Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
wiz1.jpg

curds

Magister
Banjo Kazooie (Probably the first video game I played)
Age of Empires (First PC game I played)
Age of Empires II
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
Civilization III
Medieval: Total War

Kitchen Utensil

Way too many.
A couple obscure and old ones:

and many, many more Amiga titles:

Cannon Fodder
Lemmings
Pinball Dreams
P.P. Hammer
Shadow of the Beast
Sidewinder
Syndicate
Turrican 2

Then there's Mario Land for the Gameboy, and a couple Mega Drive/Genesis Titles.

Landstalker
Pitfall
Soleil
Sunset Riders

Many shmups, mainly Toaplan/Cave ones, I'm not listing these.

Also:

Doom/Doom 2
Exhumed/Powerslave
Guild Wars
Quake/Quake 3
Resident Evil/RE 2/REmake
Silent Hill
Starcraft: Broodwar
Super Mario World
Trackmania Nations/United Forever
Twisted Metal World Tour
Warcraft 2

Well, even stuff like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls is starting to feel nostalgic already, so I'm stopping here. This would become a top100 or so otherwise.

Fuck, I'm old. :/

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I would hazard a guess that if such things could be measured, it would be Lords of Magic or any Age of Empires-related game (including SW: Galactic Battlegrounds). Curiously there are many other games that should be as nostalgic for me but just aren't, some of which have been mentioned. Just something about those games feel very friendly to me. Myst and the King's Quest I VGA remake are honorable mentions.

JDR13

Arcane

Games worth mentioning...

Baldur's Gate
StarCraft
Half-life
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom (PS1)
King's Field
Zelda 1, 2, & LttP
Final Fantasy 4 & 6
Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star
Metroid & Super Metroid
Kid Icarus
Castlevania 1
Ghost & Goblins
Gauntlet (Arcade)
Adventure (Atari 2600)

Dramart

Learned
Mario Bros 3, Sonic 1 and 2, and Crash Bandicoot. Because I was still a kid withouth hair on my balls, and remember having a blast with those games, Mario 3 especially was so good compared to previous games I had played at the time. Played them after school, or on vacations. Also Resident Evil 3, and Digimon 1 and 2, I played them with a good friend who didn't have the console and came to my home almost everyday.

THIS!!

This is the game that shaped my early life. Taking table-top role-playing into a digital world. Crude by today's (hell, even late '80s) standard? Sure but I'd never be the same again!!
:yeah:

played that with my grandma all summer one year , she loved RPG on the computer, we would play all afternoon, was awesome, loved that game. It took like 15 to 30 minutes to load on a cassette tape, and we would go make lunch and then come back and play it and eat at the same time.

Ibbz

Augur

Always wondered why I could never get past level 2 until I found this video and found it was timed too tight to complete... no internet back then though to find out.

And of course -

The Central park theme is still one of the best themes to this day.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For me, it's probably Realms of Arkania 2. I even drew maps for it that were published by the most-read video games magazine back in the day.

cwelord

Novice

such an eerie game, I remember me mum grabbing a copy from an old ass gaming magazine and its atmosphere has been haunting me ever since

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I started PC gaming by playing adventure games with my mom, so I have nostalgia for a lot of those. Biggest ones are probably 7th Guest, Sam & Max, Under a Killing Moon and the later King's Quest/Space Quest games.

Shooters I started with Dark Forces and enjoyed it, but I played a TON of the Doom shareware episode, so that one sticks out the most.

RPGs I started with Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor, but I was too young and not super into them at the time, so I mostly have nostalgia for the later stuff that really made me fall in love with the genre. Mostly Fallout, honestly.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Deus Ex
Still can't notice how badly voiceacting is.

Everything else just works. Still one of the few games where ending wasn't rushed.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Civilization 1, Populous, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Earthbound and Chrono Trigger were probably the games that defined my childhood. I was starting to experiment with harder drugs like Betrayal at Krondor, Fallout and Baldur's Gate a little later on as a teenager.

Citizen

A tie between HoMM2-3, Worms: Armageddon, Rayman 2: The Great Escape

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom