Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
So ME is eternally screwed and a new KotOR is impossible now

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
well despite EA I had a little faith when Karpyshyn rejoined bioware and Hudson coming back later but well he left again before contributing to anything major. So I'm just back to the state of completely not giving a shit

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
well despite EA I had a little faith when Karpyshyn rejoined bioware and Hudson coming back later but well he left again before contributing to anything major. So I'm just back to the state of completely not giving a shit
Nah Hudson is pile shit,that gay can't write to save his life...as he is shown us. Any retard that thinks that splashing three colours on a retarded ending is a good idea,should be executed with passion.

Freddie

Savant
Nah Hudson is pile shit,that gay can't write to save his life...as he is shown us. Any retard that thinks that splashing three colours on a retarded ending is a good idea,should be executed with passion.
Hudson is a producer, not a writer. The three colour ending is all by the courtesy of Super Mac. Hudson had no room to do just go with it at that point of production.

You know what, there's difference between edgy and just some random shit poster who don't know shit.

Max Stats

Liturgist
ME3, and almost none was about the original ending. The tacked on Multiplayer was huge decline in what until then was single player only, but even that wasn't all of it. To me 1 had the gameplay right, 2 had the story right, 3 just shit the bed and shoved shit like Kaiden turning gay (at least they allow that, no Ash lezzing out with femshep tho...) or that stupid pilot whining about his "husband". Made my face damn tired whenever I had to interact with that guy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ME3, and almost none was about the original ending. The tacked on Multiplayer was huge decline in what until then was single player only, but even that wasn't all of it. To me 1 had the gameplay right, 2 had the story right, 3 just shit the bed and shoved shit like Kaiden turning gay (at least they allow that, no Ash lezzing out with femshep tho...) or that stupid pilot whining about his "husband". Made my face damn tired whenever I had to interact with that guy.
Yup,ME3 is total shit. Maybe their worst game because ME 1&2 hype you about C&C and in the end it doesn't mater at all. The game was just like CoD in space and the writing was not very good. Retards just remember one or two good moments and forget hours of corridor slog. ME3 was their chance to have me back after the abysmal DA2,but it was total garbage. After that i never get interested in biowaste games,outside of the drama about how bad they are.

SpoilVictor

Educated
ME2 - I didn't know what disaster ME3 will be, but ME2 showed that under EA Bioware will only spawn utter bullshit filled with spandex clad girls (and boys) to pork. While there was little hope left DA2 came out and I was done for good.

Yes, I bought ME3 to finish trilogy only to see shit like never before. Still waiting for DAI and ME:A to be added to pack of toilet paper so I can suffer while in some BDSM mood.

Ocelot

Learned
Bioware makes a video to combat gender stereotypes in the industry.

Purple background because girls like purple, right?

Flou

Arbiter
Here's my BioWare history:

Baldur's Gate:
Back in 1998/1999, loved it. Preferred it over Fallout for some stupid reason. Now that I look back at it, it wasn't that good. Classic game though and rejuvenated a whole genre. Other games just did it a lot better later on.

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast:
My first disappointment with BioWare, as I was expecting continuation to the Bhaalspawn storyline, not just some stand alone adventure

Baldur's Gate 2:
Still one of my all time favourites. Haven't replayed though, since I think I will look at it more critically now and it will ruin the game for me. And it's just that damn long.

Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal:
Again, a bit disappointed. Sad that the Bhaalspawn saga ended with an expansion rather than a 3rd full game. The end game sucked, when they suddenly took away resting mechanics. Sarevok as a companion still seems somewhat odd decision. I would probably get murdered so badly if I tried replaying this game now.

Neverwinter Nights:
First real disappointment by BioWare. I was expecting something similar to BG series, but with a different story. Instead I got a bad story (from what I remember) that was pretty much solobased game instead of going at it with a group. Never finished the game and didn't buy any of the expansion packs either.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic:
Loved it, even though it was really clunky. Felt the story could have been better as it had those early signs of "psychotic BioWare storytelling". The game just decides for you what the outcome is, even though it is playing out differently on your screen. I was beating the big baddie, but then the game forces me to flee the fight because I was supposedly getting beat heavily.

Jade Empire:
Never managed to finish this. Didn't find the setting interesting and the combat felt horrible to me (back then at least). Got bored out of my mind and I think I switched over to Mass Effect

Mass Effect:
Bought an XBOX just to play it. Loved it with some criticism. First signs of recycling assets to make the game feel bigger than it is. Mako parts were just awful and boring. Story even though it was kinda recycled the BioWare storytelling way, was enjoyable.

Dragon Age: Origins
I thought BioWare was finally doing great games again when I played this. Finished it twice and had a lot of fun even though some design choices weren't that good. A guy I knew back then even got a DA tattoo.... which he regretted after the 2nd game.

Dragon Age: Awakenings
Had fun playing it even though the game decided to bug out my choices from Origins.

Mass Effect 2:
Bit torn about my feelings for the game. I didn't mind the more actiony gameplay, but the storyline didn't seem to make much sense half the time. The game forced me to join hands with evil doers and I really couldn't do anything about it. Working for/with Cerberus just felt like a weird choice to go with the story. The boss fight in the end was just stupid.

Dragon Age 2:
Recycled maps, spawns out of nowhere ruining any tactical decisions you make during a fight, mmo-like boss fights and psychotic storyline that made no sense at all. Way to ruin the saga. Finished once and left a bitter taste in my mouth that still hasn't left.

Star Wars: The Old Republic
Loved parts of it and hated some parts of it. Some storylines were great, especially the personal quests. But the amount of shitty filler was just staggering and ruined much of the game. Alien voice over was so much recycled we could guess what each species would say over voice over even though the text was showing something completely else. PvP was just pure awfulness. My computer froze up everytime a Jedi walked even near my character making any attempts at PvP just horrible. End game felt just bad, mechanically at least. Bit saddened that the game was in such a half finished state back then, I could have definately enjoyed it more had they actually finished the end game and raid mechanics before release.

Mass Effect 3:
Oh boy... Loved it, then felt betrayed by the game. Choices really didn't matter at all that you made. It was always a little nudge (Remember this?!) at things that had happened before. Nothing made much difference. Worst ending I've ever seen. I know other games have had you choose a button to push to decide the ending. But after 3 long games and otherwise pretty boring end game, it just was too much. Haven't bought or played any BioWare games since.

Last edited:
Split between DA2 and ME2. I acquired DA2 from Swedish sellers, because after the initial previews I knew it would be shit, I just didn't know how big, smelly and awful the turd will be. Well, it managed to exceed my expectation by a mile. Enemies climbing down the ropes from thin air, retarded encounter design, *very* retarded dialogues, stupid party members (except maybe Varric), and magnificently idiotic plot. Even the visual design and graphics was way worse than in DA:O, and it wasn't a high bar.
Still, because they have two different teams, I thought that maybe ME3 will be safe. I enjoyed the first two as cinematic B-movie sci-fi action/adventure with guns, and minor C&C. Not RPGs, but still enjoyable games. I wanted to see my FemShep's story concluded in satisfying manner. Instead I got WAR IS HELL, DO YOU KNOW THAT WAR IS HELL, DO YOU? And also THREE COLORED ROCKS FALL, EVERYBODY SHEPPARD DIES. Oh, and magnificently retarded reason for the whole Reaper conflict, and by destroying mass relays player dooms both your species and the others, stranded on ravaged Earth, etc, etc. If they wanted a Pyrrhic victory, they could've gone by the way of Freespace 2 ending, and not this shit. Oh well.

So ME3 was the last of their games for me, although I acquired Andromeda from Swedish just to see if the game was as bad as it was in the vids. It was, so I uninstalled it after two hours of gameplay. Probably won't even bother with Swedish sellers from now on, they are dead to me.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
What's a Bioware? No, seriously. The first and the last game I had displeasure playing was Mass Effect. It just felt like a waste of time. UE3 third person action game, times three, only bloated by not-space rangers galaxy map and fanfic-tier codex entries.

Sounds like complete opposite to anything bio, anything having to do something life, to soul. At least B*thesda have hitted square on the money with company's name. Their games are mechanical and looped like a clockwork mechanism.

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
DA:O closed the door on my fandom for Bioware... seemed like they were trying really hard to make the sort of game I liked again, but it just fell short in so many aspects, particularly creativity, and some of their now-standardized gameplay implementations (like the 'traveling campfire/ship/hq where you talk to your companions and advance their storylines') had gone beyond stale.

But if they'd followed DA:O with something that addressed those issues, I would have probably been willing to wave it off as growth pains. Instead, ME2 and DA2 came along and nailed that door shuit.

They had their ups and downs in the 00s(nwn was their worst) but the 3 consecutive flops of DA2-ME3-DA3 killed any interest I could have in even following news about their next games, aside from schadenfreude.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I liked both BG games(not as much as some other people did), didn't like TOB at all but that was only an expansion so whatever.

Didn't like NWN or any of it's expansions(got the platnium edition when it came out or else I would of never bought the expansions).

Didn't like ME, felt way too cheesy and dramatic but I still beat it since it was so short.

Didn't like KOTOR but I only played it like 5 years after it came out.

I got DAO for free as a gift and thought in terms of actual artistic design and writing it was one of the worst rpg's/games in general I'd played till that point, only played it for a few hours so can't comment on the gameplay.

Never played any of their games since then, never played JE, as for the OP prolly NWN but ME was what made me never want to play another of their games.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DA 2. Didn't even finish it. Made me hold off on MA:3. Even if MA:3 came out on GOG for a £1, I still don't think I'd bother - the ending would ruin 1 & 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom