Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which programming language did you choose and why?

Arbiter

Scholar
I've been coding in Java for a while and really love IntelliJ. What's the equivalent IDE for C++? I'll be jumping to learning C++ soon.

C++ Lion is a commercial IDE built on top of IntelliJ IDEA. If you prefer something free, you can try Visual Studio Code.

Hobknobling

Learned
C#. The Swiss army knife of programming. Java, but better.

C# and the .NET ecosystem is basically the only good modern thing Microsoft has built.

Arbiter

Scholar
C#. The Swiss army knife of programming. Java, but better.

C# and the .NET ecosystem is basically the only good modern thing Microsoft has built.

I strongly disagree:
Fragmented: .NET vs .NET Core
Telemetry
Not even Microsoft believes in it, Azure pipelines are implemented in NodeJs

Yeah, C# is meh... It's basically Java but made by Microsoft, and for whatever reason, the average C# developer is always several times worse than the average Java developer.

I feel like it's the ultimate boilerplate language, every time I see C# code anywhere, it's always some bullshit framework code with hideous variable names generated by the boiler plate factories.

No significant programmer experience in my case, but damn I'm impressed by the possibilites of TI Basic (I know it's not properly called this way, but everybody uses this name) on Texas Instruments calculators. There is an abundant world of gaming for these technically extremely limited (on the level of early to mid 80ies homecomputers) machines to be discovered (programmed with TI-Basic or, more complex, with ASM). I got this book that teaches programming with the TI-84 and even though I'm quite primitive in my attempts it's a wonderful way to get a first grasp on universal aspects and concepts of programming. I'm working my way through the book and find it very stimulating, especially for a guy with basically zero programming experience like me. Working within the technical confines of such a rather simple device (24 kb RAM, 480 kb flash rom = HD) must be similar of programming back in the 80ies I imagine. I just wanted to drop that here for anybody interested in an unconventional and astonishingly flexible way of getting into the matter.

Last edited:

ds

Cipher
Patron
I still have my TI-83 Plus from high school, not that I needed it any time after that when no longer subject to artificial restrictions on what computing devices I am allowed to use to solve problems. Just put in some batteries and it still turns on - cleared the RAM though so would need to reinstall MirageOS and all games. Brings back memories. I think the most impressive game for that thing was / is Wolfenstein83 - strangely not included in the games list you linked.

I still have my TI-83 Plus from high school, not that I needed it any time after that when no longer subject to artificial restrictions on what computing devices I am allowed to use to solve problems. Just put in some batteries and it still turns on - cleared the RAM though so would need to reinstall MirageOS and all games. Brings back memories. I think the most impressive game for that thing was / is Wolfenstein83 - strangely not included in the games list you linked.
Yeah, Wolf83 is great. But I also highly admire The Verdante Forest, Joltima , Donut Quest, Block Dude (naturally!), Desolate, Lemmings, Reuben Quest, Dying Eyes, Mark the Superkid Quest, Sim City and a ton more. There seems to be no limit to what genres can be replicated on these devices. In a simple and limited way, sure, but working very well. The craziest thing I've ever played is Ultima V on the TI-89. Almost a perfect port of the original game (alas riddled with some bugs - cure poisoning doesn't seem to work), with custom controls adapted to the calculator. And the shooters on the TI-89/92/200 are crazy (just look at Corridor 99 for the TI-89).
When I discovered this strange world of calculator games I purchased every single model of TI calculators I could get my greedy hands on. The only ones I still regularly use now and then are the TI-84 Plus and the TI-89 though.

EDIT: And Wolf is in there, you have to go to the section specifically for MirageOS-games here. Direct link here.

Last edited:

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've been coding in Java for a while and really love IntelliJ. What's the equivalent IDE for C++? I'll be jumping to learning C++ soon.

C++ Lion is a commercial IDE built on top of IntelliJ IDEA. If you prefer something free, you can try Visual Studio Code.
I used CLion to do some tinkering in C and it was fantastic. Lots of great checks and very comfortable to use. Can recommend, even though it costs money

Yeah, C# is meh... It's basically Java but made by Microsoft, and for whatever reason, the average C# developer is always several times worse than the average Java developer.

I feel like it's the ultimate boilerplate language, every time I see C# code anywhere, it's always some bullshit framework code with hideous variable names generated by the boiler plate factories.
Yeah C# is pretty meh. It sort of sits in a very odd place commercially, that it is it satisfies a very small niche genre of desktop.

It has a fair few monstrosity frameworks (like the horrible WPF) that it plugs into and its syntax is just bloatware.

Having said that its a pretty useful desktop programming language for windows. Definitely more convenient than Java if you are writing a windows desktop app. But of course it pales in comparison to all the Enterprisey stuff Java has.

I kind of regret choosing C# as my "stack" as its not anywhere near as strong as Java commercially. Harder to find contract work.

I use it for my hand written game engine. However if I would go again I would use C++.

OndrejSc

Full Auto
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
C.jpg

C WAS easy, in the sense that, because it's such a low level clusterfuck of a language to work with (pointer arithmetic, manual memory management, etc), C projects had to be a lot simpler in order to get completed on time. As more modern languages came out and gradually replaced C in most niches, developers could become more productive, and now you could increase the business complexity of the projects. So in absolute terms, probably nothing changed, before you were digging holes in the ground with a shovel (C), and now you are building fancy Gothic Cathedrals with electric dildos (Java, C#, Python, etc), but the amount of work for the programmer is roughly the same.

C has a lot of language features which I wish C coders would use FAR less often (pointer arithmetic, enums in place of ints), but which I still consider critically important, and it's such a shame so many other languages don't support them.

Pointer arithmetic is great for working with arrays and strings, and replacing enums with ints allows a lot of tricks like using arrays as crude dictionaries.

Obviously, C programmers abuse these insanely often to the point of absurdity, and it utterly destroys their programs, but I wish other languages would stop treating me like a child and let me do dangerous things. Modern "advanced" languages don't even let me use Multiple Inheritance, which is critically important for certain program designs (try making a usable UI framework without multiple inheritance). Even Microsoft seems to have realised how much of a mistake this was, and added "default implementations" to interfaces in modern C# versions, essentially turning interfaces into a crappier version of Multiple Inheritance.

I find it insane how languages are either way too basic and unrestrained in their power, to the point of encouraging some of the worst programming practices in the industry, or are explicitly designed to hold your hand and not let you do anything powerful or interesting.

Last edited:
Meh, all these code monkeys making games in C/C++, and now in C# (Unity), meanwhile the Gigachad coded a 2.5 billion game in Java (Minecraft, supposedly a very slow language), and Godot, one of the trendy game engines out now not named Unity/Unreal is coded in essentially Python with multi-threading support.

Oh yeah, that's right, the Python with multi-threading support (GDScript) is the scripting language.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom