Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline When I was 9.... DISCUSS!!!11

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
ITT :shunthenonbeliever:

Enemies given higher def in the editor to provide challenge, or higher dam resistance or hp, or more interesting/powerful spells, greater numbers etc.
Not the same thing, as you're losing because of your stats or equipment and not because you aren't the right level to win.

All solutions are better than scaling, and that type of scaling is the most annoying to me.
MMO shit, however, should be noted that mages have no problem overcoming this CtH scaling, at least not in my experience, same for a lot of skills, so it still isn't that debilitating unless you rely on regular attacks a lot.

RK47

Patron
I think it's time this forum just accept that some games are more palatable to others.
People are willing to tolerate more flaws if they actually love the setting or there are other mechanics that seem to outshine the bad (Arcanum comes to mind)
Reapa/Black has good points. I wouldn't dismiss this game though - it's promising but I just can't get into the whole game world, story and that's very important to me - it either makes me want to finish the game or just drop it after getting bored of experimenting.

Larian games are like that to me. To date, I've not finished a single Larian games.
The trend will not change for me.

Zeriel

Arcane
That's fine, but "lol game is trash" will always attract criticism when what people really mean is "I do not like the style". Especially when gameplay as isolated platonic ideal is such a meme on the Codex.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The only thing anyone ever convinces anyone of on the internet is that they themselves are a douche bag or a fucking idiot. The louder they scream, the more sadly apparent it becomes.

Zeriel And vice versa, instead of just accepting the flaws and saying they like it regardless, people will defend shit that they'd otherwise dislike. Trust me, nobody argues for level scaling on the codex, at least, I've never seen it, suddenly it's al'right because MUH FANBOYISM.
If you want to like games for their "soul", "atmoshpere", "personality" etc then do so, but don't fucking chime in on gameplay issues.

I like this game's style, and all of that other shit, but I also like it's gameplay, if I didn't I wouldn't play it. The flaws are there though, doubt it'll be changed unfortunately, but let's all at least have a consensus on what is and isn't shit so in the future the cocksucking devs that want to cater to "Oldschool CRPG fans" know what to do right.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I don't think such a consensus is possible; the top 50 is proof of that I think. Age disparity alone makes it impossible.

Zeriel

Arcane
Zeriel And vice versa, instead of just accepting the flaws and saying they like it regardless, people will defend shit that they'd otherwise dislike. Trust me, nobody argues for level scaling on the codex, at least, I've never seen it, suddenly it's al'right because MUH FANBOYISM.
If you want to like games for their "soul", "atmoshpere", "personality" etc then do so, but don't fucking chime in on gameplay issues.

I like this game's style, and all of that other shit, but I also like it's gameplay, if I didn't I wouldn't play it. The flaws are there though, doubt it'll be changed unfortunately, but let's all at least have a consensus on what is and isn't shit so in the future the cocksucking devs that want to cater to "Oldschool CRPG fans" know what to do right.

People don't like level scaling in terms of monsters automatically scaling to your level. I haven't seen many (none, actually, but allowing that they may be out there, like yourself apparently) who despise enemies of higher level having flat advantages/bonuses. I mean, it's not neccessarily the best design, but neither is it clearly an evil one.

I was making the opposite point in any case: the style doesn't do much for me (neither does it turn me off), but what I love about D:OS is mechanics. My only real complaints are that dual dialogues/co-op are not my bag, and randomized loot ala Diablo 3. Biggest reason I am forgiving of D:OS aside from the overall "there's a ton of content in here" argument is that it does fundamentals right and offers an editor. I'm willing to forgive a lot for well-done fundamentals... and willing to hate games for poorly done fundamentals, hence why I despise games like Shadowrun Returns.

Also, this:

I don't think such a consensus is possible; the top 50 is proof of that I think. Age disparity alone makes it impossible.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What I like the most about this game is the unorthodox approach Larian took in some aspects that some would even consider pointless, CRPGs desperately need people who don't give a shit and are willing to do things differently and I only wish it extended to other core systems like character development, itemization and combat because they are all p. banal. Action Points and cooldowns, really? Makes PE look interesting.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I was so pissed when they went with the cooldown system, especially because it apparently wasn't always that way. They had mana at some point in the dev cycle.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Yeah the cooldowns are shit. You can argue that they introduce more tactical considerations but the player always turns a negative eye towards the fucking cooldown, waiting for the shackles to be removed.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's a really cheap and lazy way to do that, I don't want to see coldowns anywhere in CRPGs

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I would wager that they tested combat situations and found the timers as useful balance buffers when considering capabilities over rounds. In a sense they are effective, but you are right it is lazy and the player pays the price because the abilities and spells are not in themselves balanced. Artificial balance mechanisms I guess is how I would describe them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I only wish it extended to other core systems like character development, itemization and combat because they are all p. banal. Action Points and cooldowns, really? Makes PE look interesting.

What type of system should they use then specifically?

RK47

Patron
Resource based? Like reagents?
Mana / Stamina?
Unique resources like dead bodies for necromancy?
Poisoned status to deliver hex (Using a debuff to remove AND throw back at your enemy?)

Cromwell

Arcane
Is it possible in the editor to change the cooldown system to something different?

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Level-scaling the loot helps avoid the early-game-power-armour-run; if you could just duck into some high-level cave (not difficult with invis.) and grab overpowered gear, you could clear Cyseal in an hour. The reason people complain so much about level-scaling on this forum (I mean seriously, not 'lolol codex doesn't scale") is because dumbfuck developers like Bethesda see it as an alternative to manually balancing a game; in Oblivion, every-fucking-thing scales to your level so it feels like progression is totally absent. In DivOS, leveled loot actually has an interesting synergy with the zoned difficulty, since the player has to come up with more novel means of jumping the difficulty gates than just finding an Assfucking Sword of Death +5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom