no sense buying it now, Quest 3 should be announced soon. Index is already super outdated in terms of resolution and the build quality but the next Valve headset seems to be just around the corner and it will probably be wireless. PSVR2 is coming out at the start of 2023 and it's gonna have the best tech and exclusives (PC VR is unfortunately pretty dead right now except for the mods). Probably won't be PC compatible but fingers crossed since Playstation keeps porting their old exclusives to PC and they just released Playstation branded gaming monitors so they're getting more and more into PC market.

Poseidon00

Arcane

All airlinks are bad right now, at least on the Quest 2. You *need* the cable for best performance, sadly. The upside is the thing is long af and it has never been an issue for me while using it, even heavily.

Quest 2 still remains the cheapest and best option to start, despite being a product of Faceborg.

ind33d

Educated
Cheapest you can get for porn is Google Cardboard, or so it seems.

Funny stuff aside, from what I've seen Oculus Quest 2 and PlayStationVR get a lot of marketing buzz, both being pretty cheap,
though if you consider buying the connecting cable to actually play shit and a headstrap with better weight distribution, it becomes a bit less so.
The former apparently needs a Zukerbook account or it won't run at all, while the latter is meant for consoles, as the name would lead you to believe.
Therefore, both can go and fuck themselves.

HTC Vive Pro 2 looks like the baseline if you want to do actual VR; just looking at the specs, it should blow the rest of the crap out of the water.
You will need a controller and base stations for it, together with a proper PC, so it ends up being rather pricey.
I actually tried to find a Google Cardboard or phone VR headset in a store and couldn't find one, so I just got a Meta Quest 2 and it was worth the cost fwiw. I hate facebook, but apparently you can just use an instagram account instead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom