Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's the point of gaming anyway?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's the point of gaming (below is for RPGs, other genres have other aspects)?

• Encounter Design
  • Monster Design
  • Combat Mechanics
  • Overall Art Direction
  • Dungeon Design
  • World Design
  • Story
  • Writing
  • Economy
  • Itemization
  • Dialogue System
  • Puzzle-like situations (no puzzles per se)

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What's the point of... Fucking ?

procreation_not_recreation-620x264.jpg

:?

For competitive games (fighting games in particular) gaming used to be about expression for me. But then the Internet happened and that went to shit, because everyone plays exactly the same way.

I rarely play videogames anymore because their only purpose to me now is nostalgia. I can nearly always think of something better to do with my time. Reading, biking, working out. I haven't "felt" like playing a videogame in over a decade. It is a symptom of mental illness to me now - when I can't muster the will to do better things, I resort to shutting myself in and forgetting about the outside world.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
For competitive games (fighting games in particular) gaming used to be about expression for me. But then the Internet happened and that went to shit, because everyone plays exactly the same way.

:hmmm:

You couldn't be more wrong. If anything even when playing the same character people use them in completely different ways.

No, they don't. They copy what the top players are doing to a T, because there is an information overload. You see the same thing with strategy games (card games in particular - netdecking is 100% of the experience).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
No, they don't. They copy what the top players are doing to a T, because there is an information overload.

Not really.
The pros pride themselves in doing their own thing, even the koreans who are super autistic for analysis always come up with their own style/signature. Because that's part of the fun and it sets then apart. Further more in games with very high skill ceiling it's really hard to end up playing the exact same way as some else.

Hell even in single-player games this happens. There are playstyle differences between the guys that make combo mad videos.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's actually fairly difficult to kill yourself if you got one hand on a mouse and another on WASD.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's actually fairly difficult to kill yourself if you got one hand on a mouse and another on WASD.

Or one on your pause and rewind controls and the other...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom