Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's this thing?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was browsing Amazon 3DS RPGs and saw this title for preorder:

Langrisser Re: Incarnation - Tensei

Does anyone have any context for this? Franchise? Designer? Company?

The Wiki article seems pretty inclined. "Fantasy-Germanic" setting.

... and apparently Growlanser was its spiritual successor. Weird.

Mustawd

I was browsing Amazon 3DS RPGs and saw this title for preorder:

Langrisser Re: Incarnation - Tensei

Does anyone have any context for this? Franchise? Designer? Company?

The Wiki article seems pretty inclined. "Fantasy-Germanic" setting.

... and apparently Growlanser was its spiritual successor. Weird.

Looks pretty cool. Is there an English translation?

boot

Prophet
Langrisser is an srpg series that has been around for a while. There's a LP of Der Langrisser in the Playground. I recognize at least one of the battle themes from there...

None of the games were really challenging, and the later ones started to incorporate dating-sim elements. I think my favorite part of these games was the music.

I had that bookmarked, very catchy.

I'd rate the series :3/5:. Games weren't challenging enough and all the story stuff was completely forgettable. Most of the games had branching storylines, you might like that. I haven't played all of them so maybe I missed something. There aren't enough of these kinds of games so I gave it an extra point.

You can easily emulate most if not all of the Langrisser games, they'll need to be translated though and some of the fan translations are really bad.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, that explains why they're bringing it back.

Still, given that every game and its grandmother has felt the Persona creep, I'm not going to dismiss this out of hand.

Courtier

Prophet
The portrait art for the 3DS game looks really good, but what's up with those spastic sprites and bobblehead 3D models? Looks like a budget FE:A. Couldn't they have used more static or better animated 2D sprites?
From what I can tell this seems like a step down from the SNES game.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The character design is good because it's made by Satoshi Urushihara, who usually draws hentai. He also works on Growlanser. The older games were OK.
edbbfddac3a25cc9841f182ad01791a6d2d77ce2.jpg

Murk

Arcane
The SNES Der Langrisser is still pretty fun. Basically it's like a super fleshed out version of the wars in Suikoden 2 (if you are familiar with it.)

And if you don't know how to meta-game it, you may actually experience some degree of challenge.

Has branching story, relatively real choices/consequences, and also is one of few games that let's you stick it to the good guys, the bad guys, and the kinda-good-but-pretending-to-be-bad guys.

I think my favorite part was systematically wiping out all my former allies. Few games allow for this, but man does it feel good to kill the annoying ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom