Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Which is better, Fallout: New Vegas or Fallout 4?

Choose one or more:

• Total voters

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So you actually know what a "worst" game looks like. I hate Bethesda because their games are just mindless loot shooters instead of RPG's but they do that well enough to not be called "worst game ever".
I like other Bethesda games, even Skyrim. Just Fallout 4 is shit. You're right though the worst game ever is still Divinity Original Sin 2 :positive:

The eerie desolate atmosphere (and soundtrack) was replaced by cowboy yabadabadoo shit and explosions

Bethesda's games past Arena/Daggerfall have always had poor atmosphere imo mostly because of their weak ambience. Their games are much more silent than they need to be and the empty space needs to be filled with either music in TES or the radio in Fallout. The complete lack of tension makes it hard too, a dungeon can't be atmospheric when it's an easy bright straight line that has no test of skill, only a test of how many potions you remembered to bring. (Again this wasn't an issue in the first two games, since the dungeons were complete fucking nightmares to navigate, even if they weren't explicitly difficult.)

If you like Skyrim then you bought it and are probably part of the problem. Enjoy your shitty adventure game where you can be everything at once. I did hear D:OS 2 was trash but I have not played it yet. I mean at least it is turnbased.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
If you like Skyrim then you bought it and are probably part of the problem. Enjoy your shitty adventure game where you can be everything at once. I did hear D:OS 2 was trash but I have not played it yet. I mean at least it is turnbased.
Of course I bought it, I was 11. 11 year olds can't help but love decline. But that was 10 years ago and I've gone to rehab and things are getting better.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Fallout 4 had better wandering. It was a better walking simulator. Building up the town was a cool idea but executed terribly.
New Vegas had better encounters and stuff to do once you got somewhere.
There was one story/quest in Fallout 4 that was really interesting. I don't really remember the rest of them.
I wish both had more weird stuff, like the centaur mutants. Too many vanilla humans and ghouls.
New Vegas is the better game overall.

DeepOcean

Arcane
New Vegas was still trying to be a RPG, ended being a great RPG with a great setting, world building and quests with shit gameplay because of Fallout 3 engine, Fallout 4 is just a bastard looter shooter with slightly better shooting than New Vegas but terrible everything else.

Alphons

Cipher
Another settlement needs your help, General!

SARCASTIC <-I->HATE NEWSPAPERS

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Fallout 4 had an actually good quest. Let me spoil it.

There's this main quest plotline about the Institute sending pseudo-human replicants to serve as sleeper agent assassins and spies (aka Manchurian candidates). With well-fabricated memories, human or superhuman-level strength, dexterity, human-level social and psychological behavior etc. Then they get the order in a non-detectable way, then and kill inerrantly the person they were after in public. Once the person is dead, the entire assassin Replicant is fully expendable.

So there's this minor optional faction that's trying to perfect a Voight-Kampf-style test. You already know how this works. There's a single question that matters, nine others are fake. There are 4 positions in baseball according to the game (apparently so, I don't know the rules). Synths all answer 'catcher'. But some humans do too.

Let's assume that the false positive rate is exactly 10%: Synth assassins are VERY rare. Let's assume there's one assassin per 1000 people who need to be tested. You have to kill 100 people to get one assassin. This is too big to do covertly. They need a better test, with a lower false positive rate.

Except the false positive rate is actually 30%. Oops.

To do that, they established a commune that basically welcomes drifters who are willing to work as well as to avoid drugs or alcohol. The commune is so rich and clean and nice that it looks more like 50's suburbs than a commune. Obviously they have an outside source of funding based on the common interest of detecting sleeper assassins through a simple 10-question 'psychological test'.

Then they torture the unwitting drifters and kill them to try to improve the test. Thing is, they've reached a plateau with regard to the false positive rate but they're trying to apply the same methodology to kill more and more people. It doesn't work, and they don't try to come up with better questions to ask. Rather, they just keep kidnapping people. It's been going on for a long while now.

Kill people, try to improve the test by an amount that's indistinguishable from random chance. They're getting desperate and nothing else works but the stupid pitcher thing. Obviously it's a whole organization and they can't just throw in the towel. They have to pretend they're doing something.

So you can shoot up their secret torture compound while learning all this from interviews during torture subjects and computer logs.

This is actually smarter than probably all of NV.

Things like the Bayesian fallacy, diminishing returns, exact percentage chance, that they're being funded by someone with lots of resources... It doesn't even come up, you have to piece it together to get the whole picture.

This is actually better writing storyfaggotry-wise than most of all F:NV quests. Combat-wise too, F:NV was horribly clunky with FO3 gunplay.

I think their writers are a lot better at sci-fi than Fallout-style post-apoc faction and settlement politics. That's why the game jumped the shark going into not-too-campy sci-fi stuff like Replicants (that are also capable of empathy unlike DADOES/BR), older ones fully mechanical with fake skin, newer ones so good that even a faction like FO1's BoS would find it very difficult, costly and time-consuming to test people on any production scale...

So since Starfield is going to be scifi based, the writing might actually be good provided they still have their FO4 writers.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout 4 is a classic Bethesda game like Fallout 3.

Shit story and writings. Both F3 and F4 has suckee quest writings as well as backstory. If you think its writings are good your sense just get exposed~ I like F3 as in the general directions, general ideas, but the actual writings suck so much ghoul ass.

Confused art style. At least F3 follow the retrofuturism post apocalyptic style to the end. F4 drop the post apocalyptic part, and follow partly the retrofuturism (by introduce the stupid 50s style). The dumb millenia players dont know any better so they eat that up, but anyone older with any sense can realize the PUBG art style clash badly with the theme of a world after apocalypse.

The gameplay aspect save all that, though. This is same as F3 as in F4.

This long article to say that obviously Fallout New Vegas beat both of them like redhead stepchildren. And obviously Codexers should like FNV better than either F3 and F4 too, because we has an innate preference for story-heavy RPG.

cpmartins

Cipher

There's this main quest plotline about the Institute sending pseudo-human replicants to serve as sleeper agent assassins and spies (aka Manchurian candidates). With well-fabricated memories, human or superhuman-level strength, dexterity, human-level social and psychological behavior etc. Then they get the order in a non-detectable way, then and kill inerrantly the person they were after in public. Once the person is dead, the entire assassin Replicant is fully expendable.

So there's this minor optional faction that's trying to perfect a Voight-Kampf-style test. You already know how this works. There's a single question that matters, nine others are fake. There are 4 positions in baseball according to the game (apparently so, I don't know the rules). Synths all answer 'catcher'. But some humans do too.

Let's assume that the false positive rate is exactly 10%: Synth assassins are VERY rare. Let's assume there's one assassin per 1000 people who need to be tested. You have to kill 100 people to get one assassin. This is too big to do covertly. They need a better test, with a lower false positive rate.

To do that, they established a commune that basically welcomes drifters who are willing to work as well as to avoid drugs or alcohol. The commune is so rich and clean and nice that it looks more like 50's suburbs than a commune. Obviously they have an outside source of funding based on the common interest of detecting sleeper assassins through a simple 10-question 'psychological test'.

Then they torture the unwitting drifters and kill them to try to improve the test. Thing is, they've reached a plateau with regard to the false positive rate but they're trying to apply the same methodology to kill more and more people. It doesn't work, and they don't try to come up with better questions to ask. Rather, they just keep kidnapping people. It's been going on for a long while now.

Kill people, try to improve the test by an amount that's indistinguishable from random chance. They're getting desperate and nothing else works but the stupid pitcher thing. Obviously it's a whole organization and they can't just throw in the towel. They have to pretend they're doing something.

So you can shoot up their secret torture compound while learning all this from interviews during torture subjects and computer logs.

Things like the Bayesian fallacy, diminishing returns, exact percentage chance, that they're being funded by someone with lots of resources... It doesn't even come up, you have to piece it together to get the whole picture.

This is actually better writing storyfaggotry-wise than most of all F:NV quests. Combat-wise too, F:NV was horribly clunky with FO3 gunplay.

I think their writers are a lot better at sci-fi than Fallout-style post-apoc faction and settlement politics. That's why the game jumped the shark going into not-too-campy sci-fi stuff like Replicants (that are also capable of empathy unlike DADOES/BR), older ones fully mechanical with fake skin, newer ones so good that even a faction like FO1's BoS would find it very difficult, costly and time-consuming to test people on any production scale...

So since Starfield is going to be scifi based, the writing might actually be good provided they still have their FO4 writers.
Absolutely and utterly retarded. Detecting synth would be trivial to anyone with a medical scanner of even remotely decent quality. As always, retesdard shines on being a shit developer with a bunch of moronic writers shitting out this kind of stupidity.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

You're way overthinking it. They wanted a reference to the GOAT test from Fallout 3, and somebody remembered the Voight-Kampf test from Blade Runner. Except the Voight-Kampf test actually makes sense because it's used to test for emotional responses. The business at Covenant is completely random and makes no sense. How did they find out that synths are more likely to answer "Catcher"? Why have 10 questions in the test when only 1 of them matters? Why are the questions random instead of probing for something as in Blade Runner? Why not have more than 4 options for each question, to reduce the chance of a false positive (lol, we know the answer to this one of course)?

This actually was a great opportunity for Fallout 4 to examine the psychology of synths. Design some questions that synths are more likely to answer in a certain way for psychological reasons ("You have a wounded child and a wounded fighting-age man. You only have enough resources to save one of them from death. Whom do you save?"). Instead they just did lazy random nonsense that doesn't invite the player to think about it any deeper. Bog standard Bethesda-tier writing where they piss away potential for interesting scenarios.

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Absolutely and utterly retarded. Detecting synth would be trivial to anyone with a medical scanner of even remotely decent quality.
They're Blade Runner replicants. They have largely human-like organs and you can only feasiblyy test them after killing them.
How did they find out that synths are more likely to answer "Catcher"?
Maybe they had someone they KNEW was a synth beause of a coincidence or espionage. Maybe they experimented on old mechanical synth models that didn't know they were synths somehow. (whose neural architecture is similar to the biological one for newest synths, hypothetically). A guard talked to them about baseball and they reacted strangely. So they made the only real progress by a complete coincidence.
Why have 10 questions in the test when only 1 of them matters?
Why are the questions random instead of probing for something as in Blade Runner?
To get them in a predictable mood.

Because that extrmeely lucky catcher question coincidence is all they've got for bio synch testing.
This actually was a great opportunity for Fallout 4 to examine the psychology of synths.
Their writers aren't that good. They can do derivative homages to sci-fi classics barely passably but suck at writing in general. See Skyrim disneyland or Fallout 3 NPCs talking to the PC as if he was a retarded child (and they were retarded too).
Why not have more than 4 options for each question, to reduce the chance of a false positive (lol, we know the answer to this one of course)?
Four positions in baseball (probably, I don't know the rules).
somebody remembered the Voight-Kampf test from Blade Runner.
Well, they added the Bayesian fallacy to the test thus making it interesting rather than too derivative (YMMV). In BR it actually had no false positives (except for sociopaths, narcissists etc).

cpmartins

Cipher
All gen 3 synths are based on Shauns DNA, ergo, easily identifiable by the most basic gene ident tech available. I guess bethesdards can't into technology.
I was correct.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout 4 has much better graphics and gunplay. Far more compelling exploration. But it's no RPG.

Bethesda also created a problem (so much pointless junk to loot in Fallout 3) and they doubled down on it by "solving" it, encouraging the player to loot all that pointless crap to craft weapons, armor, chems, settlement stuff.
There's just so much loot. This is the same problem I had with The Witcher III: so much pointless stuff you can pick up that has no purpose whatsoever. Except in Fallout 4 it does have a purpose, even if hamfisted. It takes ages to clear out any location because of how much stuff there is to grab.

I'm not going to say I think New Vegas is the better game, but it's without a doubt the superior RPG with the superior RPG mechanics and much, much more thoughtful factions and dialogues.

Fallout 4 is just a very tiresome game. Survival spices things up, but unless you use a mod that allows you to fast travel, enjoy spending hundreds of artificial hours into the game.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah honestly I don't know what you expected posting a poll like that on the Codex.

Kedar

Educated
Except in Fallout 4 it does have a purpose, even if hamfisted. It takes ages to clear out any location because of how much stuff there is to grab.
It's even worse in 76. I don't play a strong character, so I just collect trash and then walk slowly to my camp as I am encumbered. It's more of a bum simulator than the actual Bum Simulator.

goregasm

Scholar
I enjoy Frost for Fallout 4, but didn't care too much for the base game. It was a marked improvement from 3 in my opinion, definitely had some fun parts. The town where you meet that buzz lightyear BoS faggot and hold off ghouls comes to mind as a good part.

As far as 4 compared to FNV it's not even close, FNV is miles better in everything except graphics.

New Vegas was probably the best Obsidian game. At the very least, the only one where even when they couldn't keep themselves from shitting the bed, since it's an Obsidian production after all, it was bearable and sometimes even cute. Like you'd think this is a game made by human beings, there's a hand designing this. Some quests are pretty good too. In 3 and 4, anything remotely enjoyable you find is an accident.

Zlaja

Arcane
Number of replays:

New Vegas - 2
Fallout 4 - 0

I think the main problem with F4 is not the stupid main quest, or the dialog wheel and other dumbed down shit, but rather the abysmal factions. All interactions with them were so lackluster and boring. I never felt like I wanted to join any of them, even for a second.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom