Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Which fighting games has best single player content?

Fighting games ganre is PvP animal but how about sp content? Choose, let's say, top 3 titles.

1. MK Deception - classic tower, krypt, Chess Kombat, Puzzle Kombat and last but not least - Konquest mode which is basically standalone, open world geam
2. MK Armageddon - Motor Kombat and again Konquest mode - now in the form of liniear but extremely fun 3D beat'em
3. Street Fighter 3 Alpha (home ports) - World Tour

Honorable mentions - every Midway/NRS geam from MK vs DC 'till MK11 for avesum cinematic story modes and Tekken 3 for Tekken Force.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
Besides it I haven't had the chance to play extensively anything else than the first one in the series, but SoulCalibur 3 had an insane amount of SP content that kept me from touching the PC for months in my quest to see everything it had to offer. The story mode of every character had branching paths depending on your efficiency, secret fights with secret characters in secret arenas with their own secret themes and a lot of stuff to unlock —not just cosmetics but also new fighters (including Valeria) and new weapons attached to new fighting styles.
On top of that there was not just your regular arcade and mission modes but a whole strategy-RPG-fighting-hybrid campaign with a custom character that was like its own game and went leaps and bounds beyond what I expected from the developers.

Among the fighting games I know nothing comes close but I'm not well versed in the genre; good topic, I'll check MK Deception.

Falksi

Arcane
Soul Blade was mint for unlocking the weapons. A lot of that series really dropped the ball with that, but the tasks had really been well thought out and play-tested. It genuinely added a lot of depth.

spectre

Arcane
One Must Fall 2097 is deceptively straightforward at first look, but has tons of SP content.
It all comes open in the Tournament mode, where you basically create your robot pilot from scratch by customizing appearance, then you enter tournaments
for various skill levels to earn money which you can spend to develop your skills and buy/upgrade the robot. Lose too much and you're stuck with the repair bill.

The game opens up once you get to a hidden menu to tweak some gameplay options (from extremelyfast/slow motion combat to enabling juggling)
and when you start performing "fatalities" on opponents, this unlocks hidden characters who get pissed at you scrapping their buddy opening up alternative paths and secret upgrades.

Curratum

I play Soul Calibur 6 mostly for the character editor. It's surprisingly fun to make your own characters.

:lol:

Zenithsan

Educated
I mean, I know that your examples of SP content are like modes and shit. But I could care less about that things.
For me, the SP experience is 100% about the story, world, and characters.
So my vote is for King of Fighters, specifically this one.

ps2_kingoffightersorochi_jp_thumb.jpg

It's a collection, but one grand story.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
The Soul Blade/Calibur series as previously mentioned, but also the Tekken games, specially the home version of 3 which was chock-full of unlockable characters, endings, additional content and mini-games, including a beat 'em up mode.

tekken 3, with all the characters and skins to unlock, and the beach volley and beat em up minigames. also one of the best games ever, with the necessity to know not only your moveset but your opponent's too otherwise you're never going to counterattack or will be caught unprepared with the wrong guard against an unknown combo.

motherfucker

Educated
I liked Skullgirls campaigns and the tutorials were great, not sure how it holds up against older stuff

Generic-Giant-Spider

Soul Calibur 3 had really good single player content, probably the best in the series overall.

MK9/MKX/MK11 have a ton of shit to do in single player from unlockables and story modes and krypts. I personally prefer MK9 because of the 300 level challenge tower thing.

BlazBlue games have some fun distractions in them. I forget which one had Abyss Mode but it was a lot of fun to play.

Killer Instinct has fun modes as well, I particularly liked that Shadow Lords mode they added in for free.

But anyways this is all irrelevant because SINGLE PLAYER FIGHTING GAMES ARE FOR BITCHES. COME TO BRAZIL.

deuxhero

Arcane
Beyond what has already been mentioned:
"Standard" fighting games:
Rival Schools (Nippon version only for some stupid reason)
Sonic Battle (It's surprisingly good for what it is, just wish skill drop rate was higher and some segments were less fillery)

Non-standard fighting games:
Custom Robo series (half Nippon only)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam: Next Plus (Nippon only)

Modron

Arcane
Why not just play something like Shenmue or Hybrid Heaven if you want a singleplayer game with 1 v 1 fights. Or the Yakuza games on the PSP translations should be 100% in the next couple months (okay these aren't 1v1 all the time but rarely ever more than 1v3/4).

Karate Master 2 Knock Down Blow is kind of fun:

Reinhardt

Arcane
nioh with fists

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom