Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware What's your favorite quest/mission/etc in a cRPG, and why do you like it?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The Jews Conspiracy quest from Arcanum, they just aren't making quests like this anymore.

this. it's pretty much the only thing I still remember from playing Arcanum 20 years ago.

There's nothing special about the design of this quest. It's just this "ooohhh it's a creepy mystery that ends in an anticlimactic fashion". That's the only reason people still mention it.
The whole sequence where you bring the info to the Tarantian was cool, simple but effective. The quest matter is obviously quite edgy but without being too retarded, don't see that every day. Liked the whole feel of the quest where you are chasing but never quite catching up, and the exercise in futility that it turns out to be. Sure the hero can stop the legendary big bad, but he can't stop simple greed and the corruption of regular folk. Reminds me of those pedo rings that break the surface every 10-20 years where 1-3 guys take a hard fall and somehow nothing ever really gets resolved. Quest is cool, you are cringe.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
(or else just mark and recall like all busy freaks)
There's also the Shrine of Daring just outside of where you receive the quest, so you can easily get a 100pt Levitate effect and just float over the entire island in 5-10 minutes.
Actually I tried once, but the effect wore off mid-trip and I fell on the Red Mountain.

Alphons

Cipher
Lovelock surgery in Fallout: Nevada.

When you first arrive in Lovelock, Indians there don't trust you. You can fix that in several ways- get rid of Big Louis and his gang, retrieve a medicine pouch for a shaman, fix the water tower or get rid of the spore plants.

But there's one quest that you can't do- in shaman's tent lies a kid with legs crushed by a boulder. Shaman doesn't have the tools or knowledge to help him, but the chieftain won't allow some random guy operate a kid.

You have to earn tribe's trust and then pass a medical test prepared by a shaman. Fail and he'll never allow you to touch the boy.
Pass and you can operate right away if you have the tools.

To operate you need something to cut, something to disinfect and some healing item. The result of the surgery is determined by a mix of your Doctor skill and items you've used.

50 Doctor, a knife, water canteen and expired painkillers? Kid's dead.
70 Doctor, a combat knife, pre-war whiskey and a stim? Kid's alive, but he'll never walk again.

Take too long and kid'll die (even if you never start the quest or metagame by avoiding entering Lovelock).

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Great thread.
Not so much a quest in itself, but for the various starting points for minor/major quests or obtaining NPC's, I'll plug the curio shop in PS:T.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom