Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the oldest games you played for the first time this year?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
With the year nearing its end, time for the "...of the year" threads spam to start. I'll begin with a less usual one.
Note that this is asking for the oldest game you FIRST played this year. As in, hadn't played before. So no Civilization IV, Age of Empires II, HoMM3 and so on. Only debutantes.

Bonus points if you explain why you waited so long to try said game, and if you'd recommend it to others.

ChaDargo

Arcane
I just started playing Castlevania SotN. Recently got back into "metroidvania's" when I finished Blasphemous, and I thought I'd go back to the root of the genre (I've played Metroid and Super Metroid long ago). Never played SotN back in the day because I never had a PS1, and I just recently got curious about the genre. I also hope to play Aria of Sorrow after that.

BruceVC

Magister
With the year nearing its end, time for the "...of the year" threads spam to start. I'll begin with a less usual one.
Note that this is asking for the oldest game you FIRST played this year. As in, hadn't played before. So no Civilization IV, Age of Empires II, HoMM3 and so on. Only debutantes.

Bonus points if you explain why you waited so long to try said game, and if you'd recommend it to others.

I have currently just stared on Quest for Glory 4 (released in 1994 ) and I am playing it because I only played the first 3 games. I dont know if I will finish it so I cant recommend it but I did play Inquisitor the Czech RPG released in 2012 and it was excellent because of the dark and compelling narrative. So I definitely recommend it

Falksi

Arcane
I've had a fucking great year for old games, catching up on plenty of classics which I never got round to first time round.

Albion, Warsong (Der Langrissa), several Exile & Avernum games etc. Some belters in there.

The oldest was probably Captain Blood (1988)

Last edited:

BruceVC

Magister
Inquisitor the Czech RPG released in 2012

My brain says "diablo 2 with a lot more text", am I thinking of the correct game?
'
I never played Diablo 2 so I cant comment but its got some excellent quests and lots of lore but real choices that I have never made before like do you want to support the Demonic side...and you really can side with them. I chose the good guys of course :salute:And the way you can sentence heretics to burn at the stake is fun

I have currently just stared on Quest for Glory 4 (released in 1994 ) and I am playing it because I only played the first 3 games. I dont know if I will finish it so I cant recommend it
? Why would you not finish it? It’s the best of the series.

Codex Year of the Donut
I tried too many of the games when making a list of non-PC cRPGs to remember which one it was.
So, here's a video of me trying out what is easily one of the rarest games on the list, a game("EPIC" by Jon Mattson) that came with a digital-magazine for the Commodore 128

BruceVC

Magister

I have currently just stared on Quest for Glory 4 (released in 1994 ) and I am playing it because I only played the first 3 games. I dont know if I will finish it so I cant recommend it
I want to finish it, I have literally just started on it....say 2 hours in and its the graphics but I know I need to get past any graphic concerns so I can appreciate all older games

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I tried too many of the games when making a list of non-PC cRPGs to remember which one it was.
So, here's a video of me trying out what is easily one of the rarest games on the list, a game("EPIC" by Jon Mattson) that came with a digital-magazine for the Commodore 128

This looks way too old for me. Also why did your vision go to only 1 tile in each direction towards the end?

Codex Year of the Donut

This looks way too old for me. Also why did your vision go to only 1 tile in each direction towards the end?

Night time

I want to finish it, I have literally just started on it....say 2 hours in and its the graphics but I know I need to get past any graphic concerns so I can appreciate all older games
I would say the graphics are one of its major selling points. The backgrounds are without doubt some of the best Sierra ever did. Only real flaw of the game IMO is how buggy it is, even 30 years later.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The indie game The Earth Lords (2001), because it was the first/oldest one on my chronological play list.
For AAA titles, Arcanum. Got some copied disks from my gaming buddy back in the day, but they didn't work, so I never got around to trying it before.

I'd recommend both. Earth Lords was surprisingly good for such an obscure game.

BruceVC

Magister

I would say the graphics are one of its major selling points. The backgrounds are without doubt some of the best Sierra ever did. Only real flaw of the game IMO is how buggy it is, even 30 years later.

What Im battling with is because its point and click I literally find it hard to find see certain things on the screen that I need to click on, its blurry in some respects but I will persevere because I plan to play all the older RPG I have never played like Wizardry, M&M and Ultima so I need to learn how to play these games. And of course Quest is an adventure game not an RPG which is different to all the other older games I want to play

I think mine is XCom Apocalypse. Definitely played fewer old games than most years. Part of that is just a function of playing much much less overall than I used to.
As to Apocalypse: It’s okay. Better than it’s reputation, but still clearly unable to deliver completely on its ambition. I didn’t finish it and will likely never touch it again.

visions

Arcane
Must be some NES game.

If going by the original Japanese release date (June 1986), then I guess Super Mario the Lost Levels is the oldest that I hadn't played before (tho I'm too lazy to start googling release dates of several NES games in order to verify this). I didn't play it far, gave it a few half-hearted attempts, seemed hard and trollish. Maybe I'll give it a serious attempt some day in the future but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Would I reccommend it? Only if you are a fanatic who wants a harder old Mario game but I'm guessing most such people have played it already.

Why I never played it before? I played the first Super Mario Bros on a bootleg console as a preteen (and also some weird pirate version on PC that only had the first 4 levels) but as a teenager and young adult I had no interest in Mario (or console games in general) so I didn't seek out any other Mario game. But I got a Switch earlier this year before the Steam Deck was announced, cause I wanted a portable gaming device. So I've also been playing old NES games now occasionally on it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enchanter, from 1983. I haven't finished it yet, but that has nothing to do with its quality, only that I started it at the tail end of a text adventure binge. It seems really good. As to why I hadn't played it before, that's mostly due to the fact that it's fantasy, which is booooring (but the quality of the game can make up for it). Also, I heard it was a lot like Zork, and I didn't feel like more Zork at the time that I played most of Infocom's games.

axx

Savant
Tried Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego (1986) and Hobbit (1983) some time ago.
Years ago I used to browse and play random games from Abandonia and HOTU.

Gaznak

Learned
Don't remember for sure but it can be Abandoned Places: A Time for Heroes (1992). Amiga version via emulation.

Decent old-school dungeon crawler. Tried it while reviewing my Amiga library. Didn't finish but played quite far into. Had been distracted by Crystal Dragon (1994) that I could call probably the best game I know from Dungeon Master family. Didn't finish it either but this time due to quite high difficulty. Maybe later.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom