Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I don't think we have talked about this before. Is there a game that you can't see without the nostalgia goggles?

As a kid I played a lot of platformers, mostly emulated until I had my first console (Play Station) in the early 2000's when it was almost dead. I still have a lot of good memories with some games from it, but there's only one game and it's from those emulation days, that makes me feel like a kid again. When I played it last time it wasn't obviously the same as when I was 6-7, but I could remember the excitement I had back then, the curiosity, the little dream of beating it, that music, that kind of sad feeling of knowing that you can't go back to the times when things were simple and mom gave me the good night kiss (I'm getting too exaggerated).

latest

I don't even need to play it, just to listen the soundtrack in a calmly night to have those feelings.

Now you, be romantic too. I know you still have a soul somewhere.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
A lot of ps1 games would trigger that feeling but i’m gonna go more old skol then that.

First game i ever played as a really young kid, 4 or 5 years old:

The music of the first 2 stages are particularly nostalgic as those were the levels i most replayed, always struggled to get past the stage 5 bomber boss, and when i did was only with 1 or 2 lives left.

Then going to cheat and nominate the ps1 demo disc that came with 1st levels of tomb raider, crash bandicoot and wipeout 2097, a bit of tekken 2, trailers for final fantasy 7 and a few others i forget...But also these relics:

To most these might seem like silly tech demos but back then, this was a glimpse into the future and still find the music kickass.

Starwars

Arcane
Lots of NES games and C64 games would give me that feeling. But I think some of the early SNES games are where it's at for me, that's when I started to become more aware and interested in games as a whole.

A Link to the Past is probably one of the most nostalgic ones for me.

I remember those PS1 tech demos too, now that I see them. That was pretty cool.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
People who played this game back in the day will be unable to listen to this and not get flashbacks of what it feels like to embark on a great adventure.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sid Meier's Civilization.
Enslaving all the known world with chariots, watching my cities/palace grow, nuking opposition. Man, we had such fun with it.
And I found it by chance when fooling around with "dir" command. Game came with the computer <3

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
I love retro gaming, but I also really don't find it hard to separate the game from nostalgia either.

Recently I replayed two games which I'd have previously classed as "all time classics" in Phantasy Star 4, and Chrono Trigger. Upon return it was clear that both were pretty average at best, and had dated badly.

Street Fighter 2's another. I hate the power bar for super-special moves, I much prefer the more deliberate feel of the older games as they focus more on damage & less on combos, but I can't deny that the later games with these features are still more fun to play than the classic SF2 & it's initial spin offs (Championship Edition & Hyper Fighting)

Like with SausageInYourFace's Shining Force 2 suggestion, it still IS a great game. I played it a month or so back thoroughly enjoyed it from start to almost finish (drags a bit at the very, very end). When I listen to that music it defo reminds me of a great adventure, but that's because there's still one there to undertake even now.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Baldur's Gate - i was playing it at nights in the middle of the winter, on my first pc, in some cold rented appartment.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Vectorman. Even after 20-odd years of gaming, it takes me right back to those early days.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A lot of games are nostalgic for me, but the most nostalgic ones are the Commander Keen series and the first two Monkey Islands. Played those when I was 3 or 4, and my dad helped out with the MI games.

It's impossible for me to listen to this very simple song and not get the feelz. It reminds me of being a wide-eyed kid and having my whole life ahead of me.

El Presidente

Arcane
King's Quest 1, especially the part where you enter the witch's house and she comes back.

heXysXe.jpg

I still remember how scared shitless I was when this happened, and how hiding in her room while she cooks made something in my brain click that stealth could be great fun gameplay - something that surely contributed to Thief 1&2 becoming my favorite games years later in the late 90's, which they still are to this day.

Also definitely Little Big Adventure 2. That game is such a magical journey. I made an LBA appreciation thread in my old account here but I guess that's gone now along with it :negative:

Falksi

Arcane
This little bastard - I always get the nostalgia chills when the music kicks in...

I loved this game back in the day, but couldn't remember anything of this intro.

Just watching it and it gave me shivers. The music & tone is especially spot on. That's not nostalgia giving you chills mate, that's just good taste.

Silly Germans

This weird game from Amiga still gives me a strange nostalgic feeling. I think it was one of the first games that i have played in my life.
The song that is playing is stuck in my memory. The game itself was apparently by the government ministry for economy. You have to buy and manage stuff for your restaurant but not with a focus on food. Rather on the interior and the housing etc. You had to do it in a eco-friendly way if i remember correctly, like buying a energy friendly oven and stuff like that. I liked clicking through it and you could play it with more people on the same machine.

Probably one of the most "german" games that were ever made.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
THIS!!

This is the game that shaped my early life. Taking table-top role-playing into a digital world. Crude by today's (hell, even late '80s) standard? Sure but I'd never be the same again!!
:yeah:

Reality

Learned
Mechwarrior 4 and Creatures

I remember tons of stuff but these standout as ones that I feel like i didn't have enough time with and slipped through my fingers

Aemar

Arcane

Nothing like entering New Sorpigal while listening to the town's theme song. Onward to deliver Sulman's letter to Andover Potbello at the A Lonely Knight Inn, and preparing to attack the nearby smaller goblin parties.

Last edited:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Another honorable mentions.

Gauntlet it's a good arcade classic. I played an emulated master system port back then, I remember the feeling of accomplishment one morning when I woke up at 7 AM to just play it on the computer and reaching level 100. I still remember the sound of the computer trying to warm up in the morning.

Megaman X was also a whole new level of game, back then in my small town some people sold CD-Roms with emulators and games (imagine that, without internet and computers being less accesible than now), so I only had a pack of roms with Nesticle and some SEGA games too. One day my mom gave me a CD with SNES games (I already had DKC2, but was my brother who one day just told me "Hey, I discovered a game inside the computer!", probably he put it there somehow and I just sucked it up like the small brat I was.) and Megaman X was there. At that point I played NES megaman games before, but this thing was so much cooler, the graphics and sprites animations, the sound quality, and with the intro level I was like "What's going on here?", I felt in love instantly.

The Crash Bandicoot trilogy also, to this day I think it's one of the best games ever on the Play Station, was THE reason why I wanted one. My cousins had the game and I watched them playing it, the cartoony graphics, the death animation, 3D, it was a blast compared to the 2D marios I saw before. When I finally got my hands on it, oh boy. My favourite was 3, but over the years my preference shifted towards the first 2 games.

Other games I need to pay tribute in this list:

- Elevator Action: Very simple, but that's how I liked it back then, just a direction pad and two buttons (jump + shoot).
- Rayman: One of the reasons why I preferred 2D graphics (and still).
- Starcraft.
- Age of Empires.
- Metal Gear Solid: The first time I didn't get it, but once I understood it I couldn't stop playing it. Some funny memories:
1) It wasn't a original copy, so I had to try randomly the frequecies until I found Meryl's.
2) I beat Psycho Mantis after like 2 hours of fight because I didn't understand that you had to literally conect the second controller (And I didn't need to, because I beat him anyways, lol)
- Sonic 2 (Genesis emulated)

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's funny, but I don't care much for music in games these days, yet the ones that get my nostalgia juices flowing most is largely because of the music, not nec'ly because they were good games. Of these it's really only The Bard's Tale I would maybe consider replaying, for example, yet I have very fond memories of these games. I guess that's true nostalgia; when you have fond memories of something you once enjoyed but are not eager to revisit them years or decades later.

And the monks' chanting when entering a temple in the Amiga version of The Bard's Tale. I think's it's the same:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom