Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
In medieval times who needed toilets ? ...as long as you had windows. :dance:

ferratilis

Magister
Jsll0GY.jpeg

thesecret1

Arcane
He was ridiculed for good reason. That comment from GRRM is stupid on several levels. Aragorn is not a main character in The Lord of the Rings and the book isn't about his future reign as a king, it's about destroying the Ring. The book ends when Aragorn becomes king.

The main characters of The Lord of the Rings are the Hobbits, and the book describes in detail how society is structured in the Shire.
He wasn't talking about the plot of the books, he was talking about the setting – in LotR, you have kingdoms that are good because they're good, their kings being good people, and then places like Mordor that are evil because they're ruled by bad people. At no point is it mentioned how those places are governed. This is fair because Tolkien was going for something more fairy-tale like, whereas GRRM is trying to write some fantasy middle-ages drama bullshit or whatever, where politics are the most important thing of all, while being a "good person" is repeatedly shown to be largely irrelevant to anything save for perhaps making friends.

Does that mean asking what Aragorn's tax policy was is stupid, however? Of course not. It could make for a fairly interesting sequel (in a different genre, of course) where the post-ring politics swirl about and former allies backstab each other over realpolitics – in fact, there actually ARE books on that: The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Eskov comes to mind. Unfortunately, a lot of the ridicule seemed to focus on the very idea of asking such things in the first place. On a related note, I recall there being an interview with some Obsidian dev about Tyranny, where he went on to talk about how he went about worldbuilding (something about how if he has cows, he needs to figure out what they will eat, etc. Pretty basic stuff in the same venue as this), yet was ALSO ridiculed for it, over how they waste time thinking about cows instead of making a good game. Now, don't get me wrong, Tyranny was absolute SHIT, but there was, nevertheless, nothing wrong with this approach to worldbuilding.

Cross

Arcane
He was ridiculed for good reason. That comment from GRRM is stupid on several levels. Aragorn is not a main character in The Lord of the Rings and the book isn't about his future reign as a king, it's about destroying the Ring. The book ends when Aragorn becomes king.

The main characters of The Lord of the Rings are the Hobbits, and the book describes in detail how society is structured in the Shire.
He wasn't talking about the plot of the books, he was talking about the setting – in LotR, you have kingdoms that are good because they're good, their kings being good people, and then places like Mordor that are evil because they're ruled by bad people.
There is plenty of ambiguity in Tolkien's work, from the fall of Numenor to the Elves warring amongst each other over the Silmarils to Denethor's downfall.

My point was that Tolkien wrote what was relevant to the story he was telling. That's why 'but muh tax policy' is a very shallow reading of his work.

Codex Year of the Donut
"muh tax policy" isn't shallow criticism, it's stupid criticism.
GRRM is an idiot, what's new.
It's amazing how a guy can make all of his work based off of history without bothering to check how taxation was actually done historically.
I'll even dispute a large part of the argument the guy in the video made: standing, professional armies are a very modern thing. One of the few notable exceptions was the Black Army of Hungary in the 15th century for a sense of how modern it is.
Modern taxation as we understand it was, to the best of my knowledge and with respect to feudal England, largely considered a massive affront.

A hint as to how Aragorn paid for the services rendered: What's the main financial reason the UK still has a monarchy?
Answer that, and you will have your answer as to how Minas Tirith had her streets paved in marble.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wouldn't wizards just create a butthole teleport vortex or DIMENSIONAL DEPENDS to piss/crap at leisure but the waste goes elsewhere?
Imagine living in some dimension which the wizards use as their trash heap.

You're just going about your business and suddenly, a portal opens in your house and two liters of sewage spill onto your new carpet.

Trashos

Arcane
Examples have already been given, and I am adding: In New Vegas, if you choose to assassinate Papa Khan during the Oh My Papa quest, the most convenient way to do it is to find him at the outhouse in the afternoon.

vota DC

Augur
In Elex while exploring you find a lot of toilets sometimes with some situational humor. Plus you can be a dick and steal all the toilet paper (which comes in 2 types: regular and extra smooth, even post-apocalypse is not without certain luxuries).
People piss outside but never poop.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Oxygen Not Included (a base building/colony sim) includes realistic poop gameplay (RPG). In it your characters need to have access to toilets or they end up pissing themselves. If they don't have access to a sink to wash their hands afterward (or if these little bastards skip that step) they can propagate germs which can lead to diseases. The wastes produced needs to be stored and processed with care, for example to avoid polluting your drinking water supply.

Obviously ONI is not an role playing game despite having this in-depth RPG layer. But such thing could be applied to a game like Kenshi, where you also build a base. Not washing after the business done could for example reduce your stealth ability, especially when trying to hide from the not so friendly fauna.
I wanted to try that game out since I like the dev but nobody I know plays it.

PapaPetro

Need more shit eating monsters like the Otyugh.

otyugh.png

Problem solved.
(Or just planeshift crap into the poop dimension)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
In Arx Fatalis you could send goblin honcho to royal toilet with the well prepared cake.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom