Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whats your favorite standard fantasy class?

Favorite standard fantasy class?

• Total voters

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Cleric. I like to put more STR than WIS because I like hitting stuff but also healing and casting buffs. Paladins are cool too, and a bit more powerful than playing a Cleric like this. But this is more flexible from a roleplay perspective. You don't have to be LG, can pick whatever deity you want. I like being a neutral aligned human devotee of a non-demonic evil deity, in it for the power only. That way I get the aesthetic of the bad guy without having to actually roleplay as evil. Can be an antihero that ultimately ends up on the right side of history, albeit for his own reasons.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Fighter/Paladin when I want to hit stuff up close; Ranger when I want to hit stuff from a distance; Rogue when I'm feeling sneaky; Mage when I want to use spells for everything. It also depends on the party and game. I have wanted to play a cleric but haven't had the chance (yet).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Paladin or cleric.

Monks are the worst. Doesn't fit the theme and it's already enough of a stretch that you can kill some of the creatures in the game with a sword let alone by punching them in the face. Imagine tryting to kick a dragon in the shins. At least pinning them with arrows has a precedent in fantasy lore.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Fighter. You are getting visibly stronger with each level and can use almost every piece of loot.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Ranger, but I'm also of firm belief that making it one of the standard classes was a mistake because a Ranger needs some sort of wilderness exploration game to really shine. Nature knowledge, Animal Handling and Survival honestly have fuck all general use beyond niche situations. Favorite Enemy was a kind of band-aid to add potential use while, going by 5E, Natural Explorer is basically the same thing except for environment and how well you navigate it.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
I went from Lawful Good Paladin to Netural Good Fighter because the roleplay was so much better. Smiting evil at every opportunity gets so tedious...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
If I had to actually live in a D&D world, I'd go for bard. Music, taverns, booze and women, what's not to like ? But when playing D&D then cleric all the way.
Buff, kill, heal... efficiency FTW !

V_K

Arcane
Sorcerer isn't really a standard class - the Sorcerer/Wizard distinction doesn't make sense outside of DnD.
On the other hand, the list is missing Shaman/Summoner kind of caster.
Voting for Druid because shapeshifting, but tying shapeshifting to divine nature-based magic is also a very DnD-specific thing that doesn't really translate beyond that context.

Depends if we’re talking crpg or pnp.

In pnp I most often played Bards or Rangers because they offer fun role-playing and out-of-combat opportunities.

In crpgs I tend to play clerics or multi-classed wizards because they’re OP.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Druid, especially in D&D-based cRPGs. Just like the idea of working that class and eventually getting my dragonshape on (or pissed off minotaur with a Labrys) at will. I even killed a fearsome end-game boss in a well-known NWN module with just a small acid wyrmling once. Just two or three corrosive green puffs and I blew his house down.

Old Hans

Arcane
These days it's the Rogue. I have a soft spot for those burglar types like that Bilbo Biggins character in the lord of the hobbits movie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom