Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

When Arcanum is done. What's next ?

newtmonkey

Arcane
Molina
The only thing comparable is Fallout (and it is a million times better than Arcanum, which is not a slight against Arcanum, but praise for how amazing Fallout is).

Warning: The interface for Fallout has not aged well. Set aside a lazy weekend and put plenty of time into getting used to it. It will be worth it, I 100% guarantee it. It is simply amazing. It feels like it has thought of everything, you'll come up with some insane plan to get through something, and it will just work.

I bought Fallout when it was first released, never got into it, bought it again on budget release, never got into it, and then got it on GOG when they were giving it away for free (? I think) before Interplay lost the license. At one point I had a weekend where I had nothing to do, so I decided to just force myself to play it until I got it, and when I got it, it was truly glorious. It's a short game, even if you don't know what you're doing, but I played it obsessively all weekend, and then finished it the following weekend. Probably in my top 5 games of all time.

[EDIT] There are some great games on the list that Gregz posted, but very few (if any) are like Arcanum and Fallout. The only other games that really react to your character build are nearly pure combat/exploration games (Wizardry, etc.) or the Quest for Glory games. However, the Quest for Glory games are nothing at all like Arcanum/Fallout in terms of how they actually play and their interface, so I would suggest Fallout first. If you want more of that, but want to explore other kinds of games, I would suggest Quest for Glory (the class you pick will almost completely change the way you solve quests).

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Just a quick question : I’have done Arcanum several time. ...
I’have already done morrowind, BG1, BG2, Avadon 1, NWN 1, KOTOR 1, Pillars of eternity 1.
This call for Neverwinter Nights 2. Try the original campaign.

I would have recommended Icewind Dale 1 and 2. But that is too tactical game instead of RPG so that might not be to your taste.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When you complete Fallout 1&2, do not despair! There are still quality fan made campaigns for F2: Fallout 1,5 Ressurection and Fallout of Nevada, which you can download for free!

After that go for Fallout New Vegas and you can end your adventure with the franchise (ofcourse replaying these titles is still a great idea, they are excellent for trying out new builds and approaches!).

This should keep you entartained at least until 2019. I really envy you right now.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Icewind dale.

You can play as a warrior who kills skeletons, a wizard who kills skeletons or a thief that kills skeletons. OR any combination of up to 6 characters that kills skeletons :D

Farewell into the night

I think you got to check out Black Geyser when it comes out. It's like a better PoE with very cool greed system.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

And then cry for you have reached the end of the RPG world. Thar be no dragons here. Just disappoint.
:negative:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hi Codexer,

Just a quick question : I’have done Arcanum several time. I would like to know if an another game bring us the same freedom of character build (in term of personality, and roleplay). You know… the summer, the need to discover new things blablabla.

I’have already done morrowind, BG1, BG2, Avadon 1, NWN 1, KOTOR 1, Pillars of eternity 1. Need new shit plz.

Best regards,
Molina

In terms of character development, i'd say Wizardry 8 (but with all the mods you can add and you HAVE to use the fast animation and fast ennemy turn mods ), probably Wiz 6 & 7 too but i only tried the windows version and they're a pile of shit, the DOS versions are the way to go (with dosbox but i still have to try them ), wizardry character dev system is just the best.

In terms of atmosphere, i think Fallout 1 and 2 fit best, still, i hope there is some mods for them, didn't try them since their release, wasn't yesterday but they're the best at what they do and there is a lot of cities in this post apocalyptic world.

In terms of freedom, i'd add Might & Magic 3-5 (old ones, with dosbox) and Might & Magic 7 (then 6 if you liked it and then 8 ), you can go anywhere, as long as you can stay alive, get quests everywhere and use the town teleporters to go in most places right after you start in MM3-5, if that's not freedom, i don't know what is.

In terms of story, characters interactions, i'd add Tyranny, it's probably the missing link between planescape torment and BG2. PC and NPC have some real grip in this one.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you dont take followers because they are a waste of space and totally useless. Just playing solo is a way to go.

Just like in fallout, they're just mules / healers / decoys.
Well, except for the super mutant in Fallout 2, you give him a rocket launcher and then shit flies.

Molina

Savant

Fargus

Arcane
If you dont take followers because they are a waste of space and totally useless. Just playing solo is a way to go.

Well, except for the super mutant in Fallout 2, you give him a rocket launcher ans then shit flies.

In comparison to Fallout 2 followers in Golden Land 2 are absolutely fucking useless: they can't survive most of the random encounters, healing them is a waste of resources, they steal a chunk of your exp (the more companions the less xp), which is a no no in this game, and they dont even have the fraction of personality Fallout 2 followers had.

God saves Matouchka Rossia !

Spasibo, tovarish. Nostrovia!

Just keep in mind, it's a love\hate type of game. Almost forgot there is an official expansion for GL2 called Cold Sky, but it's stand-alone.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, except for the super mutant in Fallout 2, you give him a rocket launcher and then shit flies.
Mostly yourself and any other companion/s you may have picked up. Marcus with a rocket launcher channels the spirit of Ian.

Fargus

Arcane
Mostly yourself and any other companion/s you may have picked up. Marcus with a rocket launcher channels the spirit of Ian.

Yep, at least Sulik with power armor and super sledge can do some damage. In GL2 however i had a follower - a knife throwing fag who refused to take any combat orders from the player character, because "you are too stupid to teach me about combat tactics". Needless to say he died like a bitch soon after.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nothing compares to Arcanum.

You've played the best RPG there is. No contest.

Anything else is going to be disappointing in comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom