Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game of the new "batch" of tacticools is the best?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Suddenly we got a few of them together. Namely

- XCOM Chimera
- Gears Tactics
- Fort Triumph
- Troubleshooter

I'm in the mood to play one of them but can't decide which one. What is Codex thinking? Which one is the best? Does one of them offer a more significant gaming experience that the others?
(No poll, I'd prefer a discussion)

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played Chimera, it's ok when you don't pay attention to writing and all the SJWness. Not a single white male in the game, I really feel excluded. Game is basically a smaller scale XCOM2, with the breach mechanic on top (that gets repetitive quite soon). Research is simplified, and strategical layer is almost non-existent. But I had fun playing it. There's more in https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/xcom-chimera-squad-humans-and-aliens-team-up.132614

Gears Tactics looks too expensive, and is probably xbox pass bait. Will wait for it to drop, or get a month of that pass.

Fort Triumph setting and graphics look off-putting to me.

Troubleshooter looks too weaboo for me.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Chimera.
I have not tried it, so can't say anything about it.

Fort Triumph.
It has only 4 classes and overall simpler gameplay, so it's outclassed by every other game in the list.

Gears Tactics.
I have not gotten too far yet, but the combat has a certain puzzle feel to it.
Like you have to find a proper way to "solve" missions perfectly - make sure to keep a grenade for an e-hole here, place an overwatch there - that sort of thing.
And you can only field 4 characters, that's kinda limiting.

Troubleshooter.
The main (only?) real downside of the game is being too anime-like, so monocled players don't even give it a second look.
But sheer amount of different mechanics, character build options and synergies, is far greater than in any other game listed here.
The same goes for map sizes, team sizes, mission varieties.

If I had to rank them by tactical complexity, I'd say Troubleshooter > Gears > Chimera > Fort.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I know we have threads for each game but it's hard to tell what's better or not so far.
My impressions are like this:

Chimera: "OK" for what it is, anti-SJW crew is triggered, not much replayability
Gears Tactics: Nice looking, fluid combat, coolness factor is high, but barebones other than that
Fort Triumph: A decent game hidden behind cartoony silliness?
Troubleshooter: If you can tolerate the weaboo stuff, it's maybe the most promising one? Lots of content, good combat and progress? And a "decent" story too?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Chimera: "OK" for what it is, anti-SJW crew is triggered, not much replayability
Gears Tactics: Nice looking, fluid combat, coolness factor is high, but barebones other than that
Fort Triumph: A decent game hidden behind cartoony silliness?
Troubleshooter: If you can tolerate the weaboo stuff, it's maybe the most promising one? Lots of content, good combat and progress? And a "decent" story too?

Chimera: I haven't tried it yet, but it seems rather promising as a short spin-off except for the story [and the lack of disposable random characters].
Gear Tactics: I'll be able to give my opinion when it will be down to 15€
Fort Triumph: It's not only the cartoony silliness, if feels "grindy", and collapsing cover on each other feels odd real fast.
Troubleshooter: No idea.

Have you played Mordheim, Warbanners or Stormguard: Darkness is coming?
All were pretty good Battle Brother like games (that did some things better and other worse).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Loved Mordheim but I already played it quite a bit and it does become very repetitive after a while.
Warbanners... I can't get past the graphical style. I know, I know graphics whore but something about it just doesnt do it for me
Stormguard was in my radar but I thought it wasnt very good when it released. You liked it?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Loved Mordheim but I already played it quite a bit and it does become very repetitive after a while.
Warbanners... I can't get past the graphical style. I know, I know graphics whore but something about it just doesnt do it for me
Stormguard was in my radar but I thought it wasnt very good when it released. You liked it?
Stormguard lacks variety and polish (I think 99% battles are 4 vs 4 or something like that), but it had quite a few interesting battles (it could be considered similar to Adeptus MEchanicus or a tactical take on Darkest Dungeon: you go through "expeditions" and chain all battles until you win or withdraw, go back to upgrade your base, and select another expedition).
But it may feel repetitive too (it is hard to train extra characters, so you don't get much variety in this department, and almost all battles are 4v4 iirc).
So I'd say it is flawed, but still interesting. That said, if you don't like the look of Warbanners, Stormguard is made with stock unity assets.
Low magic Age is probably better, though (it has a similar dungeons mechanism in adventure mode now.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Chimera is pretty neat for a small size game, cheap too. But currently it's very buggy and needs some patches.

Gear tactics is great combat wise, also the hardest of them all. But there is barely anything outside the combat.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
So I actually went for Troubleshooter and I will also get Fell Seal, when the DLC comes out.
Troubleshooter is great btw. SO MANY options and stats and abilities, it's crazy. You can get easily overwhelmed initially but when you get a grasp of it, it's great fun.
Also has a decent story.
The issues are weabooness and translation but they are both in a very torelable level for me personally.
I recommend it 100%

pm_675

Arbiter
So I actually went for Troubleshooter and I will also get Fell Seal, when the DLC comes out.
Troubleshooter is great btw. SO MANY options and stats and abilities, it's crazy. You can get easily overwhelmed initially but when you get a grasp of it, it's great fun.
Also has a decent story.
The issues are weabooness and translation but they are both in a very torelable level for me personally.
I recommend it 100%

Fuck, yeah. This thread made aware of this game and is probably the game I enjoyed more playing in a year.

Even if you hate the anime style give it a chance. It's probably one of the better tactics game in years

Silly Germans

Are any of the dlcs for Mordheim good/required or is the base game everything you need ?

pm_675

Arbiter
Are any of the dlcs for Mordheim good/required or is the base game everything you need ?

The base game is all you require. The dlcs only give you a new warband or units. Nice to have but not essential or required, especially in your first playthrough.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
People enthusiastic about Troubleshooter made me take the plunge. Impressions so far (around 20mins of tutorial):
1. combat system looks quite rich
2. the engrish is strong with this one, and text showing up letter by letter is super fucking annoying
3. playing this makes me feel like watching japanese action cartoons on Polonia 1 when I was a kid

Going to play more and make judgement at 2h whether to get a refund or not.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
2. the engrish is strong with this one, and text showing up letter by letter is super fucking annoying
You can instantly get the text by pressing space if I remember correctly (might be other key, I can't try it out now)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Urtuk. Play it.

Anyone looking to play Mordheim - I've been playing this shit for a hundred of hours by now - here's the "protip" : play it with a speed hack, it's really a must as the game has no decent speed up option (one could argue that the base speed of the game makes it unplayable).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Urtuk. Play it.

Anyone looking to play Mordheim - I've been playing this shit for a hundred of hours by now - here's the "protip" : play it with a speed hack, it's really a must as the game has no decent speed up option (one could argue that the base speed of the game makes it unplayable).
Indeed, to this day, I am still baffled by the number of games that want to force their "ponderous animations that gives a sense of weight" on the player.
Deadwatch 40k is even worse in this regard (and is a game I cannot recommend enough, even though it suffers from massive flaws, on top of the aforementioned animation speed, like WTF were they thinking with the mobile F2P grade loot system?).

Lemming42

Arcane
Gears Tactics is fun so far, I've never even played a Gears of War game but I like this. Fort Triumph isn't really worth it, it's almost entirely about knocking everyone into physics objects and kicking shit over onto people.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am Not a Monster was an extremely good surprise, mid way between a puzzle game and a tactical squad game.

https://af.gog.com/game/i_am_not_a_monster_first_contact?as=1649904300
This looks interesting. Thanks for bringing it up.
Yeah, it is a very smart game. The beginning of the game is a bit too puzzle and the enemies are only one type and melee so a bit boring, but from the moment the other side starts using guns it is REALLY cool, and sometimes you pull some beautiful Into The Breach move in the middle of an otherwise tactical combat (the game is WEGO so for instance you may do a « swap teleport » with an enemy that will suddenly on the receiving side of his buddy grenade AND put you in a position to hit several enemy at the next time with the laser weapon that go through anything).

It is a chain of scenarios along a (very cool) story, so no strategic decision, the only thing you carry over is your equipment.

Each character has 2 weapons 2 support items but then combination of weapons and support item creates « special action » for instance if you have a grenade launcher and a kinetic rifle as weapons, and a teleporter and healing kit as support items, you can have as special action :
- Healing grenade (grenade launcher + healing kit)
- Healing dart (rifle + healing kit)
- Explosive teleportation (you teleport leaving an explosion behind you, beware FF) : grenade launcher + teleport
- Swap teleport with another character enemy or not : Rifle + teleport

Since the game is WEGO, some turn resolutions can be really funny, especially those based on teleports (or even better swap teleport), mind control or blocking enemy movements.

They are a lot of weapons, quite a few support items too and thus a lot of special actions (though items of the same general category will create the same effect : both the kinetic pistols and the kinetic rifles will create the same effect with a medical kit, but not the submachine gun or the laser rifles).
You keep finding new equipments until almost literally the end of the game, though sadly it also means that part of the early equipment becomes fully obsolete (the pistols in particular have no advantage vs their rifle version, except the most powerful handgun). Some of the « special actions » are based on super rare combinations though and you will find new effects until almost the end of the game.

Except for obsolescence, the one problem I had was that weapons and items have an initiative order that is indicated nowhere and that you will have to learn as you play. For instance, EMP weapons shoot first, then teleports play, then shielding, then the rest of the weapons. Mind control and other psy powers are somewhere in between but not sure where.

In addition to the weapons, each character that you can play (you play from 1 to 6 characters in missions, plus sometimes AI allies) have special skills going from boring (like the only skill of the nurse is a bonus to her heal) to the gamechanging (double damage but half the range) or just really cool (ruthless => « does not lose morale when humans die »). Same for the unique items that go from « why do you waste a slot on that shit » to game changing (one of the character is an actress that has an item that allows her to change character... the character she chooses to act as determines her skills).

Combat is as I said WEGO : one shoot action one move action IN THAT ORDER (or two move actions). Everyone has 100 hp, all hit are deterministic (if you attack an enemy you will hit it and you will cause your weapon damage... except if the target teleports before you shoot that is). Cover means half damage, and other items/skills decrease or nullify damage even more. Lots of civilian casualties to avoid. You can sneak, and ambushing the enemy from ambush position is double damage. A PC that drops to 0 hp becomes unconscious but can be revived during the combat, a NPC at 0 HP is dead. Enemies, at least those who use weapons, are smart and will use cover, grenades, flanking and healers, but not teleport).

Finally, I should state that the campaign is really cool :
- Relatively well written, a parody of Star Trek and the pulp stories from the 50ies,
- All aboard a starship, some of the locations of that ships will be visited several times but will be more and more degraded as time passes. Human survivors will be rarer and rarer,
- You have a cast of PC characters, maybe 12 of them in total, with new characters appearing and other, well, dieing as per the scenario. They are real tropes of Pulp Action characters so fun (the brainless actress, the dashing spaceman, the corrupted mercenary, the pointy-ear warrior-race alien,...)

Mission design goes from the incredibly good (eg : heavy combat mission where you have a limited number of turns to reach the air purifier while under fire from all sides BUT not by an infinite number of enemies so you can really balance “killing as much as possible and reach the air purifier just in time “ vs “beeline or possibly sneak to the purifier then kill everyone”) to the really boring (bad puzzles where you must sneak around, or where you need to cross area where everything gets destroyed every three turns),

Missions can also go from the trivially easy (defend a position from attack when you have a machine gun, cover and NPC characters on your side) to the insanely hard (save humans before they all get killed AND bring them to the evacuation point where they still can get attacked). For super difficult missions like this, keep in mind that you can create turrets and order spider bots to guard a place with some of the fairly accessible « special actions »).

In short, I had a lot of fun in roughly 33% of the game, some good fun in another 33%, and the rest was either boring (for boring but easy missions) or dreadful (for boring but hard missions).

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom