Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these are the best games of the CRPG revival? [Sep 2021 Edition]

Multiple votes allowed: Choose all that meet the criteria of being 'good'

• Legend of Grimrock 1

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Legend of Grimrock 2

Votes: 28 17.2%
  • Expidtions: Conquistador

Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Expiditions: Viking

Votes: 29 17.8%
  • Shadowrun Returns

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Votes: 62 38.0%
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• The Banner Saga 1

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Banner Saga 2

• The Banner Saga 3

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 1

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 33 20.2%
  • Wasteland 2

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Wasteland 3

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • Pillars of Eternity 1

• Pillars of Eternity 2

• Age of Decadence

Votes: 70 42.9%
  • UnderRail

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Dungeon Rats

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • Tyranny

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • ELEX 1

Votes: 30 18.4%
  • ATOM RPG

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • The Bard's Tale 4

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Votes: 68 41.7%
  • Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Votes: 46 28.2%
  • Kenshi 1

Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • The Outer Worlds 1

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Operencia: The Stolen Sun

• Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Votes: 14 8.6%
  • Encased: A Sci-Fi Post-Apocalyptic RPG

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Monomyth

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Kenshi 2

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - ELEX 2

Votes: 22 13.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Colony Ship

Votes: 47 28.8%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Vagrus: The Riven Realms

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Avowed

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Black Geyser

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Prometheus Wept

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Stoneshard

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - The Hand of Merlin

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Dragon Age 4

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Mass Effect 5

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - KOTOR Remake

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - Starfield

• BONUS POLL / MOST PROMISING UPCOMING - VTMB 2

• Total voters

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
Did they inspire you? Were you compelled to finish, or did you get bored? Was it laborious work you forced on yourself, or was it a genuine joy to play? Do you still remember interesting ideas and details long after? Did Underworld Ascendant or The Bard's Tale 4 ever get fixed? Is there anything good in the D&D or Pathfinder games like Solasta? Are there in fact any truly great games among them? What were positive trends, what were negative ones, and what commended particular games?

I know the list probably isn't authoritative in scope, apologies for that, please choose from whatever is there, because it's just an informal gathering of the mood and consensus.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Since the thread title is "which are the best", I chose to ignore the poll question of "choose all that are good" and decided to stick with the best. Picked:

Grimrock 2 - a fantastic game of mystery and exploration
Expeditions: Viking - very well-researched, well-written and overall very cool viking sim that manages to stand out as unique among the sea of norse-inspired media
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - best of the Shadowrun games and, on reflection, perhaps even one of the best games on the list when it comes to the "overall package" (even if the exploration is non-existent)
Divinity: Original Sin 1 - with the caveat that this is the non-"enhanced" edition. Had massive fun with it in coop, especially since it gave me massive Guild Wars flashbacks, except turn-based. Too bad the enhanced edition ruined it
AoD - I still stand by my claims that AoD is a one-of-a-kind game
Dungeon Rats - AoD beat 'em up, what's not to like.
Grimoire - The legend. There is something immensely ironic about the fact that once Grimoire used to be a total meme game and a synonym for a scam or vapourware, when it turned out to be one of the best blobbers in existence. I would even risk ranking it ex aequo with my favourite of all time, which is Wiz8.
ELEX - The game that showed Piranha Bytes still have it.

Bonus poll:

ELEX 2 - DUH

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I didn't play a single of those games more than 5-10 hours. 10h was AoD and nothing else.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something fake and utterly boring about these games.

Very hypocritical of you to put TToN in the list, but not Disco. Disco did something new and inspired a lot of games to follow their example. It was actually a mini revolution. "BG"3 borrowed its dialogues with dice. Colony Ship borrowed its dialogue UI. I expect some games to borrow the inner dialogues. It was the only post-2004 RPG I loved.

Last edited:

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like Grimoire, what I've played of Age of Decadence and Expeditions: Vikings.
Calling this relatively recent trend a renaissance as the above linked poll does is kind of absurd though; in most (but not all) cases it is a slight design and marketing reorientation capitalizing on a narrow window of generational nostalgia. The Carolingians, the Florentines and Venetians of the past turning towards classical antiquity after centuries of loss of literary, medicinal, architectural, scientific, artistic &c knowledge were renaissances that profoundly reshaped their respective cultures on practically every level.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
and the most promising new RPGs are Space Wreck, KotC 2 and Mechajammer IMO. Now that Realms Beyond and Sigil are dead.

Codex Year of the Donut
Divinity: Original Sin 1 - with the caveat that this is the non-"enhanced" edition. Had massive fun with it in coop, especially since it gave me massive Guild Wars flashbacks, except turn-based. Too bad the enhanced edition ruined it
I always find the EE hate amusing because it confirms what I already know: most of the codex plays games on easy difficulty. EE added Tactician difficulty, without that you might as well not even play it.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I always find the EE hate amusing because it confirms what I already know: most of the codex plays games on easy difficulty. EE added Tactician difficulty, without that you might as well not even play it.

Plus Tactician difficulty actually changed some encounters too. It was way better in 1 than 2 (where it just was HP bloat and some "AI refinements").

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
There a recent games in the Codex Top 101 which aren't in the poll, like Lords of Xulima.

Also, no Blackguards? GTFO with that shitty poll

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Non-EE DOS1 was harder than EE tactician.

The EE completely defanged the game, and the final bossfight is the best example of that.

Codex Year of the Donut

Non-EE DOS1 was harder than EE tactician.
No, it wasn't. But good cope though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A significant number of fights in vanilla DOS1 gave me trouble, while the EE I breezed through on tactician. Nice try, though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's a boatload of difference between a game being naturally easier on a subsequent playthrough when you are used to the content, and when it is nerfed to hell. I already noted it in my final impressions in 2016 that the EE felt 'significantly' easier than the OG. This is not something that happens just through familiarity.

Again, take the final boss. In EE tactician the void dragon has a measly 3500 hp compared to the OG's 15000 or something (it was over 10k for sure), and you even get an additional strong NPC to help.

I also have very clear memories of the major battles in chapter 1 - like the bone baron or braccus rex - being total walkovers in the EE, to the degree that I'd beat them on first try without breaking a sweat.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There a recent games in the Codex Top 101 which aren't in the poll, like Lords of Xulima.

Also, no Blackguards? GTFO with that shitty poll
Forgot about Xulima, good one. One of the few games I like without having to qualify or excuse myself for.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Shadowrun has disturbingly high amount of votes...

the fuck is that shit. :prosper:

On top of that, Braindead's Shadowrun are barely RPG if at all...
They're Tactical RPG, which is a different genre (Like Fantasy General, Incubation, Dungeon Rats, Shining Force and the likes...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom