Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware What's worth getting from DriveThruRPG

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I normally get my stuff from The Eye, and I'm ordering some niche community materials. What's available in either physical or digital that's worth getting and won't be available elsewhere?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You probably know some or all of this shit already but here goes...

Stars Without Number is great if you're at all into scifi, especially if you're a game master. The basic pdf versions are free and contain everything truly essential IMO.

The core AD&D 1e books are available as physical books, if you care to delve into Gygax's madness. So is the Rules Cyclopedia if that's your thing.

Lately I've been buying Knights of the Dinner Table bundles since I love that damn comic. I think it's well worth checking out if you don't know it, though somewhat pricy.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That one's hyper-specific, but if you and your players want to simulate a company run by the players, I can recommend Reign: Enchiridion. It's a complete RPG system on its own, but its rules regarding companies are based on simple concepts (yet they have quite some depth) and can easily be adapted to any pnp system and any setting.

Sacibengala

Prophet
Drivethrurpg just banned the LOTFP book "zak has nothing to do with this book" using the argument that zak had to do with it. Banning books is really sad, actually.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Drivethrurpg just banned the LOTFP book "zak has nothing to do with this book" using the argument that zak had to do with it. Banning books is really sad, actually.
They finally caved in eh? I mean, it's not a particularly good LotFP adventure compared to some of the greats like Death Frost Doom, Tower of the Stargazer, or No Salvation for Witches (it's kind of a "Hateful Eight" setup with a jester/circus clown named Zak . . . who has nothing to do with a Satanic Book that is the McGuffin of the module), but how fucking lame can DTRPG get? (Rhetorical! rhetorical! Get your filthy dick skinners off of that "it's a mystery" button).

Sacibengala

Prophet
They finally caved in eh? I mean, it's not a particularly good LotFP adventure compared to some of the greats like Death Frost Doom, Tower of the Stargazer, or No Salvation for Witches (it's kind of a "Hateful Eight" setup with a jester/circus clown named Zak . . . who has nothing to do with a Satanic Book that is the McGuffin of the module), but how fucking lame can DTRPG get? (Rhetorical! rhetorical! Get your filthy dick skinners off of that "it's a mystery" button).
Yes, pretty sad turn of events. Their approach don't even makes any sense. Raggi is a smart guy, he knows about the holes and dig in it, as Zak does, people can say anything about them, but they're smart, they know where the putrid false morals are and exposes it. This DTRPG situations and many others have been proving it more and more. Sad times indeed.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
What's available in either physical or digital that's worth getting and won't be available elsewhere?

Can't you get most of their library physically thanks to print-on-demand nowadays? Seems to be a pretty good deal for some ancient out of print books.

maxresdefault.jpg

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
:necro:

Yes, it's great to get things from DriveThruRPG. When I purchased AD&D 2E PHB, DMG, and Monstrous Manual premium editions as print on demand they came out great. I had a minor error on one page of the DMG which I contacted their support about it.

a2xDRg2.jpg

They refunded my entire order and gave me store credit. I got all three of the core rulebooks for free. I always recommend them to people to buy from.

Another instance I had a soundtrack that the publisher changed all the links to. I contacted support about it and they gave me the updated version of it for free.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah as woke as DTRPG has been in recent years, they still continue to do right by their customers. Had a couple of issues with previous orders which they quickly fixed. Their POD books are solid quality too.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Yeah as woke as DTRPG has been in recent years, they still continue to do right by their customers. Had a couple of issues with previous orders which they quickly fixed. Their POD books are solid quality too.

Oh yeah, they're on heavy paper and the covers are heavy paper stock as well. The interior pages have a slick finish to them, so turning can be a pain.

Bara

Arcane
All the books I've gotten printed have been great other than the planescape books text in yellow being really faint but it wasn't bad enough for me to want to return it. The Rules Compendium being the best out of everything I've gotten from them.

Eldagusto

Educated
I've really enjoyed a lot of the products from the Storyteller's Vault if you like World of Darkness games.

My two favorites by far are Analects of the Third Garden - White Wolf | DriveThruRPG.com A book giving lore of the Bahari in the style of the Book of Nod and Revelations of the Dark Mother, it is so damn well written with oodles of flavor and good ideas on the days of the First City.

Roots of Legend - White Wolf | DriveThruRPG.com
Roots of Legend feels like the Changeling's Player's guide I always wanted, with a cohesive focus around faery Plants. A New Art, and lots of new kiths and mechanics. Excellent art too!

Berengar

Learned
Recently received my PODs of the Planescape Campaign Setting(HC), In the Cage(HC even though I asked for SC :cool:NICE!), and Uncaged(SC) in the standard color. Took about 2 and a half weeks for the printer to finish them all and 1-3 weeks for them to arrive(they were shipped as they were completed from the printer)

Quality is DAMN good imo. I looked at a lot of comparisons between Standard and Premium Color and the difference didn't really seem that substantial.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
GAZ9 The Minrothad Guilds
GAZ10 The Orcs of Thar

4 more Gazetteers to go and I think that's the entire line available in print again?
Also 2 of the 3 Hollow World Gazetteers, as they seem to have HWR2 Kingdom of Nithia available in print but not HWR1 Sons of Azca or HWR3 The Milenian Empire (both the Dawn of the Emperors and the Hollow World box sets are already available in print).

hwr1-sons-of-azca.jpg
hwr2-kingdom-of-nithia.jpg
8pirr7.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom